Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer: Belmont or Lexington?
Belmont 37 48.05%
Lexington 40 51.95%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 11:32 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
This is a fundamental reason why towns like Andover, Attleboro, and Shrewsbury are the hottest zip codes in the State. And why Southern New Hampshire has become such a hotbed. Before the transition, Andover was one of the cooler zip codes amongst desirable Eastern Massachusetts towns, significantly trailing towns like Reading, Melrose, Arlington, etc. There was a time in the not-so-distant past that homes in Duxbury were nearly depreciating. Now the median listing price in both Andover and Duxbury well exceeds $1M.
Southern NH is not a new thing really. Hot, I dunno about that, but there were plenty of people moving there in search of cheaper SFH long before the pandemic. You can conceivably commute to 128 from there but I reckon it was not the greatest commute.

South Shore and out in the boonies of 495, yeah, that has skyrocketed because of WFH. I expect that to fully reverse when the crash comes. I could easily see people being multiple hundreds of K underwater easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2023, 09:01 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Southern NH is not a new thing really. Hot, I dunno about that, but there were plenty of people moving there in search of cheaper SFH long before the pandemic.
Are you in tune and in touch with prices in places like Rye?

Some of these areas have seen monumental growth relative to much of MA since 2020.

I mean, Rye is as expensive as places like Hingham and Duxbury. That was never the case. Median price was $600k in 2018. It’s doubled, and is now up to $1.2M.

Old 08-31-2023, 09:12 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
South Shore and out in the boonies of 495, yeah, that has skyrocketed because of WFH. I expect that to fully reverse when the crash comes. I could easily see people being multiple hundreds of K underwater easy.
Yeah, I mean, I couldn’t disagree more.

With the exception of 2011 - 2020, never had places like Melrose and Reading been more desirable than places like Acton and Andover in my lifetime. That changed dramatically post recession. Yet now, you’re seeing a correction. Acton has a higher median price than Melrose and Reading, and Andover has a far higher median listing price than both (as examples). I mean, Carlisle’s median listing is literally $850k more than Milton’s. To bet against this correction, with WFH and a general disinterest in commuting, is unwise in my opinion.

That, and the school districts in the “boonies” continue to outperform (in some cases, drastically) peers closer to the city. Right or wrong, whether you believe that or not, that sells.

Old 01-01-2024, 08:50 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
You're still here? Amazing..

EDIT: why did C-D send an email today notifying me that there are new posts to this thread when the last post was on April 23?
Ha! I sure am!

2024: Belmont or Lexington? Go…

Old 01-03-2024, 06:55 AM

351 posts, read 137,680 times
Personally? Belmont. I like the mixture of urban, suburban, and bucolic. It's more accessible to the city, as well. I guess it depends on what you want, and Lexington is still extremely nice. But if I had my druthers, I'd be looking for a house in that zone between Cushing Square and Belmont Center (somewhere along the Common St corridor). It checks all my boxes. Historic nice houses, tree-lined streets, easily walkable to some town center type areas, close to commuter rail.

Old 01-05-2024, 02:48 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced_Coffee View Post
Personally? Belmont. I like the mixture of urban, suburban, and bucolic. It's more accessible to the city, as well. I guess it depends on what you want, and Lexington is still extremely nice. But if I had my druthers, I'd be looking for a house in that zone between Cushing Square and Belmont Center (somewhere along the Common St corridor). It checks all my boxes. Historic nice houses, tree-lined streets, easily walkable to some town center type areas, close to commuter rail.
That is a great part of Belmont in so many ways. You outlined the attributes very well.

Old 01-07-2024, 10:42 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
To me Belmont seemed to be more Boston centric. Lexington more suburban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts