Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 05:54 AM

4 posts, read 4,309 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Of course not. ANYTHING is better than heat. Most everything is better than religious conservatives. And almost everything is better than FL whack jobs.

This is borderline the dumbest comment I ever read on here, congrats

I agree, that is a pretty damn stupid comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 06:39 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
The snow never convinced me to move South from the Northeast. Mainly it was the COL in retirement that sent me South.

However the winter storms that I see on my nightly national newscasts has convinced me that I am better off out of the snow belt rather than in it.

Yes it's hot in the summer in NC just like it is in NY, NJ MA, (I've been to Boston on the Fourth) and I use the same method to escape the heat and humidity that I did back home I turn on the A/C the only difference is that my electric bills are 1/3 of what they were up North.

Yes I am in the Buy Bull belt but those people are harmless and they have their own issues to deal with that don't concern me. ( which church we don't like this week)

The only thing about the South that bothers me is the complete lack of concern for quality education among the conservatives here.
Low teacher pay and low student achievement seems to be no big deal as long as we have good college basketball teams.

A few weeks ago a student/player? was dropped from one of the "Name" basketball colleges because of a poor performance in a game the night before.
This is one of these schools I call the Dunk or Flunk U. The only thing you have to pass is a basketball. You don't have to pass you're academic classes, we will fix that for you but if you can't put the ball in the basket you're out.

Back to the original question about wanting to move South.
If you're past 60 and or retired and have been shoveling snow for the past few weeks how could you not consider moving South?

BTW as I type this at 8:45 am it is 29 degrees but in Boston 6 degrees

Old 02-14-2015, 07:50 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayL View Post
I had to laugh at a lot of the posts that are negative about Texas and living in the South with us bad conservatives! LOL.

Just an FYI YA"LL

Today we will be experiencing a brutally cold weather storm consisting of abundant sunshine and "gasp" temperatures today are expected to dip all the way down to 77 degrees. Wind-chill with nw winds of 5-10 mph will bring that down to a beer warming threatening 75 degrees!

I know I will have to prepare for this onslaught of bad weather as today I will be mowing my lawn with cutoffs and flip flops and will don extra layers of protection with my ray ban sun shades to shield my baby blues from the suns rays.

When I get finished today I plan on putting a couple of T-bones on the grill, enjoy a couple more beers outside on the back porch. I may even come inside for a minute to watch the weather up there on my FOX news!

Ya'll take care now up there ya hear!
People's opinion of Texas being this really ultra conservative and messed up state is completely fictional. Texas has more culture and people from all over then New England. Texas is one of the most diverse places I've been in the United States.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:01 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,108,256 times
If you call that culture, you can keep it. I'd rather be homeless, living under the Broadway Bridge than in Texas. Or any place south of the GW for that matter.

Now if we're talking Hawaii, or perhaps SoCal, you may get an ounce of jealousy out of me.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:41 AM

238 posts, read 326,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
People's opinion of Texas being this really ultra conservative and messed up state is completely fictional. Texas has more culture and people from all over then New England. Texas is one of the most diverse places I've been in the United States.
Having spent significant time in Texas I agree. It surprised me too. Although the heat and the general nature of southern culture doesn't interest me personally, despite all the other positive attributes. That said, if necessary, I could be more comfortable in Texas than in many other southern states.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:58 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times
I've never been to TX, but I cant imagine that a state that huge could be filled with people who all think alike, i mean come on. Austin is supposed to be very similar to Boston.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Austin is supposed to be very similar to Boston.
Only as far as the young professional scene.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:50 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times
Default re

Right but those young professionals will move there, stay there and boom the whole city changes

Old 02-14-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Right but those young professionals will move there, stay there and boom the whole city changes
Um yeah. But I don't assume that all change is good change. I don't necessarily buy that what was there before is bad. It is, what it is. But I agree with the earlier point that Texas as a whole is vibrant and diverse. I disagree that Austin is like Boston except for the young professional scene, which is pretty homogenous everywhere, in my opinion.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:31 PM

12,819 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Eh, Austin is great and definitely liberal by TX standards. It's still Texas though. Last time I was there, there were pro abortion demonstrations going on at the statehouse and our shuttle driver asked us if we were visiting to participate. When we said "no," he said "Good. God will punish those who endorse the murder of babies." I know there are pro lifers in Boston but I can't imagine a service employee up here saying something similar while on the job even if that's how they felt. It's just not our culture. It was hardly the last strong pro life opinion I heard voiced in "liberal" Austin. TX is huge. There's a lot of diversity. But it's definitely more conservative in general and a little more open about religion and conservative politics down there. I wouldn't write the whole state off, but even in Austin you're going to feel that more than in Boston. If you fall into that line of thinking, that's a good thing. If not, you'll probably be bothered by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts