Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 06:49 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times

Advertisements

In your situation, I would look at Bedford, Burlington and Carlisle, easier to get to the South Shore relatives on the weekends and all easy commutes to Chelmsford and other places of employment should your job situation change. Carlisle is part of Concord-Carlisle school system and high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 06:58 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
If I were commuting between Marblehead and Chelmsford, I'd periodically get off the interstates and drive Rte. 129 as much as I could.

That's how I go from Revere to Billerica.

Rt 129 is a decent road to take. Plenty of Dunks, and the Hess on Rt38 in Wilmington (129 piggybacks on 38 for a couple miles) is the cheapest gas around.

I'd rather drive an extra 10 min on 129 vs sit on I-95

BTW...how many times are they going to repave 95?

Old 05-07-2014, 08:29 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,991,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
BTW...how many times are they going to repave 95?
Until they get it right?

Ha ha ha ha, just kidding. We all know they'll never get it right.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:44 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Quote:
it depends if im coming in backroads (via lynnfield) or 128. if 128 i take 114 exit and go central to walnut st to cut to salem. not exactly a hidden secret.

if backroads im kinda clueless. i take lowell st the whole way. is this dumb?
I'd stay away from 114. That area is a nightmare because you have the confluence of mall traffic, 128, 1, and all the traffic moving in/out of Salem via 114. Also, there are two 'Lowell Streets' - not sure if you mean the one that runs through Peabody alongside 114, or the 129/Lowell St through Reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

Rt 129 is a decent road to take. Plenty of Dunks, and the Hess on Rt38 in Wilmington (129 piggybacks on 38 for a couple miles) is the cheapest gas around.

I'd rather drive an extra 10 min on 129 vs sit on I-95
This is more or less what I was thinking, trying to get towards the coast/1a farther south rather than in the morass around Peabody. Though if by Lowell St. the OP means 129, they may already be doing one variation on this.

I'd experiment with routes into Marblehead via Lynn/Swampscott rather than via Salem. I don't know Lynn quite as well, so I don't have any specific suggestions on what's actually best, but you could kick off 129 and stay on Walnut into Lynn and stay south of the ponds to avoid following the kick back to the north along 1.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Until they get it right?

Ha ha ha ha, just kidding. We all know they'll never get it right.

Well, repaving is near constant in many areas. I've not in 15 years gone from Chicago to Wisc without construction. Some places are smarter though. They invest (pay more for) in cement instead of asphalt.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:55 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, repaving is near constant in many areas. I've not in 15 years gone from Chicago to Wisc without construction. Some places are smarter though. They invest (pay more for) in cement instead of asphalt.
Cement in Boston? That will crack after 1 winter.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:24 PM

350 posts, read 1,090,940 times
Yes it is very common in the Boston area for people to commute 60-90 minutes, and yes they do get used to it. Your level of aggravation may vary depending on whether you drive or take the train or T. However, talk to people who have a short commute and you will see how very life changing it can be, in a positive way!

We went for a shorter commute and a lesser house than we could have had in the farther suburbs. We could not be happier with that decision! I can make it door-to-door in 25-30 minutes. (The actual drive time is about 20-25 minutes.) That means I have time to have a life during the week outside of work! What a thought!!! I can go to the gym after work (5 minutes from my house) and still get home earlier than others are just coming from work. And I can leave the house at a reasonable hour in the morning (7:30-7:45a) ...

When we moved here, the commute was one of our #1 decisions as to where to live as it can really have a dramatic effect on your day-to-day life and happiness.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Cement in Boston? That will crack after 1 winter.

They do it in Wisconsin (parts of the freeways) and it works well there. Not any warmer in that clime. They pave with asphalt the IL side and it is non stop section after section, then you hit WI and it is smooth sailing (driving).

Cement driveways also last forever here while it seems the asphalt ones continually need coating. Asphalt is nasty, toxic stuff anyway.

[Edit: the construction is non stop section after section]

Last edited by timberline742; 05-07-2014 at 12:59 PM..

Old 05-07-2014, 12:55 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
They do it in Wisconsin (parts of the freeways) and it works well there. Not any warmer in that clime. They pave with asphalt the IL side and it is non stop section after section, then you hit WI and it is smooth sailing (driving).

Cement driveways also last forever here while it seems the asphalt ones continually need coating. Asphalt is nasty, toxic stuff anyway.
Interesting, I always thought it was the opposite since I see lots of concrete paver driveways in the South, but very few in the Boston area.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Interesting, I always thought it was the opposite since I see lots of concrete paver driveways in the South, but very few in the Boston area.

Oh, I do too... they're cheaper, but I make the case for concrete. My mother's concrete two car driveway has lasted since the early 1980s. Yeah, there are cracks, but it is solid and there is no reason to replace it.

It's actually interesting when living in the Upper Midwest about what you see on TV... much of it of course is about seed corn/soy and other ag things, but also the concrete frims and the asphalt firms at time come and outright lobby through commercials... one promises a smoother and faster ride (asphalt) (you know, the every other year it isn't being repaved) and the other better value for the money over time (concrete).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts