Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2017, 11:05 AM

880 posts, read 818,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiapo View Post
Im in agreement, seems like a much better place, with a ton of colleges in the area. Yes its depressed but it still has much to offer and it is much cheaper than Boston.
Think about it: You are qualified enough to earn the top 2% salary in Massachusetts... You honestly going to choose to live in Springfield vs Boston, Cambridge, Brookline, Newton?
If you switch to another job after Amazon, it's not likely to be in Springfield...

Let's be real here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 11:41 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Think about it: You are qualified enough to earn the top 2% salary in Massachusetts... You honestly going to choose to live in Springfield vs Boston, Cambridge, Brookline, Newton?
If you switch to another job after Amazon, it's not likely to be in Springfield...

Let's be real here...
Seriously - it's not even a secondary MA option when you consider the Worcester/Marlborough or Devens proposals, which offer superior Boston access, abut the highest concentration of qualified white collar workers (metro-west/495), and maintain proximity to relevant educational institutions in eastern/central MA.

Springfield is far too isolated.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:03 PM

97 posts, read 104,003 times
Quote:

Let's be real here...
Well I agree about switching to another job, but does that play a major factor when one is deciding to work for a top company like Amazon?

And though the Boston area has a ton to do I would personally choose to live in western mass over the Boston area

Wasn't one of Amazon's requirements a reasonable cost of living, how does Eastern mass offer that?

I do not consider Springfield Isolated, what is it isolated from? (You will have to give me a little grace, I moved away some years back and do not get back much)

Old 11-06-2017, 12:21 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Well I agree about switching to another job, but does that play a major factor when one is deciding to work for a top company like Amazon?

And though the Boston area has a ton to do I would personally choose to live in western mass over the Boston area

Wasn't one of Amazon's requirements a reasonable cost of living, how does Eastern mass offer that?

I do not consider Springfield Isolated, what is it isolated from? (You will have to give me a little grace, I moved away some years back and do not get back much)
Reasonable cost of living was not a requirement listed by Amazon. In summary, this what they asked for:

In choosing the location for HQ2, Amazon has a preference for:
 Metropolitan areas with more than one million people
 A stable and business-friendly environment
 Urban or suburban locations with the potential to attract and retain strong technical talent
 Communities that think big and creatively when considering locations and real estate options

HQ2 could be, but does not have to be:
 An urban or downtown campus
 A similar layout to Amazon’s Seattle campus
 A development-prepped site. We want to encourage states/provinces and communities to think
creatively for viable real estate options, while not negatively affecting our preferred timeline

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....516043504_.pdf

As for the next job after Amazon, it can be a driving factor for their employees. Amazon is a chew 'em up and spit 'em out type of company. Those employees will be onto their next job and Springfield ain't where it's going to be.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:33 PM

349 posts, read 320,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Reasonable cost of living was not a requirement listed by Amazon. In summary, this what they asked for:

 Urban or suburban locations with the potential to attract and retain strong technical talent
 Communities that think big and creatively when considering locations and real estate options

 A development-prepped site. We want to encourage states/provinces and communities to think
creatively for viable real estate options, while not negatively affecting our preferred timeline

As for the next job after Amazon, it can be a driving factor for their employees. Amazon is a chew 'em up and spit 'em out type of company. Those employees will be onto their next job and Springfield ain't where it's going to be.
Great summary robr2, not that it will really influence the discussion. People just want to opine about their personal preferences, rather than what Amazon has explicitly stated in the Request For Proposal. 40 pages of wandering personal rants.

I have to get off this thread.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:38 PM

104 posts, read 172,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
We have friends who eventually landed in Weymouth who fit this demographic. They never expected to still be there, but considering 1) they've bee priced out of the immediate surrounding towns; 2) it's a reasonably easy commute into Boston for both of them; and 3) they're more "suburban" than "urban" so it doesn't bother them that they're living in a traditional not-the-place-to-be.

Many of their neighbors are either dying off or trying to move out. Because of the town's reputation many of them are having trouble selling. In reality, the part of Weymouth they're in isn't bad by any means, only a little run down.
It's not bad at all, and the demographics are changing significantly-- especially the last five years. Around the Landing, houses are selling within a week at asking price. Not bad for the 'bad town' in the area! Factoring in that there's a huge redevelopment boom in the city, I think you'll hear a lot of people in 5 years saying that they can't believe how much it has changed, and for the better.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:18 PM

97 posts, read 104,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post

I was looking for that albeit not very hard. Thanks I must of picked that up from somewhere else.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:42 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:

Let's be real here...
I agree with all of this but need to quibble over the top-2% salary part. Top-5% statewide, maybe. Massachusetts has a ton of very high paying jobs. It's why an OK house in a leafy Boston suburb with a good school system costs $1 million+. Median household income in Norfolk County is $90K. 1/4 of the people in the county make Amazon-level money. That $125K to $150K Amazon tech job is nothing special. It's not like everybody in the building makes $250K+ until you start counting stock options and ESPP up-side.

In Springfield, Amazon money is Thurston Howell III money. If you're not in a medical job or director level, few people see that kind of compensation.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:03 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
If Amazon goes to Springfield, I'll give everyone on this board $20.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:24 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Springfield is a failed city. 9 of the top 20 highest poverty rate public schools in the state are there. Another 3 are in Holyoke so 12 of the top 20 for the metro area. 30% below the poverty rate. It's in the list of failed cities along with Flint, Detroit, Athens GA, Gainesville FL, Brownsville TX, Cleveland, Hartford, Dayton, Syracuse, and Rochester.
Citation: War on Poverty: Where are the top 20 poorest schools? | masslive.com

You have Longmeadow as the only suburb with a public school system that would be acceptable to professional parents working at a tech company. Physicians drive 30 minutes from Northampton if they don't like Longmeadow.

BDL is very good for a regional airport. Barely adequate for a multinational. That's pretty much all I can come up with. You start hitting the Boston traffic jam at Sturbridge these days so you're effectively isolated from Boston. If there were 200 mph rail to Boston and NYC, maybe. It's 3+ hours on Amtrak to NY Penn and Greyhound to Boston stuck in the traffic jam on the Turnpike Extension. There's no retail better than Target. The nearest Trader Joe's and Whole Foods is Amherst. You have to drive to Hartford to get your Porsche or Volvo serviced. It's isolated the same way rust belt and flyover country is isolated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts