Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2016, 02:05 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Our situation is just pretty insane, but sadly, nothing gets done despite the death toll always increasing.

Unfortuntely it's sort of like a catch-22. You try and regulate it on a federal level and you get pushback from politicians in the conservative states where guns are part of the everyday culture (ranching, farming, hunting, etc). It gets delegated down to the state level to set rules and regulations, and as a result, you get the patchwork system that clearly does not work as is seen in the Chicago/Hammond example.

After the AG's latest move, MA may have the strictest laws in the nation now, an a short drive to the north, is a state with lax firearm laws. However, MA has always been safe with regards to firearm crimes. We are #3 in the nation. Is this new move really going to change much considering 7 rifle murders in 10 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 02:17 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
That's ridiculous. If someone breaks into your home, chances are you will be asleep--hardly enough time to load and fire a semi-automatic for protection. And I would guess that the number of home break-ins by robbers with a semi-automatic weapon are miniscule-to-non-existant. There was far more crime in the U.S. decades ago and nobody felt the need for a semi-automatic weapon. This is simply a case of emotionally underdeveloped "adults" who suffer from paranoid delusions and/or get a feeling of power from owning a semi-automatic weapon.

Please stop equating semi-automatic to only mean a military style rifle. Semi-autos have been around since the late 1800's and millions of americans own them, and have owned them for decades.

This popular hunting rifle (benelli R1) is semi-automatic

This popular pistol (1911) is semi-automatic

Someone could certainly keep a semi-auto pistol bedside and grab it out of a nighstand quickly. And chances are, someone breaking into the house would in fact have a semi-auto pistol.

Please stop name calling. People are trying to have a mature discussion here.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 07-26-2016 at 02:48 PM..

Old 07-26-2016, 02:58 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
That's ridiculous. If someone breaks into your home, chances are you will be asleep--hardly enough time to load and fire a semi-automatic for protection. And I would guess that the number of home break-ins by robbers with a semi-automatic weapon are miniscule-to-non-existant. There was far more crime in the U.S. decades ago and nobody felt the need for a semi-automatic weapon. This is simply a case of emotionally underdeveloped "adults" who suffer from paranoid delusions and/or get a feeling of power from owning a semi-automatic weapon.

Interesting...these must be made up...

https://foac-pac.org/Defense-Stories

Something tells me you have no clue what the difference is between a semi auto and a select fire firearm is.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:36 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

Someone could certainly keep a semi-auto pistol bedside and grab it out of a nighstand quickly. And chances are, someone breaking into the house would in fact have a semi-auto pistol.
Maybe, but how many people realistically are keeping that gun in a safe locked up properly, then taking it out, putting it in the bedstand at night, then locking it back up every morning.

That and the odds of actually having someone break in... I mean, I could live 100 lifetimes in Chicago (where I've lived) and the odds are so far against it ever happening it isn't funny. And then to have that situation happen where I'd actually need a gun (which I hope people don't use much over property, just if they're physically threatened). I dunno, it does seem like paranoia... in part due to our media these days.

Skeet shooting sure was fun though. I kind of want a 20 gauge for skeet or quail hunting.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:38 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Interesting...these must be made up...

https://foac-pac.org/Defense-Stories

Something tells me you have no clue what the difference is between a semi auto and a select fire firearm is.
I'm from Texas. I know the difference. And I also know very well the attitude and drive behind people who want semi-automatic weapons.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:47 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
I'm from Texas. I know the difference. And I also know very well the attitude and drive behind people who want semi-automatic weapons.
I agree.
My home is defended with a Ruger Single Action, but I could defend it just as easily with a Bond Arms Snake Slayer.
I don't need a "Big Arn" with great "stopping power" that can be reloaded in less than one second. That stuff should only be available to law enforcement and Military organizations.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:01 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I agree.
My home is defended with a Ruger Single Action, but I could defend it just as easily with a Bond Arms Snake Slayer.
I don't need a "Big Arn" with great "stopping power" that can be reloaded in less than one second. That stuff should only be available to law enforcement and Military organizations.
Tell you what. You defend your home with what you want, and how about you mind your own business and let others make their OWN decisions? This is the United States of America. We are supposed to be a free country where we can make our own decisions and the Second Amendment protects our right to keep and bear the small arms of our own choosing. Some may prefer a revolver, others a semi-auto pistol, and others maybe a shotgun or sporting rifle. We don't need or want elitist government bureaucrats making those decisions for us. Molon Labe!

Old 07-26-2016, 05:08 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Please do tell, this "attitude and drive" you are speaking of .....

Old 07-26-2016, 05:15 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Tell you what. You defend your home with what you want, and how about you mind your own business and let others make their OWN decisions? This is the United States of America. We are supposed to be a free country where we can make our own decisions and the Second Amendment protects our right to keep and bear the small arms of our own choosing. Some may prefer a revolver, others a semi-auto pistol, and others maybe a shotgun or sporting rifle. We don't need or want elitist government bureaucrats making those decisions for us. Molon Labe!

What if I want an uzi or a self propelled grenade launcher?

Old 07-26-2016, 05:22 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Please do tell, this "attitude and drive" you are speaking of .....
Maybe this one?

Teen at wrong house shot dead through door | Boston Herald
Quote:
A Chicopee man shot and killed a 15-year-old boy who was knocking on his front door Saturday after the teen mistakenly went to the house believing a friend lived there, police said.
The identity of the slain teen — who was shot through the door shortly before 
1 p.m. — was not immediately released.

Jeffery Lovell, 42, is expected to be arraigned for murder today, Chicopee police said yesterday in a statement on Facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts