Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer: Belmont or Lexington?
Belmont 37 48.05%
Lexington 40 51.95%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 11:17 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,551,228 times

Advertisements

I lived in Belmont for nearly 10 years and felt very comfortable there. People were relatively friendly, the schools are excellent, and the community safe. Since, I've lived in Arlington for 15 years and absolutely love it: great community spirit, excellent schools, clean, safe. I don't care for Lexington. I think it's ridiculously overpriced, and the snotty attitude of many of the people who live there is beyond banal: it's simply childish. Case in point: the woman who thought that Sudbury is somehow "below" Lexington in lifestyle and quality of schools. The truth is that some people are so terrified of being seen as "middle class," their entire sense of self is wrapped up in the cultural capital of where they live. Seriously weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 07:00 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
I lived in Belmont for nearly 10 years and felt very comfortable there. People were relatively friendly, the schools are excellent, and the community safe. Since, I've lived in Arlington for 15 years and absolutely love it: great community spirit, excellent schools, clean, safe. I don't care for Lexington. I think it's ridiculously overpriced, and the snotty attitude of many of the people who live there is beyond banal: it's simply childish. Case in point: the woman who thought that Sudbury is somehow "below" Lexington in lifestyle and quality of schools. The truth is that some people are so terrified of being seen as "middle class," their entire sense of self is wrapped up in the cultural capital of where they live. Seriously weird.
Yes. Sudbury is nice. Arlington is nice.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
We live in Belmont so are biased .... after we narrowed down our list we ending up cross shopping against Newton Center and Arlington based on what was important to us. We spent the last 15+ years in Boston (with 2 young kids the last few) so were looking for more of a semi-urban rather than the full suburban experience.

We did not include Lexington in our short list primarily due to longer commutes to Cambridge where I work, less walkability, less proximity/access to Boston, more suburban than we wanted.

Also, we had heard some negative stories from friends about the intense pressure in Lexington school system whereas people we knew with kids in Belmont were very happy - may just be anecdotal/sample size but heard consistent message from a good few people.

I think our search criteria were very similar to Chicagoliz .... and we also like the idea of our teenagers having some semblance of mobility in the future (that isn't just being chauffered around).

Lexington is great but didn't seem to be a great fit for us .... and we are very happy so far with our Belmont decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
In other words, a pressure-cooker school district. I have a friend living there and evidently having a personal tutor is very common. Does a school district really deserve so much credit when it's full of wealthy kids with private tutors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Yes, I understand that Lex is almost the poster child for 'pressure cooker school district,' although what I really meant about the 'cult mentality' was the idea that a lot of people connected to Lexington seem to have about their schools. I mean, they're rightfully proud of them. They seem to be very good. But I sensed from many folks (especially from Lex realtors) that this was extreme -- like, they were so far the absolute best, and of course anyone with a lick of sense would do anything to get into them, because any other town's school system would be far inferior. And you would only choose a different town if you simply could not afford to get into Lex, or you really just didn't care that much about your child's education.

We were looking in Arlington, too, and multiple times when we mentioned that to real estate agents, they'd grimace, and say, "oh, yes, well you could go to Arlington, but the schools..."

From everyone else we heard that Arlington schools were very good, and every ranking we saw indicated they were quite good.

I agree that sure, Lexington schools are very good, but I just don't buy that they are any better than those in any other school district with similar demographics. (And, the full-of-themselves attitude carries over into their policies. From what I understand, Lexington will not allow your kid to start in their schools until you have actually settled on and moved into your house, if you're moving into the district. No exceptions for any reason. Contrast this with Needham, which would allow you to start your kid in the schools as long as you had an executed P&S. Heaven forbid someone should get a single day of instruction without actually living yet in the district. I know there is fraud, but come on. There are ways to deal with it, and their balancing of considerations is out of whack.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Haha, this reminds me of a conversation I had with a lady whose kid was taking weekend extra-curriculars with my kid. She was from Lexington and when she found out I lived in Sudbury she said "But why don't you live in Lexington? It's not that much more expensive... don't you care about your kid's education?" She was genuinely confused that I chose Sudbury instead of Lexington, nevermind the fact that those 2 towns aren't even in the same geographic vicinity (and yes, Lexington IS a lot more expensive!). I'm sure she's not the only one in Lexington who has this mentality. It's like you said - many residents have been brainwashed to think that way and they come off as cult members when they talk about their school system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Bizarre. Just bizarre. And a little scary!
Quote:

So funny to read this anecdote and have my impression so precisely confirmed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Crazy. And then there is the reality:

1. A privately tutored child in Lexington might actually have a BETTER chance of getting into a Ivy if the go to Arlington High due to the caps Ivys place on certain high-achieving schools.
2. The top 2 colleges for Lexington grads are UMass Amherst and Northeastern
3. Several Somerville and Cambridge elementary schools have non-low income MCAS scores on par and sometimes higher than the average in Lexington.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Parents put way too much emphasis on what schools are the "best". Any average or above school district in Massachusetts will provide a good education, I would have no hesitation sending my future kids to Watertown schools for example. I believe that MCAS scores and other measures of the "best" schools are more indicative of the economic status of the parents than they are indicative of the quality of the school district. I personally know a person from Lawrence Massachusetts who attended MIT. That's a rare example and I would never want to put my future kids into Lawrence schools but with the right parents kids can do well anywhere.

Also...feel free to continue chiming in.

Others--feel free to comment (and vote) as well.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:15 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I am wondering about the impressions of the towns.
Reason: As many have similarly expressed above, I have a former colleague/semi-friend that is all about "the Lexington above all else" mentality. I've always thought they were relatively similar in appeal/prestige. I want to see what people really think instead of just listening to a possibly misguided individual.
Thanks for indulging my curiosity. I had to chuckle. More and more I'm really glad we didn't end up in Lexington. I still think it's a great town, but it sounds like many of its residents don't understand that it being a great town doesn't mean that other towns can't also be great. It's not a zero sum game.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks for indulging my curiosity. I had to chuckle. More and more I'm really glad we didn't end up in Lexington. I still think it's a great town, but it sounds like many of its residents don't understand that it being a great town doesn't mean that other towns can't also be great. It's not a zero sum game.

Indeed. "Both-and," not "Either-or."

Old 06-13-2016, 06:22 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,791,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Of course it is personal preference--that's the point.

Which one do you prefer?
Belmont.

But I personally don't consider many of the things you listed as decision making issues. People use different criteria.

And I don't think you can label someone as something because they prefer one over the other, which feels like where you are trying to head.

And another thing...don't be so snarky.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Belmont.

But I personally don't consider many of the things you listed as decision making issues. People use different criteria.

And I don't think you can label someone as something because they prefer one over the other, which feels like where you are trying to head.

And another thing...don't be so snarky.

And you don't have to. That's why they are suggestions.

Huh? There is nothing here about labeling. Read the additional commentary above. The reason for a survey is to gather info and opinions. That's the point of this thread. Your hangups are your business.

And finally--You really don't make any sense. You also had a choice to not choose anything, nor participate in the thread. That's probably what you should've done.

But thank you for giving your preference.

Last edited by aries4118; 06-13-2016 at 08:32 PM..

Old 06-14-2016, 12:10 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,640,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Ohlin Donuts had a bad fire recently. Not a good situation.

I'm biased, but I like Belmont more. Being able to get to Cambridge and Boston simply and easily was pretty awesome for quality of life.

Yes, genuinely heartbreaking. Hope Ohlin is able come back even better than pre-fire like Verrill Farm did and the space does not become another excuse for another chain.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:53 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,528,679 times
A vote for Belmont. A few middle class people still live there which is good for maintaining a sense of reality.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:22 PM

190 posts, read 202,161 times
I vote Belmont. Lexington has the prestige factor and history. I love the nature in Belmont, the mill pond, Rock meadow, and Audubon. Waverly sq is grittier with triple Deckers and such. Belmont has better mass transit. And all this fuss about schools, is it not what the child puts into school that matters more than anything? A motivated kid with caring parents will do well in most any school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts