Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 05:59 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Can't really speak for New Bedford, but I was in Fall River recently and it certainly is not rising at the moment. Almost seems cursed at times.
I think you misappropriated a quote about New Bedford to me. I have never been to Fall River or New Bedford so I always refrain from making any comments about that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 06:19 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I think you misappropriated a quote about New Bedford to me. I have never been to Fall River or New Bedford so I always refrain from making any comments about that area.
Corrected, sorry about that.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I don't think Lowell is underrated. It is one of the few satellite cites to get any recognition.
I would love for you to be right about Lowell and I do think that among newcomers to New England and younger people that Lowell gets a fair shake. However among the older, long term residents of the neighboring towns there is still a tendency for negative judgment and I think that stems from two possible reasons. Said people have not been in Lowell since the days of "High on Crack Street: Lost Lives in Lowell" and they are expressing an ignorant opinion or they are denigrating the city intentionally due to envy.

The overall area has improved somewhat. As the saying goes: a rising tide lifts all boats, however Lowell has improved and come along much further than any of the surrounding communities. No other community surrounding Lowell has sought out and implemented nearly as much economic redevelopment as Lowell itself.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:45 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I would love for you to be right about Lowell and I do think that among newcomers to New England and younger people that Lowell gets a fair shake. However among the older, long term residents of the neighboring towns there is still a tendency for negative judgment and I think that stems from two possible reasons. Said people have not been in Lowell since the days of "High on Crack Street: Lost Lives in Lowell" and they are expressing an ignorant opinion or they are denigrating the city intentionally due to envy.

The overall area has improved somewhat. As the saying goes: a rising tide lifts all boats, however Lowell has improved and come along much further than any of the surrounding communities. No other community surrounding Lowell has sought out and implemented nearly as much economic redevelopment as Lowell itself.
You're right. I guess what I meant is that in relation to many other cities/towns in MA , it has a status they could only dream of. Those places don't get respect from ANY crowd. But Lowell has worked very hard and certainly deserves some recognition in comparison to places like Brockton where there is no contest. Kind of like the under-rated Tom Brady/NE Patriots of the early 2000's against the KC Chiefs.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
You're right. I guess what I meant is that in relation to many other cities/towns in MA , it has a status they could only dream of. Those places don't get respect from ANY crowd. But Lowell has worked very hard and certainly deserves some recognition in comparison to places like Brockton where there is no contest. Kind of like the under-rated Tom Brady/NE Patriots of the early 2000's against the KC Chiefs.
From that perspective I agree with you. Lowell is far better off right now than most of the other gateway cities. I would only add that the old stereotype will not fade away 100% unless two things happen simultaneously; those being (1) a continued effort by Lowell city leaders to keep social conditions in the city on the upswing and (2) the long term, baby boomer residents of the surrounding communities move on or pass on. Then any remaining negative reputation will fade away and Lowell will be assessed by people on its current merits.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:50 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Any of the waterfront town surrounding Fall River and New Bedford are undervalued and quite nice. Swansea, Tiverton, Fairhaven, Westport and Dartmouth in particular.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:14 AM

12,864 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
In the SE, Fall River and New Bedford are rising again.
Fall River is stagnant at best. There have been some visible additions (particularly waterfront area restaurants), but it's been an even trade off with the loss of other institutions (particularly other small restaurants in the city). There are gems (Portugalia Imports is right off I-195 and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes high end specialty food and produce as well as exotic wine and beer), but culturally and economically the city is depressed and doesn't really show many signs of improvement.

New Bedford has seen more public and private economic investment than Fall River. That's largely due to the fact that it's a more viable seaport (FR is further inland and doesn't have the infrastructure). It has also seen a relative surge in small business activity downtown. Storefront vacancies are down, and there is healthy business turnover. Aesthetically downtown New Bedford is a gem. Functionally, it has shown relatively significant improvement over the past 10-15 years. However, like Fall River, the city's populous is largely uneducated. Unemployment is high and while it's decreasing, it's doing so at a much slower rate than the rest of the state. Crime is too high and remains that way. New Bedford has shown signs of reaching its potential, but it still suffers from a populous that seems culturally indifferent to the city's troubles. Downtown is great. The coastal location is prime. There are a bunch of great historic neighborhoods. However, high crime, unemployment and low educational attainment levels combined with slow economic growth make New Bedford a few hairs short of full on "revival" mode. Progress is there, it's just too slow right now.

I always give Fall River and New Bedford an edge over most other industrial towns because I think the coastal locations make them not only more viable economicallly, but more aesthetically pleasing. I can picture owning a house along East Beach in New Bedford and seeing the look of surprise as I tell my kid how "we used to have to look out for needles left by junkies in the sand." Unfortunately, that feels a ways off. I still would consider NB underrated for the right person.

I would also agree with places like Dartmouth, Fairhaven, Westport, Mattapoisett, Marion, etc. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I don't hate that they're fairly undiscovered either.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:47 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
From the relatively low cost of real estate it appears that Melrose unfairly slips beneath the radar sometimes, but I think it's a neat little 'burb. You have a somewhat seamless mix of incomes (I said "somewhat"), fairly compact and self-contained neighborhoods, decent green spaces, a walkable and inviting downtown, and - hidden gem - America's oldest municipal symphony orchestra.
I think the cat's out of the bag regarding Everett and Malden. Ditto for Quincy. But whenever Lynn pops up on C-D I get the sense that there's still an overall sense of hesitation. Lowell and Haverhill have taken some knocks - perhaps I understate - but are in a "discovery" phase. Lawrence, however, has a ways to go - shall we say.
Ditto on Wusstah, but here again I think the cat's out of the bag. The Fashion Outlets "epic fail" downtown has bitten the dust. Commuter rail service has been a hit and is being increased - and Union Station, wow! I remember it when...
Pittsfield? Ehhh...some 25 years after Berkshire County lost bragging rights as the only county in the state without a mall, downtown may no longer be reeling but it's still no destination. A focally situated theater, marquee intact, now is home to a social services center. Lots of vacant storefronts fill the streets between the occasional restaurants. There are plenty of other places to do bicycle business or adopt a pet. The Y is showing its age on the outside. Building makeovers have happened, and the Berkshire Museum is a definite asset. Excellent older homes in stable neighborhoods are easy to find. However, overall my assessment of Pittsfield is that it's rebounding slowly from the mall's opening and GE leaving town, if at all. North Adams doesn't exactly seem to have had a turnaround in fortune after its "savior" MassMOCA opened, either.
Easthampton and Beverly are my picks for "most underrated cities/towns," when all's said and done. But in both cases I think the train's about to leave the station.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:52 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Fall River is stagnant at best. There have been some visible additions (particularly waterfront area restaurants), but it's been an even trade off with the loss of other institutions (particularly other small restaurants in the city). There are gems (Portugalia Imports is right off I-195 and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes high end specialty food and produce as well as exotic wine and beer), but culturally and economically the city is depressed and doesn't really show many signs of improvement.

New Bedford has seen more public and private economic investment than Fall River. That's largely due to the fact that it's a more viable seaport (FR is further inland and doesn't have the infrastructure). It has also seen a relative surge in small business activity downtown. Storefront vacancies are down, and there is healthy business turnover. Aesthetically downtown New Bedford is a gem. Functionally, it has shown relatively significant improvement over the past 10-15 years. However, like Fall River, the city's populous is largely uneducated. Unemployment is high and while it's decreasing, it's doing so at a much slower rate than the rest of the state. Crime is too high and remains that way. New Bedford has shown signs of reaching its potential, but it still suffers from a populous that seems culturally indifferent to the city's troubles. Downtown is great. The coastal location is prime. There are a bunch of great historic neighborhoods. However, high crime, unemployment and low educational attainment levels combined with slow economic growth make New Bedford a few hairs short of full on "revival" mode. Progress is there, it's just too slow right now.

I always give Fall River and New Bedford an edge over most other industrial towns because I think the coastal locations make them not only more viable economicallly, but more aesthetically pleasing. I can picture owning a house along East Beach in New Bedford and seeing the look of surprise as I tell my kid how "we used to have to look out for needles left by junkies in the sand." Unfortunately, that feels a ways off. I still would consider NB underrated for the right person.

I would also agree with places like Dartmouth, Fairhaven, Westport, Mattapoisett, Marion, etc. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I don't hate that they're fairly undiscovered either.
Once Cape wind really gets going New Bedford May become a hub for the wind industry, because they will have more industry true for it than any other city, but at the same time its crime rate is much higher than Lowl or Fall River.
Umass Dartmouth being in Dartmouth not NB, and being much smaller than ULowell is hurting NB. NEW Bedford and Fall River need Advocates like Marty Meehan and Paul Tsongas, while the lack there of is partially due to gerrymandering splitting both Cities NB and FR in the intrest of Ensuring Democrats winning all districts Safely rather than all regions getting a fair shake, The SE corner of the State is represented in Congress by a Cape Codder, A Kennedy in Brookline and one from Worcester County
The Merrimack Valley got Lowell, Lawrence, Haverhill, Methuen, etc together as a regional intrest allowing. Lowell, Haverhill, and Methuen to rebound

Old 08-31-2014, 01:20 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I'd keep an eye out on Pittsfield. Some of the government openings there appear to be significant team building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts