Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 02:07 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,657 times

Advertisements

I love the sebego lake/long lake area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 02:17 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Lakes always make me worry about N. Fowleri.
But the oceans are full of sharks and seaweed!!

I wouldn't worry about N. Fowleri - it's common in warm water lakes and in New England, those are few and far between.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:52 PM

17,671 posts, read 9,155,986 times
I get a little weirded out about what I may be stepping on in the ocean.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:26 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
But the oceans are full of sharks and seaweed!!

I wouldn't worry about N. Fowleri - it's common in warm water lakes and in New England, those are few and far between.
There was a case a few years back in Minnesota. If they're in MN, they can be anywhere.

You might be able to get away from a shark or ward off an attack. You also can survive a shark attack. Once the amoeba starts eating your brain, nothing can save you. You die.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:54 PM

5,014 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS-GR View Post
Swampscott/Marblehead area has zero things to do for families and especially for kids. You have to shuttle the kids around to the entire North Shore area for activities.
There is absolutely no park or anything within 10 minute drive....Can you compare walking on Swampscott Lynn shore drive or on the street at Marblehead neck to World's end? or Wompatuck? how many farms do you know at Swampscott or Marblehead...? how many options for arts etc does the area offer?
Again, in the North Shore, a family has to use the entire area for activities and things to do and there are a couple of nice, isolated towns here and there like Manchester, but there is no way that you can stay in one area for activities. South shore totally offers this. If one lives in Hingham or Cohasset or Duxbury, there is absolutely no reason to drive anywhere further than maybe 10-15minutes for everything the family needs, unless they want to.
I'm not even sure where to begin here...

Have you been to Devereux Beach? Seaside Park? All within walking distance to downtown Marblehead, many of the neighborhoods, the schools, Marblehead Neck. There's a bike/walk path that cuts to the schools/behind the neighborhoods FLOODED with kids every day. It's a Norman Rockwell painting in action. Nothing like that in Hingham or Cohasset, right wrong or indifferent. But, expand that within a 10 mile radius. Coolidge Point? Singing Beach? Castle Rock? Masconomo Park? West Beach? Lyons? Independence? Waikiki? Forest River Park? Phillips Beach? Yacht club after yacht club.

Chicagoliz is correct, this is way off topic.. And I'm partially to blame. I just wanted to share my opposing opinion that you started for North Shore vs. South Shore. The one thing that I do like more about the South Shore is the bar pizza, though even then, I prefer the Italian pies you find north of the city.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:30 PM

188 posts, read 283,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I'm not even sure where to begin here...

Have you been to Devereux Beach? Seaside Park? All within walking distance to downtown Marblehead, many of the neighborhoods, the schools, Marblehead Neck. There's a bike/walk path that cuts to the schools/behind the neighborhoods FLOODED with kids every day. It's a Norman Rockwell painting in action. Nothing like that in Hingham or Cohasset, right wrong or indifferent. But, expand that within a 10 mile radius. Coolidge Point? Singing Beach? Castle Rock? Masconomo Park? West Beach? Lyons? Independence? Waikiki? Forest River Park? Phillips Beach? Yacht club after yacht club.

Chicagoliz is correct, this is way off topic.. And I'm partially to blame. I just wanted to share my opposing opinion that you started for North Shore vs. South Shore. The one thing that I do like more about the South Shore is the bar pizza, though even then, I prefer the Italian pies you find north of the city.
Even if it is off topic (which is not), I have to say that clearly you have not explored thoroughly Hingham-Cohasset-Scituate area. Devereux beach and Seaside park are nice, but VERY small parks/playgrounds. World's end and Wompatuck are many miles!! Cohasset has beaches open only to residents, Hingham has beaches too and Scituate has a great downtown and beaches. The Marblehead trail is about 1 mile only. Almost nobody bikes on streets, because of traffic. Manchester (e.g., Singing beach) is not 10 minutes from Marblehead...it takes 10 minutes to get to 1A from Marblehead. The traffic through Salem downtown is crazy. Marblehead neck is great, but you have to walk on the street.
There is no doubt that the north shore is more congested than south shore. Also, I did not say that there are no playgrounds in the area. I said there are no big parks. Also, I said more importantly that for family activities, families have to shuttle kids to Peabody and even Danvers and the entire North shore. I do not even mention the lack of early school programs, the overcrowded schools and the need to go for afterschool programs to JCC or YMCA. Even the new YMCA in Marblehead cannot be compared to the YMCA of Hannover...just look at the programs they offer there. I can go on and on... Marblehead has one great private school, while Hingham has Notre Dame, Derby academy, Inly in Scituate... there are so many kids that go to BC High by train!
In any case, as I said, a town that is great for one family may not be great for others.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:50 PM

5,014 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS-GR View Post
Even if it is off topic (which is not), I have to say that clearly you have not explored thoroughly Hingham-Cohasset-Scituate area. Devereux beach and Seaside park are nice, but VERY small parks/playgrounds. World's end and Wompatuck are many miles!! Cohasset has beaches open only to residents, Hingham has beaches too and Scituate has a great downtown and beaches. The Marblehead trail is about 1 mile only. Almost nobody bikes on streets, because of traffic. Manchester (e.g., Singing beach) is not 10 minutes from Marblehead...it takes 10 minutes to get to 1A from Marblehead. The traffic through Salem downtown is crazy. Marblehead neck is great, but you have to walk on the street.
There is no doubt that the north shore is more congested than south shore. Also, I did not say that there are no playgrounds in the area. I said there are no big parks. Also, I said more importantly that for family activities, families have to shuttle kids to Peabody and even Danvers and the entire North shore. I do not even mention the lack of early school programs, the overcrowded schools and the need to go for afterschool programs to JCC or YMCA. Even the new YMCA in Marblehead cannot be compared to the YMCA of Hannover...just look at the programs they offer there. I can go on and on... Marblehead has one great private school, while Hingham has Notre Dame, Derby academy, Inly in Scituate... there are so many kids that go to BC High by train!
In any case, as I said, a town that is great for one family may not be great for others.
10 miles*, not minutes. It's actually 14 miles, so I was admittedly off.

But you can go on and on, as can I.

Route 3 is a travesty, and getting from downtown Hingham to 3 via 228 isn't exactly a treat. The towns sprawl, way more than they do on the North Shore. Hingham's population density is <1000 p/sqmi. Marblehead? 4500 p/sqmi. Scituate is 1000 p/sqmi, while again, Swampscott is 4500 p/sqmi. So, while it may be more congested in areas, it's also walkable. And bikeable. And has a buzz. Driving to Worlds End on a busy day and waiting (and paying) for parking isn't really my ideal afternoon. In fact, my favorite little area of Hingham is the one full of capes that sits just east of the Shipyard development. Why? Because you can walk there.

There's a lack of early school programs!? Swampscott schools have early programs. The town has Family Child Care, New Sunrise, First Church. Marblehead much the same with Devereux, First Meeting House, etc. BC High is a train ride away? Heard of Saint John's Prep? Many kids attend Malden Catholic. What about Governors? This schooling banter is useless- Hingham and Cohasset are great, so is Marblehead and Manchester. Scituate is fine, so is Swampscott.

You are right. Families desire different things. As someone from Chicago, who's familiar with Hinsdale, I'm not sure a town like Cohasset should even be in the discussion. Most certainly, a town like Marblehead would be more comfortable (unless they're looking for a big change). Either way, the commute shouldn't be recommended from the North Shore or South Shore. Besides, I'm a MetroWest guy through and through

Last edited by mwj119; 06-07-2018 at 08:09 PM..

Old 06-07-2018, 08:04 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,657 times
Neither the north or south shore would be an easy commute to the Back Bay. To the back bay the easy commute would be from the West.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:54 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
The North Shore vs. South Shore pissing match is pretty far off topic and of no value to the OP.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:51 PM

652 posts, read 749,346 times
Metro West is way better than either shore anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts