Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2014, 05:10 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
No. Rather: You simply don't like that reasonable people disagree with your priorities. You simply cannot fathom that reasonable people think that boycotting MB is a pointless and petulant feel-good gesture, deficient of significance. You simply aren't willing to grant that someone could be both informed and think your perspective is wrong. So how about we stop talking about each other and restrict our comments to the topic?

They have a reason. What is the excuse of all the rest of those engaging in this behavior?
Most Costumers want employees to keep their job because they know them and the want to keep a store with low price groceries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 05:32 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Again, the issue is consistency: Consumers don't consistently support workers walking off the job for conditions better than those the MB employees had before walking off the job.

Also, let's not forget that jobs weren't in jeopardy before the walk-out. If consumers really cared about employees keeping their jobs, they would have protested the walk-out. That is, if those consumers wanted their actions to match their words.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:26 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
The protest is due to the personal loyalty to one man, Artie T. The customers are backing up the employees.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:54 AM

578 posts, read 572,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I think you have the names reversed. Arthur S. and his allies hold the majority.
Correct. I had seafood restaurants on my mind.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:34 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Again, the issue is consistency: Consumers don't consistently support workers walking off the job for conditions better than those the MB employees had before walking off the job.

Also, let's not forget that jobs weren't in jeopardy before the walk-out. If consumers really cared about employees keeping their jobs, they would have protested the walk-out. That is, if those consumers wanted their actions to match their words.
Consistent to what? They know Art S is going to sell out the company and they don't want it to happen because prices will go up (reason for costumer support) and employee benefits will be crushed which is why employees are on strike or it will be another shaws.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:26 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
I suppose, but I think there are other aspects. You probably entered the discussion late, and so you may not know what I've been concerned about - specifically, the inconsistency of the general public in their standing up for these principles. I believe many are simply reacting to the exploitation of mob mentality. Perhaps they hold these values, truly, but they have failed to act on them consistently in the past. MB, even under current management, is among the least grievous offenders. The "offenses" regarding treatment of employees and product pricing have been generally ignored as committed by more grievous offenders.

And now I suspect we're seeing glimmers of the reality that the boycott itself is driving the situation to a conclusion that is the exact opposite of what the protest wanted. Sad.
Of course you're totally correct in your quixotic attempt to correct the internal inconsistencies of shopping at WalMart to protest Market Basket. Since when have people been consistent about anything, though, especially about the latest cause célèbre?

I suspect that in the absence of external forces, most people who are boycotting MB stand for notions like better treatment and pay for low-level employees, but are rarely see the opportunity to directly contribute to such an ideal. As you correctly point out, places like WalMart are likely still more egregious offenders than whatever MB would become, so shopping at WalMart seems anti-thetical to the stated purposes of the MB protest.

I would say you are demanding internal self-consistency at the expense of pragmatism. The MB protests are disruptive enough that one might expect an outcome and one feels connected to that outcome. In other words, there is a belief that protesting will lead to a positive outcome, i.e. a good company will stay a good company rather than becoming a mediocre one. With other stores, in the absence of a similar collective action, individual action has little chance of effect, so people do not expend the energy to act. I would say it's similar to the reason why people vote for the less offensive major party candidate even when their beliefs align more closely with a third party candidate.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:39 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:

Incorrect. The jobs themselves may exist, but the conditions would not have been the same.

And even if I wasn't boycotting MB, why would I go? I suspect lots of people aren't going because the shelves are bare so there is no point.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:51 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Incorrect. The jobs themselves may exist, but the conditions would not have been the same.
How do you know that? The only report I have heard was a reduction in the profit-sharing contribution. And, of course, the irony is that by walking out, profits have plummeted which means less benefits for the workers if/when they return.

Otherwise, I heard of no other cuts to jobs, benefits, or pay for the workers. By contrast, I would be curious why people didn't walk out on the conditions before, where a company making billions per year was still paying 15-year employees $11/hr as cashiers, as I heard several MB employees begrudge months ago. *shrug*

Old 08-08-2014, 09:33 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
How do you know that?

Track record of the new CEOs

Old 08-08-2014, 10:18 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:

Eh not exactly.

This stands out quite a bit because frankly if you were to ask any of us about the chances of such a thing in a non union shop I'd imagine that everyone would get fired at the drop of a hat.

25,000 employees and so far it has been eight. Although part timers have no hours and supposedly are not being laid off.

If the majority wants him back then why not just hire him back? If a business plan works for all parties then why change it? What specifically can be gained by the owners, consumers and or employees?

So far S has not said anything specific as to why T was let go. No financial charts released, no internal investigations, no record of malfeasance. In the court of public opinion you have to speak truth to power and frankly S hasn't done a damn thing.

if they *really* wanted to replace S then why hire someone with a background at Radio Shack and Kmart/Sears? That makes little sense.

Sudden and abrupt change is shunned in business environments (especially in Asia). Try as they might converting from a private company to something foreign or publically traded isn't going to work.

I'm thinking that either T caves in by the end of the month or the place gets sold/merged with Publix. Publix is employee owned and kinda private. It is based in the southeast and frankly they are not large enough to have monopoly disputes. Hy Vee might fall into this as well.But is it enough? I don't know..hard to say.

Just some simple game theory here but if T is gone and lets say people go back to work. Prices go up, wages go down. That might ripple across the state. Competition drives lower costs. Collusion does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts