Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 10:27 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,242,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Wrong. I commute from Stoughton to Cambridge daily via commuter rail and the Red Line. How about you?

Actually OP Said Kendall. You have given no actual reason why "west" helps; probably because there is no reason.

Rude and frustrated? Like I give a damn lol. I'm simply trying to make sure someone doesn't rely on inaccurate information. Telling someone the commute from Acton is easier than it is from Hingham is inaccurate. It's the same **** from a different direction. Now there may be other reasons why Acton is a better choice, but the commute isn't one of them.
I live and work in Cambridge and Cambridge area for over 27 years, and know very well what I am talking about. Did my time.

Majority of people I deal with on a regular basis live and work in and around this area as well. No one goes to South Shore if commute is to Cambridge every day. Rising RE prices, and huge desirability of western suburbs do not lie.

I have no axe to grind but you apparently have to rant for some reason. Maybe this grievance is better channeled toward MBTA?

In the end, kindness counts. I am sorry that you feel so stressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 10:30 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
I live and work in Cambridge and Cambridge area for over 27 years, and know very well what I am talking about. Did my time.

Majority of people I deal with on a regular basis live and work in and around this area as well. No one goes to South Shore if commute is to Cambridge every day. Rising RE prices, and huge desirability of western suburbs do not lie.

I have no axe to grind but you apparently have to rant for some reason. Maybe this grievance is better channeled toward MBTA?

In the end, kindness counts. I am sorry that you feel so stressed.
No axe to grind, but saying things like "no one goes to South Shore if commute is to Cambridge every day" proves you are making things up since plenty of people do that commute every day.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:39 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,242,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
No axe to grind, but saying things like "no one goes to South Shore if commute is to Cambridge every day" proves you are making things up since plenty of people do that commute every day.
No one who can afford to stay closer to be exact. I can see how some people might need to pick the "poison" of long commute to save on home. Not great situation to be in, but everyone compromises somehow. But I can tell you that we get steady influx on new families who want to stay close and pick Belmont, Arlington, Cambridge, or Watertown to have easier commute. Re is crazy for some time.

You should also consider that many co-workers coming in from Fichburg line are dealing with huge reconstruction project for a while now, which will end in by the end 2015. This line is not at full capacity right now, and there were plenty of delays and other aggravations in the last year or two since this project started. Winter did not help either.

But those who stick with it, will be rewarded later then things are done, and run lot more smoothly. I doubt any of your colleagues will be cashing out, and moving to South Shore because commute is the same.

Last edited by kingeorge; 04-08-2015 at 11:01 AM..

Old 04-08-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
No one who can afford to stay closer to be exact. I can see how some people might need to pick the "poison" of long commute to save on home. Not great situation to be in, but everyone compromises somehow. But I can tell you that we get steady influx on new families who want to stay close and pick Belmont, Arlington, Cambridge, or Watertown to have easier commute. Re is crazy for some time.
There are plenty of reasons why people live on the South Shore and commute to Cambridge besides the cost of housing. It's not good to assume. As me and several posters have pointed out, commuting to Cambridge is equally difficult from many suburbs, not just the South Shore.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:48 AM

51 posts, read 65,012 times
Quote:
I know plenty of people in Hingham and Cohasset who commute to Cambridge, and I would hardly consider those towns affordable. There are plenty of other reasons one might choose the South Shore - being near the coast, family, partner's job location, less dense, etc.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:19 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Hingham is a beautiful town. I can see why the OP was attracted to it.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:36 AM

837 posts, read 1,226,308 times
OP, it's going to be a haul to Kendall no matter where you live if you don't live in the immediate area.

Coming from Hingham, your best bet as someone upthread mentioned would be getting to either the Braintree or Quincy Adams stations (Red Line) as early as possible and taking the train straight in. There's a Kendall stop which puts you right in the middle of the square. From what others have said, taking the commuter rail seems to be a bit unwieldy to me (60-something minutes one way? What?!? I can get to Kendall from Quincy, barring any T issues in 15-20 minutes...)

The other possibility, depending on the season, is taking the ferry from the old Hingham Shipyard to Long Wharf then transferring to South Station or, if it's nice out and you've got the time/inclination, walking up to Downtown Crossing or Park Street and picking up the Red Line from either. The ferry doesn't run in winter, though.

I can't answer for places north or west. Other than the commuter rail which goes into Porter Square where you can pick up the Red Line to Kendall, it seems convoluted to me because there's less of a direct route from either compared to Hingham.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
OP, it's going to be a haul to Kendall no matter where you live if you don't live in the immediate area.

Coming from Hingham, your best bet as someone upthread mentioned would be getting to either the Braintree or Quincy Adams stations (Red Line) as early as possible and taking the train straight in. There's a Kendall stop which puts you right in the middle of the square. From what others have said, taking the commuter rail seems to be a bit unwieldy to me (60-something minutes one way? What?!? I can get to Kendall from Quincy, barring any T issues in 15-20 minutes...)

The other possibility, depending on the season, is taking the ferry from the old Hingham Shipyard to Long Wharf then transferring to South Station or, if it's nice out and you've got the time/inclination, walking up to Downtown Crossing or Park Street and picking up the Red Line from either. The ferry doesn't run in winter, though.

I can't answer for places north or west. Other than the commuter rail which goes into Porter Square where you can pick up the Red Line to Kendall, it seems convoluted to me because there's less of a direct route from either compared to Hingham.
Quincy to Kendall during rush hour takes at least 45 minutes on the Red line. Just Kendall to South Station takes 15 minutes during rush hour (sometimes 10 minutes but that's rare) , which is the same as Porter to Kendall. During off hours you might be able to shave off a few minutes but the headway between trains is longer as well. Remember, the T has issues almost every single day at various times so counting on the T to not have issues is a gamble (anyone who doubts this should sign up for T alerts).

Old 04-09-2015, 06:19 AM

11 posts, read 19,732 times
Thank you all for your replies. Please keep them coming. Not only are they entertaining but I'm gathering some information as well! It's very difficult to make a move when you don't know the area at all. I chose Hingham because a moderate home is more affordable than the closer towns previously mentioned. Schools are ranked well and I like the close proximity to the water. I am not one to live in a neighborhood with homes on top of each other and cars everywhere but on the flip side I like easy access to stores and commuting options (car, boat, bus, train). I've only found Wilmington and Sudbury to have similar homes that I'm attracted to, however, the commute seems just as long as from the South shore.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:45 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
The ferry doesn't run in winter, though.
This is false. The ferry runs all winter, and only shuts down in the case of extreme weather. And I believe you can use the commuter rail with your boat pass, so even if the ferry shuts down, you can ride the train. A monthly boat or commuter rail pass also includes unlimited T rides.

The ferry from Hingham goes to Rowes Wharf, which is even closer to South Station than Long Wharf. I think the ferry to the red line at South Station wouldn't be the worst way to do the commute. Driving to Quincy or Braintree and catching the red line from there wouldn't be awful, either, but the trains will be very crowded. But with that second option, you don't have to transfer modes of transportation after you park your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts