Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 10:36 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I There are more uncultured "hicks" in the Boston suburbs than there are in GA! For example, I was waiting for the elevator the other day and a girl walked out w/her mom said "Look mommy, it's a Chinese person!"
I'm not suprise as Asian population in MA is only 4.6% and much less in the suburb. Most towns around here are 90+% white. When the threshold gets over 10%, you will see much less of this. This will not happen in Quincy, Malden, Lawrence and Boston.

People here are not very mobile. In the smaller towns, 3-5 generations have lived in the same town. Unless you lived here for 10+yrs, you are consider an outsider.

White persons, percent, 2004 87.0%-MA; 80.4%-USA
Black persons, percent, 2004 6.8%-MA; 12.8%-USA
Asian persons, percent, 2004 4.6%-MA; 4.2% -USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 05:21 PM

34 posts, read 129,473 times
You can not simplay compare Atlanta and Boston to compare GA and MA. Subtract these two cities from the equation, and you will see the better picture.

ps. I've lived in both states.

Last edited by osmotic; 12-07-2006 at 05:59 PM..

Old 12-08-2006, 08:29 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLion View Post
Parsec

I have met many idiots from Mass. Uncultured, dumb and totally out of the Loop.
However these idiots are still above the idiots in the deep south.
Mass. has gay marriage, and far more progressive laws then Ga.
Racial polarization is bad in both states- but worse in Ga.
Ga. has made great strides- but would they elect Kerry or Kennedy to the Senate?
I guess I can't really compare "Boston" to "Atlanta" either. In GA, I lived in Atlanta, in Fulton Co. which was probably one of the few GA counties that Kerry won in 2004. Now in "Boston" I'm actually in Hudson which is like 35 miles from Boston. So of course Atlanta would be more progressive than Hudson is. Atlanta, believe it or not, is very gay, especially in the midtown area. I got hit on all the time. Outside of Atlanta I would agree w/you that the rest of GA is more backwards than most of MA.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:36 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
I'm not suprise as Asian population in MA is only 4.6% and much less in the suburb. Most towns around here are 90+% white. When the threshold gets over 10%, you will see much less of this. This will not happen in Quincy, Malden, Lawrence and Boston.

People here are not very mobile. In the smaller towns, 3-5 generations have lived in the same town. Unless you lived here for 10+yrs, you are consider an outsider.

White persons, percent, 2004 87.0%-MA; 80.4%-USA
Black persons, percent, 2004 6.8%-MA; 12.8%-USA
Asian persons, percent, 2004 4.6%-MA; 4.2% -USA
Yup, I think my town is closer to 96% White.

That 4.6% Asian still doesn't tell how few Chinese there are because it includes South Asians (Indians) and Southeast Asians (Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laotians). So after you factor that in, MA is probably closer to 1 or 2% Chinese.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:43 PM

426 posts, read 2,322,333 times
I think it is a shame that many of you so-called open minded northerners are so quick to steryotype the people in Georgia. I live just outside of Atlanta and I have been here my whole life. There are certain communities where if you move there the people will be close minded and overly-religious. These areas include Forsyth County on the fringes of the northern suburbs. Our Metro area is expanding so much because you people from the north keep moving down here in droves. Over 1 million people flooded the Metro area over the last decade...most coming from the northeast. Something here must have appealed to them. And since our population has yet to start declining, something must be keeping them here.

You guys come down here looking for big homes, low taxes, and a better quality of life. So many of you Northerners buy $500,000 homes in far out suburbs with 4 bedrooms and 4.5 bathrooms and 4000 square feet. Contrary to popular belief one can not get all that within close proximity to the city. Our new home prices are rising rapidly due to an infux in our transient population. So, after moving an hour from where you will be working so you can live in your McMansion, you all then complain about the commute into the city, which with traffic could easily turn into two hours. No, Atlanta does not have an expansive transit system. Racism during the 60s kept marta in Fulton and Dekalb County and out of the other 11 counties. But, I assume that people from the north visit Atlanta before they move here and clearly they see how spread out our suburbs are and how nonexistant our public transportation is.

People here are not all Jesus freaks. Some do hold their religion in high regard, but being the liberal state that MA is I would expect that you all respect people's right to worship and lead their lives as they see fit. Most people are not going to down you because you are not Christian, most people don't care that much. They might talk about the salvation of your soul or whatnot in accordance to what the Christian religion teaches but people are not going to exclude you from their circles if they find out that you are Catholic instead of Babtist or have no religion at all. I can't speak for the south as a whole but in ATlanta, people respect you for who you are as long as you don't try to impose your views upon them.

As as for southerners having accents, this is of course true in some places. I am a native Atlantan as are my parents and all of us speak with a non-regional accent. This is true for every native Atlantan I know of. Those with southern accents come from other places throughout the southeast. And Atlantans dont look down on those with southern accents the same way I wouldnt look down on one of you coming down here with a distintive Northern accent. The Metro area is a very liberal seat in the middle of a red south. People here for the most part are friendly, genuinely, because we were actually raised with manners, and we were taught to love thy brother as thyself. Contrary to your beliefs, we use our religion for more than a tool to shut people out of our social groups.

Someone even alleged that ATlanta had no culture. What an ignorant statement! In the suburbs there is for the most part the same strip malls with the same stores: Wal-Mart, Target, Lowe's, Home Depot, Kroger, etc. These stores are needed and since the metro is so spread out you'll see the same big box stores in every city in the metro so people don't have to drive too far to buy the things they need. BUT, we have thriving samll businesses here as well in the downtown areas of all the cities that make up the metro area. Atlanta has an arts center with a center fot puppetry arts, an opera, a symphony orchestra, hundreds of theatres, etc. We have indenpendent movie theatres that show independent films. We have eclectic districts filled with small boutiques catering to those of the "counter-culture". We have hundreds of festivals here from the beloved Dogwood Festival to the West Indian Carnival to the Sweet Auburn Fesitval. There are hundred of upscale restaurants located in the Buckhead and Midtown areas and other scattered throught the more upscale suburbs. Our private schools rang among the top in the country. We have the largest consortium of Black colleges in the nation giving rise to Atlanta's reputation as a mecca for the Black middle class. Atlanta is home to the Center for Disease Control and Yerkes. Atlanta has the world's busiest airport and is home to Delta, Home Depot, Cingular Wireless, and Coca-Cola. To assume that we are some small backwards southern city you would be sadly mistaken. Atlanta has some of the same attractive qualities and same issues as any major American city. Maybe if you all didn't buy a home in the middle of nowhere so you could get your McMansion you would be able to partake in all the things that make Atlanta great.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:24 PM

439 posts, read 721,546 times
Lots of people have stereotypes of Georgia and the deep south- many are true, and untrue.

No one would dispute that Atlanta has culture, be in the arts, music, plus great recreational venues in sports and wonderful gardens. And restaurants other then 'chains'....

And it is much cheaper then Boston, and has a milder climate.

But the rampant growth is causing problems, with endless sprawl, increasing crime, pollution, traffic worse then Boston- and summers that are HOT.

I guess it matters what one is seeking. I had a dear friend from Macon, I met over 10 years ago while he was working in CT- and he was the most pleasant generous man I ever knew- but he did not like Atlanta, said it was hard to meet people there.

Regional differences exist in this country- and local boosterism is normal.
When it becomes vitriolic that is sad.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:24 PM

72 posts, read 412,217 times
Hey StVincent: Be grateful so many "northerners" are moving to your state. Rising property values are a sign of economic stability. Would you agree? Be grateful northerners are moving to your state and driving up property values!What exactly do you mean by McMansion? Yes, many of us are Irish in the northeast. Is that a problem for you? You're right in saying that people in Georgia won't "put you down" for being Catholic instead of Baptist. They just won't talk to you, that's all. In MA, people believe in freedom in religion. They just don't want other people forcing their views down their throat.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:37 PM

663 posts, read 1,864,064 times
I was born and raised in the Boston area and am in Atlanta now.

I agree with St. Vincent. His reference to "McMansions" has nothing to do with Irish people, btw. It is a widely used term referring to cookie-cutter houses in master-planned subdivisions. After McDonalds I think.

The only reason I and other long-time Boston area residents like the area is because of that nowhere-like-home sentimentality and charm, which Boston and Mass. are very good at producing, unlike many American cities.

However, Atlanta is a much more practical metro area - people can actually afford to own the house they deserve to own there, the climate is much more favorable, the freeway network is much better - no comparison, more favorable business climate etc. All of this and just wait another 10-15 years - Atlanta will be grow into a much bigger metro area and may be more of a true International city than Boston. 6-7 million people is the projection for Atlanta, whereas Boston will still be the same size due to limited growth and will continue to cling to its provincial feel and attitudes.

Atlanta is a hard-working youngster with a bright future - a bold, vibrant metro area of the new south. Boston (and Mass.) is a distinguished and proud gentleman who has accomplished so much. But his age is definitely showing and he can be hard to live with.

Last edited by darkone; 01-04-2007 at 12:47 PM..

Old 01-04-2007, 01:13 PM

512 posts, read 1,755,093 times
I have to say that Savannah was one of the prettiest cities I have ever seen. I am a white dude that stayed a few nights in a poor black neighborhood Savannah, assisting a small church. The people were very kind, and those massive trees impressed me so much.

Boston has a reputation for being a very racist city. Check google for that one.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:24 PM

439 posts, read 721,546 times
Boston can be racist

but most of Georgia will bash or call you Fa**** you if you are gay- they still have the sodomy laws in GA- I believe. Atlanta has a fairly active gay community, but the laws are pretty regressive. Also they have no hate crime laws passed. At least in Boston- you have a legal leg to stand on if discriminated against, if gay/ Lesbian /bisexual/ or trans gendered. That does count for something. although racism still exists just about everywhere. Mass. rates near the top for gay rights laws, GA rates in the bottom third.

Last edited by Dragondog; 01-04-2007 at 01:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts