Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 09:27 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,016,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
Hmm, we were looking a year ago and Needham had a lot of inventory under 700. It's certainly cheaper than newton/Wellesley/Weston. The market seems to be pricier this year though.
There have been very, very few houses on the market in Needham this year under $1M compared to previous years. However, my point was that your dollar goes further in Bedford. So if you don't like what you can afford there, you'll be looking at lesser houses in Needham which you probably will like even less. If you don't like what you're seeing in Needham then of course you're definitely not going to like what you would see in Wellesley, Weston, and Newton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 09:04 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
I'm curious what it is about Bedford specifically that you like? We ruled out Bedford because we determined it was too far out for us. I was told that it would be a long commute into Boston, and it didn't have the walkability we were seeking. It became our if-all-else-fails option -- if we really couldn't find anything else at all in the other towns we were looking at (Newton, Needham, Belmont, Lexington, or Arlington -- we also looked at Melrose, and it seemed promising.) (Actually Bedford and Acton kind of became those last resort type of options, given our parameters. And I don't mean last resort in a bad sense -- just that we'd be giving up our preferred location factors. Both towns sound great, and there are plenty of places that didn't make our list at all.)

Bedford seems like a very nice town, and I heard rave reviews from some residents, so I'm not saying it isn't a good place or that you shouldn't live there. I'm just wondering what your main factors are for having it as your #1 choice, to know what other towns might be good options. We saw some real estate listings in Bedford that made us salivate, so we really wanted to like it -- plus, we needed commutability to Lexington, so that was attractive, and we determined that some parts of Lex were so far out from the town center and would still take forever to get to Boston that if you lived in the outer parts of Lexington, you may as well live in Bedford and not pay the Lexington premium. But we had to draw the line, because as it was, Lexington was the furthest out I wanted to be, and really, in some ways, Lexington itself was a tad far.

If your price range were a tad higher, I'd say Needham would be perfect for you. If I were in your situation, I'd seriously investigate Melrose, but from what I understand (having spent no real time in Bedford), my impression is that it is different from Bedford, in that it is more urban, whereas Bedford is more typically suburban. Hence my question about what it is about Bedford specifically that you want.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:30 PM

5 posts, read 7,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I'm curious what it is about Bedford specifically that you like? We ruled out Bedford because we determined it was too far out for us. I was told that it would be a long commute into Boston, and it didn't have the walkability we were seeking. It became our if-all-else-fails option -- if we really couldn't find anything else at all in the other towns we were looking at (Newton, Needham, Belmont, Lexington, or Arlington -- we also looked at Melrose, and it seemed promising.) (Actually Bedford and Acton kind of became those last resort type of options, given our parameters. And I don't mean last resort in a bad sense -- just that we'd be giving up our preferred location factors. Both towns sound great, and there are plenty of places that didn't make our list at all.)

Bedford seems like a very nice town, and I heard rave reviews from some residents, so I'm not saying it isn't a good place or that you shouldn't live there. I'm just wondering what your main factors are for having it as your #1 choice, to know what other towns might be good options. We saw some real estate listings in Bedford that made us salivate, so we really wanted to like it -- plus, we needed commutability to Lexington, so that was attractive, and we determined that some parts of Lex were so far out from the town center and would still take forever to get to Boston that if you lived in the outer parts of Lexington, you may as well live in Bedford and not pay the Lexington premium. But we had to draw the line, because as it was, Lexington was the furthest out I wanted to be, and really, in some ways, Lexington itself was a tad far.

If your price range were a tad higher, I'd say Needham would be perfect for you. If I were in your situation, I'd seriously investigate Melrose, but from what I understand (having spent no real time in Bedford), my impression is that it is different from Bedford, in that it is more urban, whereas Bedford is more typically suburban. Hence my question about what it is about Bedford specifically that you want.

I'm not sure how to describe but it almost feels like "home" to us. We like how it feels suburban but isn't as far from the city as say acton or Sudbury. We like how all the big stores are kept to one area so there aren't strip malls in your back yard. I also like that they have a smaller middle / high school. I know they have two elementary schools. I guess it's just a vibe for us.

Melrose seems like a far drive from Waltham but I will add them to our email list. We are open to look anywhere! It looks like it's off 93 which would involve crossing over onto 95 which is a nightmare.

Where did you end up buying??

Old 04-08-2016, 01:59 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms131 View Post
I'm not sure how to describe but it almost feels like "home" to us. We like how it feels suburban but isn't as far from the city as say acton or Sudbury. We like how all the big stores are kept to one area so there aren't strip malls in your back yard. I also like that they have a smaller middle / high school. I know they have two elementary schools. I guess it's just a vibe for us.

Melrose seems like a far drive from Waltham but I will add them to our email list. We are open to look anywhere! It looks like it's off 93 which would involve crossing over onto 95 which is a nightmare.

Where did you end up buying??
It may be a tad far from Waltham, although my husband is working in Waltham/Lexington, and was willing to do it. He had what was often a 2+ hour commute last year, so anything less than that was great to us. It seemed like Melrose had great access to Boston, though.

We ended up in Newton.

If you get that intangible "homey" feel from Bedford, I'd say to keep looking there. If you just feel at home somewhere, it's hard to replicate that and you're always going to kind of pine for it. But I know you said in the OP that you weren't finding what you were looking for. Are there any other parameters you can give on to get into Bedford? Then you could maybe move up to another home in Bedford later on, without the issues of changing schools, etc.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:39 PM

204 posts, read 286,352 times
Interesting that Burlington didn't feel right to you, since there are certain neighborhoods away from the commercial strips that feel a lot like Bedford to me. Stoneham might be another area to check out, though it is more like Melrose than Bedford.

If Woburn schools were acceptable to you, then you could consider the northwestern side of Waltham too. Some of the streets in the Pigeon Hill neighborhood as well as a handful of streets off Trapelo (particularly west of 128, on the Lincoln border) have a Bedfordy feel to them, and you'd get a very nice house in the 700k range. Or you could try the Lanes just east of Prospect Hill.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:35 PM

317 posts, read 331,512 times
I really like Bedford too. I didn't end up settling on it for other reasons(I'm house hunting now), but not cause we didn't love it. There is one k-2, one 3-5, one middle, and one high school. And the hs has <1000 kids. The schools are really highly rated but the people seem pretty down to earth and less competitive (than Lexington, where we rent). They are redoing the shopping centers along great rd. so they look like a walkable extension of the town center. Unfortunately prices are up 10% in 2 years, I think because of people who are priced out of Lexington or want more for their million.

OP, maybe you could get a starter there and move up in a couple of years. So much better in than Woburn or Waltham (if you have kids) imo.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:29 PM

404 posts, read 526,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masshawk View Post
Interesting that Burlington didn't feel right to you, since there are certain neighborhoods away from the commercial strips that feel a lot like Bedford to me. Stoneham might be another area to check out, though it is more like Melrose than Bedford.

If Woburn schools were acceptable to you, then you could consider the northwestern side of Waltham too. Some of the streets in the Pigeon Hill neighborhood as well as a handful of streets off Trapelo (particularly west of 128, on the Lincoln border) have a Bedfordy feel to them, and you'd get a very nice house in the 700k range. Or you could try the Lanes just east of Prospect Hill.
Did you really just compare Stoneham to Bedford? <<buzzer sound>> ummm nope pretty much opposites

Old 04-08-2016, 07:51 PM

434 posts, read 510,393 times
Yeah, I don't think Stoneham would be a good alternative! Have you checked out Reading?

Old 04-08-2016, 08:15 PM

204 posts, read 286,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traffic_lover View Post
Did you really just compare Stoneham to Bedford? <<buzzer sound>> ummm nope pretty much opposites
Hey, they were looking in Woburn and someone suggested Melrose. Stoneham is quieter and less built up than either one.

I agree Reading would be a closer match, but they also said Acton/Sudbury were too far and I think Reading is about comparable?

Old 04-08-2016, 09:10 PM

404 posts, read 526,425 times
Reading is great town but...not much similar to Bedford. I'd say andover bUT commute to Waltham. ..D+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts