Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 06:25 PM

12 posts, read 36,522 times

Advertisements

Hello guys, my wife and I are considering relocating to Boston with our family. We like European-style cities and urban life very much. We would love to be able to go about our daily life without needing a car. Would you be so kind as to recommend neighborhoods or walkable suburbs that fit this criteria (at least for the most part):

- Walkability: possibility to reach grocery store, pharmacy, parks, bakeries, catholic church and/or small shopping by walking
- Connected to the city through the “T” or a bus that drop us near a “T” station
- With low crime (for us it’s of upmost importance to find a safe zone free of murders, thieves, guns, school shootings and drugs)
- Family friendly
- Dwelled by educated and cultured people
- Politically moderate (the less polarized the better). But if we have to choose we prefer a blue neighborhood
- With good schools (or at least acceptable)
- Diverse (if possible)
- With affordable housing (3 bed/2 bath)

Thank you so much in advance for any pointers or advice in this regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 06:45 PM

520 posts, read 776,295 times
All of your criteria exists in several areas in and around Boston. The only question is: What is your definition of affordable? Are you looking to rent or buy? What is your budget? Will you be working in Boston/from home/in a suburb?

The answers to these questions will yield much better answers to your questions.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:08 PM

12 posts, read 36,522 times
Hello MidwestRedux, thanks for your reply! Remember that all items are negotiable for us. The only non-negotiable is the safety. Around 350K :S

We would prefer an urban neighborhood, but I don't think we can afford anything in a safe zone of the city

Old 09-02-2014, 08:06 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,242,708 times
If all negotiable than best fit for your budget is Northampton area. Otherwise in Eastern part of MA you will be hard pressed to find SF within your budget with your wish list.

You will have to compromise. Maybe with easy access to T and bus, then you will have options with many great little towns that have things you are looking for, but not that type of urbanity that costs you lot more around here.

See if Quincy or Canton close to Boston have anything in your price range, and if they do jump on it.
Other places to consider: Newburyport, Ipswich, Reading, Wakefield, Melrose, Hopkinton, Holliston, Medway, Franklin, Walpole.
Good luck!

Old 09-02-2014, 08:11 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,649,553 times
Beverly, Swampscott, Danvers

Old 09-02-2014, 09:45 PM

520 posts, read 776,295 times
Based on your preferences and budget, I would strongly recommend my soon to be former hometown of Westborough.

It is about 35 miles from Boston, but has decent commuter rail access. From where I live, within 15-20 minutes you can walk to the train, the grocery store, the gym, library, about a dozen restaurant and more. The town is ridiculously safe, has excellent schools, some diversity and is politically balanced, especially by Mass standards.

You can find decent ranch and cape style homes in town for under 350k. We just sold our 3 bed 2 bath for well under that. If it weren't for the pull of family, we would never leave.

At least on the surface, I think we were looking for the exact same thing you are. We lived in Somerville and loved it but had to move for some space and schools. Anything inside 128 that was nice enough was too expensive. That sent us out to 495 and that's how we found Westborough. It proved to be the perfect compromise for us.

I looked at most of the other places that have been mentioned. If you really want urban and generally safe, Quincy would fit the bill. I was underwhelmed by the reasonably priced homes in Wakefield, Melrose, Hopkinton, Newburyport etc. but they are all nice towns. Northampton is a very interesting suggestion. Its a neat little town and you will get plenty for your money, but you will also be a full 100 miles from Boston.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:33 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,700,201 times
Where are you moving from?

Personally I think you will be disappointed with that budget and wish list. Most of the suburbs you can afford aren't walkable and cars are a necessity. If your goal is easy access to Boston whenever you want, understand that commuter rail service is very sparse outside of traditional rush hours, and some lines have no weekend service at all.

I think you need to go over your list again and decide what you are willing to compromise on.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:09 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,910 times
Crime free in Boston? Not gonna happen.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:21 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Crime free in Boston? Not gonna happen.

Crime rates are exceedingly low here. Probably one of, if not the, safest large city in the country. This entire region is super safe.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:25 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,700,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Crime rates are exceedingly low here. Probably one of, if not the, safest large city in the country. This entire region is super safe.
I'm the first person to say that Boston is a relatively safe place, but your statement is very misleading. There are definitely cities and neighborhoods in the Boston area that would meet most reasonable people's definition of dangerous or unsafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts