Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 07:55 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,003,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
You're entitled to your opinion but I'd be willing to guess that most people don't agree with it.

FWIW I was last in Brockton on Monday.
Right.

Brockton's redeeming quality is that it offers affordable housing options close to Boston. The school district, like the districts in Fall River and New Bedford, provide great opportunities for students who are motivated. But in all three cases, kids do slip through the cracks at rates that are not on par with the top performing districts in the state. Sure, New Bedford's gratuation rates are a lot lower. Fall River's are a little lower. But none of those- Brockton included- are graduating kids at rates even close to on par with the better districts in SE Mass. AP programs are awesome. But I'd rather put my kid in a school district with fewer AP programs if I know that the expectation is that the majority of students will move on to a 4-year college (Brockton is under 50% in terms of 4yr college placement). Brockton (the city and the school district) is not a community where kids are expected to do much more than graduate from high school. That's not an atmosphere that many parents will find appealing.

Combined with the fact that crime is higher than it should be, Brockton (sure, it's not Camden, NJ; but being better than Fall River or New Bedford isn't a ringing endorsement either) really isn't appealing for much other than the low cost of living considering the proximity to Boston. Unlike Fall River and New Bedford, there's nothing aesthetically pleasing about Brockton (both FR and NB have active, attractive recreational waterfront areas), and unlike New Bedford, Brockton's downtown area is a shell. I don't believe that Brockton is a "complete pit," but n1ey's perspective is wayyyy too rose colored. Most people who spend time in Brockton find it to be less than ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 08:08 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Right.

Brockton's redeeming quality is that it offers affordable housing options close to Boston. The school district, like the districts in Fall River and New Bedford, provide great opportunities for students who are motivated. But in all three cases, kids do slip through the cracks at rates that are not on par with the top performing districts in the state. Sure, New Bedford's gratuation rates are a lot lower. Fall River's are a little lower. But none of those- Brockton included- are graduating kids at rates even close to on par with the better districts in SE Mass. AP programs are awesome. But I'd rather put my kid in a school district with fewer AP programs if I know that the expectation is that the majority of students will move on to a 4-year college (Brockton is under 50% in terms of 4yr college placement). Brockton (the city and the school district) is not a community where kids are expected to do much more than graduate from high school. That's not an atmosphere that many parents will find appealing.

Combined with the fact that crime is higher than it should be, Brockton (sure, it's not Camden, NJ; but being better than Fall River or New Bedford isn't a ringing endorsement either) really isn't appealing for much other than the low cost of living considering the proximity to Boston. Unlike Fall River and New Bedford, there's nothing aesthetically pleasing about Brockton (both FR and NB have active, attractive recreational waterfront areas), and unlike New Bedford, Brockton's downtown area is a shell. I don't believe that Brockton is a "complete pit," but n1ey's perspective is wayyyy too rose colored. Most people who spend time in Brockton find it to be less than ideal.
You are correct, the only thing going for it is that the housing is dirt cheap. Otherwise I would call it a complete pit. Save a for a few streets where the houses are decently maintained the entire city looks like someone set off a bomb and never cleaned up the mess it left behind. Yes, it's better than Camden or Detroit but as you point out that doesn't make it good by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't think many would choose to move to Brockton today if they had other options available to them.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 702 times
I had to jump in because I have lived in Brockton for 20 years. My neighbors raised their 3 kids in Brockton and every one of them has advanced degree's. I love my neighborhood and my neighbors. I regularly have deer, turkeys, rabbits and the occasional coyote in my yard. We were robbed once, 19 years ago and it was a neighborhood kid, who returned what was taken. I walk my dog through my neighborhood every morning at 5:15 AM and have never had an issue. Brockton is by no way perfect and it has all the bad things that go along with a large population. Yes downtown is not what it used to be and I doubt it will come back anytime soon. But I can get what I need without having to leave the city. Plus there are things like DW Fields Park and the Fuller Museum. I think with any city, you get what you put in. I happen to have a good neighborhood where people look out for each other and know each other. I grew up in Middleboro and I still live in Brockton because I like living here. My husband commutes into Boston with no problem and the price can't be beat. Will I live here forever? No, as retirement gets closer (another 18+ years) I will likely go somewhere warmer and less snowy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts