Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 12:13 PM

5 posts, read 10,797 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are expecting our second child soon and we are looking at Maynard and Westford as potential towns to move to. Good schools and good community are the most important factors to us.

Downtown Maynard seems very nice and our friends love it there, but the property tax rates are much higher than other towns we were looking at.

Westford has an excellent reputation for good schools, but we are not sure about the community element and "neighborly" feel.

Can anyone offer their experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 12:15 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Buy where you feel comfortable, but Westford is considered a nicer town.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:21 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Good schools? Westford wins by a long shot.

Who cares about tax rate. You are paying in dollars, so you need to look at the actual tax bill in dollars. Valuations in Maynard are much lower, so the average tax bill in Maynard will be slightly lower than in Westford. Why not add Acton to your list so you get the best of both worlds. You'll be close to downtown Maynard too.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:52 PM

317 posts, read 431,291 times
I'd throw Natick in for your consideration. Still has (relatively) affordable homes, the schools are great (although they are not as high ranking as some towns, they are definitely up there, and the measurements are static. Firsthand I can tell you our experiences have exceeded our expectations). There is also very much a family/community feel to this town, especially with children. It is very easy to meet people in your children's classes, or through sports or other activities. The town common also seems to always have something going on.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:50 PM

248 posts, read 342,906 times
Westford over Maynard for sure, but I agree with the suggestion to look at Acton. Would get you closer to your friends and the schools are at least as good as, if not better than, Westford's.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:52 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Maynard is better if you are looking for casual, bohemian, more community feel with events. Westford is more competitive and full of helicopter parents. Littleton is a really friendly town, more agricultural and less arty/alternative than Maynard, that you may want to add to your town list. Both Littleton and Maynard have retained a small town feel, despite recent migrations of new families into these two towns. Another difference, Maynard has independent small businesses and a centralized town center. Westford has a pretty town common with library, art center and community center, but doesn't have any independent businesses. It once did.

The four best unique things Westford still has going for it IMO:

Kimball Farm, lots of silly fun, with goats, mini-golf, bumper cars and of course ice cream
Butterfly Place, a giant greenhouse sized terrarium filled with all kinds of butterflies and educational opportunities to learn about butterflies
Westford Town Common, has an annual Strawberry Festival
and my personal favorite Nashoba Valley Ski Area, fun winter tubing and summer Tiki area with dodgeball, volleyball courts, sand, swimming hole, live music and more

Last edited by 495neighbor; 07-09-2015 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: adding to post

Old 07-11-2015, 02:21 PM

How does chelmsford compare to Westford? We just looked at a great neighborhood.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:57 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippin_Jimmy View Post
How does chelmsford compare to Westford? We just looked at a great neighborhood.
It's a fine town. Good value for the money still. Mostly middle-class, with one of the better town centers.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:05 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippin_Jimmy View Post
Westford is considered to have one of the best school districts outside of metro-west. While Chelmsford's desirability has improved greatly over the past 8-10 years, most locals will consider it a step below Westford primary due to the lesser school system. Is it a perfectly fine town? Sure, assuming you prefer a more of an exurban feel (due to it's proximity to Lowell). Is it full of well educated residents who got priced out of the metro-west? Sure is! I know plenty of fine respectable people which call Chelmsford home.

IMO, towns which are more comparable to Westford are:

Littleton

Directly south of Westford. Schools aren't as highly rated but still well regarded. Inventory is slightly more affordable, although with home prices exploding in town post-2009 the margin of difference isn't much. Recent commercial development in town echos Westford's commercialization in the '90s/'00s

Groton/Dunstable

I honestly think the school district is at least equal to Westford's (minus the "tiger moms"). Inventory is generally priced below Westford and Littleton. Location likely adds time (10-20 minutes) to most commutes. Less commercial, more bucolic.

Acton

Considered more desirable than Westford due to location, school system, commuter rail access, long time rep/desirability, and the list goes on.

Other towns which I'd consider near, equal or better in terms of desirability: Harvard, Stow, Boxborough, Bolton, Carlisle, and all of Metrowest ( you're 'ons and 'ords )

Old 07-11-2015, 08:52 PM

A little more info... Our budget is 350k. The homes in Westford within our price range are on busy streets with double yellow lines (deal breaker for my wife). We looked at a ranch with a big yard on a quiet street with basketball hoops and bikes all over the street in chelmsford this afternoon.

My mind is pretty much made up at this point, but I am curious to your feedback on having a smaller home on a street that you love versus having a nicer home on a busy street without much of a neighborhood.

Also, we are leaving billerica because everyone on our street keeps to themselves. They are all very nice, but nobody socializes or talks to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts