Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 09:19 PM

830 posts, read 1,064,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGF View Post
White Christmas can be cool .
I am sorry but by the middle of January I am wondering why any of us live here!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 09:33 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
I am sorry but by the middle of January I am wondering why any of us live here!!!!
I agree, I couldn't stand the winter. I do miss it the rest of the year. With the back problem I have, I would be almost immobilized by the snow. I think the Snowbirds have the best of both worlds. They enjoy the good weather and then come down here to Florida for the winter.

I don't miss a White Christmas at all.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:24 AM
BGF

57 posts, read 203,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
I think by taking one sentence out of my post, you missed the entire point. I don't know about you, but I can't afford to have a butler, so the person de-icing the car is none other than yours truly.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:22 PM

5 posts, read 22,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazab12 View Post
You got it exactly. MA is turning to crap by the minute. I got out of there as soon as I POSSIBLY could. When people say MA people are rude, they are RIGHT! The only reason some people like MA is because they've never been anywhere else. Everything is expensive, crime is growing and growing, the amount of people on welfare is growing, it's hard to find a place to go that isn't nasty or dirty, and 99% of the people are unfriendly and stuck up. The people who say it's great are living in denial. It used to be a nice place but it has simply turned to hell and it's not getting better, it's getting worse. The only place I'd reccomend is the Berkshires but alas there are no jobs there. If you like living in a crowded scummy place with the WORST ROADS IN THE ENTIRE NATION and yes, I have been to every state, and to top it off pretentious, arrogant, unfriendly people and a big chunk of welfare recipients living off of your dime to buy drugs, steal from you and shoot at people, then move there. Oh and the taxes, those are great, too. Don't forget the lovely excise tax on your vehicle. And don't forget about the state police who would rather ticket you than clean up the place. The whole state STINKS. If you live there open up your eyes and experience another place to see what life could be like. Every time I have to go to MA I cringe in disgust. It really is that bad.
With the exception of the excise tax and worst roads, for a minute there I thought you were describing Florida . I agree that Massachusetts has its share of rudeness. However, rudeness is in every state. You can't take the type A personalities in Mass so personal. It's the nature of the beast. Not everyone is rude by far.

There are things I would miss if I were to leave Massachusetts. I love the changing of the seasons and gasping at the beauty of the winter snow . I enjoy eating ice cream at kimball farm, strawberry picking, and visiting the ethnic restaurants of Lexington. Boston Logan Airport is only a few hours away from Europe by plane. I took advantage of that when I traveled to the UK to visit family. My wife and I enjoy visiting Cambridge and touring Harvard square. Not everyone can see Harvard University and MIT up close. It was a pleasure to be around such intellectualism. I plan to enroll in a Harvard extension course as a non-degree student after our second child is born.

There is a greater part of me that misses Florida and the fruits, nuts, and sluts that make up the state . My wife has a nice job in Massachusetts and I am grad school. Eventually, we both want to move back to FL.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:59 PM

54 posts, read 130,164 times
We miss everything you said and plan to move back to our home state MASS next year from this hellhole called the South.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:56 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I miss Mass, but I think I actually miss New England as a whole rather than just Mass. I don't miss the car insurance rates and long commutes in Mass. I miss the food, the people and the many small towns and quick access to several big cities in the region. I miss that homey stable non transient feeling the area has. I really miss knowing my neighbors.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:37 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,526 times
I miss Massachusetts A LOT. I've been merely a tourist, but it's left an indelible imprint on me. It's one of those places that I feel strangely attached to. From the first time I was surprised how friendly people are: I was told they were snobbish and rude! But they've always been helpful and extremely polite, in a charmingly reserved, quiet way. And the beauty of the architecture and scenery, the ocean, the country life, Boston is an awesome city, the cultural vibe... A bit like a better manicured Europe, but so American at the same time. I would move there in a heartbeat (fear not, I have no plans, sadly lol).

Old 04-18-2009, 05:00 PM

654 posts, read 466,264 times
I miss some of it. I miss the four seasons, not necessarily the long winters, but I miss the fall. I love the crisp cool breeze, apple season, wearing sweaters. I miss the Cape, Rhode Island, and Southern Maine in the summer. I am not the biggest the sports fan, but I love Massachusetts sport fanatics--so much enthusiasm and loyalty. I love the Western Part of the state, especially the Berkshires. I miss the wit, sarcasm, intelligence, and energy of the people.

I don't miss stress--everyone seems to be in a rush. I don't miss the aggressive driving. I don't miss the dating scene--there is a certain skepticism among people from Mass. For example, if you were out in a bar and someone new came up to you to start a conversation, there is a feeling of "what does this person want from me" that I don't get in other parts of the country, especially with the women. But that is mass culture--people are reserved and insular.

There is a "shell", that some people have trouble with. Once you break that shell, you will find some of the most wonderful, caring, and loyal people. Friendships are almost like having another brother--just another extension of the family.

I may come back to MA one day, but the Mountain West has grown on me.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:20 AM

24 posts, read 64,228 times
I just read the last three messages and it was great to hear from people with just positive things to say about Mass. I know every place has it faults, however, for those of us who "DO" miss Massachusetts, it's a lot more refreshing to share the memories and experiences we enjoyed about the state instead of sharing the "faults". Thanks for the messages.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:23 AM

228 posts, read 796,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandnsea2 View Post
We miss everything you said and plan to move back to our home state MASS next year from this hellhole called the South.
Where are you, and why do you feel it's so bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts