Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 01:20 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Personally, I think the King Philip Regional High School, which serves Wrentham, Norfolk and Plainville, is the better option in this area. It does have over 1300 students, however.
+1
King Philip (right "downtown" Wrentham, 1A @ 140) is a very nice school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 06:15 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dearmschris View Post
Hi all. I am looking at homes in the Bellingham area as well as Attleboro/Mansfield area. I have a daughter in 7th grade, and am looking for a small high school, which eliminates some towns, like Franklin, from my list. How would you compare Bellingham with North Attleboro? Schools, safety, things to do, and likeability of the towns?
Is a slightly larger high school that much of an issue? Franklin has a brand new high school and is considered one the best in the area, better than both towns you mentioned. If you can afford Franklin, that's where I would go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Particularly, the south side of Bellingham is very rustic, many churches, tends to be religious right and surrounded by a very unpopulated part of Rhode Island. Not sure if that makes a difference to you or not. I went into the Barnes & Nobles in the mall there while recently passing through recently and I could not help but notice the predominance of the Christian book section compared to the other parts of the bookstore.
Are you sure you are talking about Bellingham??? Not the Bellingham I know. South Bellingham is actually the more urbanish part of town (always know as the more "dumpy" "working class area"), and borders even more urban Woonsocket, RI and Cumberland, RI (rural to the north but more built up as go south in town). Never noticed more churches there than anywhere else, if that is a "problem" for anyone. I haven't been to a B&N in years, is the Christian book section there larger compared to other locations? Maybe people still tend to buy that type of book in stores while other categories have gone more online in relation? Remember that plaza serves people from many towns besides Bellingham too. There are only so many bookstores left these days. Still again, I didn't know that issue was high up on many home buyers lists. I thought the big disqualifier now was legalized pot shops LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Doesnt North Attleborough have a bad reputation? Correct me if I am wrong please. I heard some spotty things about it.
You are probably thinking of Attleboro (quite different). The one issue I would be concerned of with North Attleborough is their schools have had chronic funding issues for years now that only seem to get worse each year. They are currently facing a Prop 2 1/2 override, to restore funding to the school and other departments. They have had these in the past and so far all have failed. Their schools are still considered decent, but they struggle with resources and if the override fails that will likely become more severe in the future.

Last edited by massnative71; 02-09-2018 at 06:32 PM..

Old 02-09-2018, 08:50 PM

317 posts, read 331,731 times
I second (or third) King Philip. The combined school district starts in 7th grade so it’s a perfect time to be “new”. Even though Plainville schools aren’t great, the combined district with Wrentham and Norfolk is very good and so you sort of get the best bang for your buck by living in Plainville but skipping the elementary schools.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:33 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Doesnt North Attleborough have a bad reputation? Correct me if I am wrong please. I heard some spotty things about it.

Not that I am aware of. What did you hear?

Old 02-11-2018, 06:21 AM

73 posts, read 124,921 times
Thanks for your responses. I am from MetroWest and don't know too much about this part of the state. I did live in Pawtucket for a few years and my impression of Attleboro was that it was pretty run down. It sounds like North Attleboro is very different than Attleboro, although NA has its share of school issues with underfunding. I was hoping for a small high school but if that's not possible, then a smallish high school. I don't have a large housing budget -250K and I'm looking for towns that will hold their value, good schools and hopefully something to do in the town. I know that's asking for a lot in MA with my budget but not impossible.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearmschris View Post
Thanks for your responses. I am from MetroWest and don't know too much about this part of the state. I did live in Pawtucket for a few years and my impression of Attleboro was that it was pretty run down. It sounds like North Attleboro is very different than Attleboro, although NA has its share of school issues with underfunding. I was hoping for a small high school but if that's not possible, then a smallish high school. I don't have a large housing budget -250K and I'm looking for towns that will hold their value, good schools and hopefully something to do in the town. I know that's asking for a lot in MA with my budget but not impossible.
If a smaller high school is more important than a better quality education then probably Bellingham, or maybe Hopedale if you don't mind the very high taxes (and I actually heard their schools are quite good).

That budget will probably limit you to fixer-upers in all of those towns, and you will probably need to search across many towns anyway till you find something appropriate.

You haven't shared where you will be working. Have you considered Norton as well? Its high school isn't that large, and has a solid reputation. Like with every other place mentioned that budget will be tough, but maybe you could find a fixer upper in the Grove or something.

Last edited by massnative71; 02-11-2018 at 10:34 AM..

Old 02-11-2018, 10:29 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Yes, I always heard Hopedale's schools are pretty good. The OP wants something to do in the town, and there is nothing.

Something has to be compromised.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Yes, I always heard Hopedale's schools are pretty good. The OP wants something to do in the town, and there is nothing.

Something has to be compromised.
But it's a very small town in area and Milford and Bellingham are right next door, not that Milford is that nice.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:05 AM

317 posts, read 331,731 times
I think you should cross having something to do in the town off your list of requirements. What do you really need to do in the town? Like grocery shop maybe. It’s not like you’ll be in the middle of nowhere. We’re in the northeast so you will find basically every amenity within 15-20 min. If you have a million+ budget I could see being picky about a town center, with small good schools, that’s safe. But not at anywhere near 250k.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:07 PM

73 posts, read 124,921 times
I'm throwing out there the things I'd want and anticipate compromising. Having things to do in town would be the first thing to be crossed off a list because in this part of the state, there's lots going on. Finding a house with this budget this close to Boston and not in a sketchy city/town is challenging. Finding a house on a quiet street is hard. I don't mind a fixer upper at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts