Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 08:53 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveTheIce View Post
Ok, so where do I send my money for your consulting services?

Wow- I could have not asked for a better rundown if I tried. That was well thought out and really painted
an excellent picture for me. I have not spent much time in the area since I was a kid and my Grandparents had a quite a bit of land around Harvard MA.

We will certainly take your advice and look hard in the areas you suggested. Seems like Westford is well liked in many circles I have been in, ditto for Concord (big plus for the bike trail that I believe runs all the way into Cambridge).

You mention growing up in Acton- what is your take on Boxborough? Stowe?

Another big thanks!
Yes, we love Concord. Folks from both Acton and Westford use their amenities on a regular basis, including kayaking/canoeing and biking. The major bike path, that I believe you're referencing, actually runs through Concord, Acton, and Westford. It's called Bruce Freeman Trail.

Anyways, Westford is going to offer a lot in that way, too. East Boston camps is beautiful.. Very fun area to run, swim, walk, etc. Tom Paul Trail is a beautiful trail over by the Academy. Here is a list on the Westford Conservation site: https://westfordconservationtrust.org/trails/

And, Boxborough/Stowe/Bolton are definitely pretty areas. But, to me, there is no reason to sacrifice the convenience when you can find that serenity in beauty in a town that also hosts modern amenities and more of a community feel. While some areas of Westford and Acton have large homes on 4 acre lots, farms, and windy roads, there are other areas with 200 house neighborhoods, block parties, and BBQs. For me, t's really nice to have both, and to be able to go to Evivva Cucina for pizza and a beer, or Seoul Kitchen for Korean BBQ, or to Kimball Farm for ice cream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 10:34 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,420 times
Bedford. Quick drive to Lexington or Concord if you want the old fashioned town center. Quick drive to Burlington for shopping. Best location out of the three as far as being central to things. Some nice suburban neighborhoods, great schools. And unlike Concord you could afford Bedford with that budget.

Unless you live directly in the town center of Concord there really isn't much of a benefit of it versus Bedford since Bedford is so close to other town centers that have more.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Bedford. Quick drive to Lexington or Concord if you want the old fashioned town center. Quick drive to Burlington for shopping. Best location out of the three as far as being central to things. Some nice suburban neighborhoods, great schools. And unlike Concord you could afford Bedford with that budget.

Unless you live directly in the town center of Concord there really isn't much of a benefit of it versus Bedford since Bedford is so close to other town centers that have more.
Without the commute restriction, you're going to sacrifice on the house/neighborhood for no real reason other than convenience to Burlington. Westford is going to be ~15-20 minutes to Burlington, and ~15 to Nashua, and ~15 minutes from Lowell. Plenty of access to anything and everything there, and a nicer home, in what's likely to be a nicer area at the price point.

End of the day, you're looking at a split-level in a 60s/70s neighborhood at that $600-700 price point in Bedford. In Westford, for $650k, you're looking at a 2500 sqft 90's neighborhood with sidewalks, basketball courts, etc. As someone who knows the area too well, I'm not sure I see the value in Bedford at that budget.

Last edited by mwj119; 06-07-2018 at 08:04 AM..

Old 06-07-2018, 08:40 AM

550 posts, read 680,188 times
Westford or Acton would be my choices

Old 06-07-2018, 09:34 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,425,013 times
I would probably add Littleton to your list. I think your dollar goes a bit further and there is commuter rail access in to Boston.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:53 AM

121 posts, read 158,124 times
Thanks to everyone that responded, I really appreciate it!

Regarding rail access into Boston-

If someone lived in Acton or Westford how far of a drive would it be to the station?

Would both lines have stops at North and South station?

Can anyone who makes that commute guesstimate travel on those lines?

Old 06-07-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveTheIce View Post
Thanks to everyone that responded, I really appreciate it!

Regarding rail access into Boston-

If someone lived in Acton or Westford how far of a drive would it be to the station?

Would both lines have stops at North and South station?

Can anyone who makes that commute guesstimate travel on those lines?
Westford would use the Lowell line, which I believe has express. I think it's 45 minutes on the nose, and the drive is typically 10-20 minutes depending on area of Westford.

Acton has the West Acton station, which is typically 50 minutes to Boston, but does have limited parking.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:27 AM

161 posts, read 230,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Westford would use the Lowell line, which I believe has express. I think it's 45 minutes on the nose, and the drive is typically 10-20 minutes depending on area of Westford.

Acton has the West Acton station, which is typically 50 minutes to Boston, but does have limited parking.
The West Acton station has not existed since the 1980s. The station is South Acton, and the express is 27 minutes to Cambridge (Porter) and 38 minutes to Boston (North Station). Neighborhoods in South Acton are walkable to the station. Currently, there is a new development of homes in the $600K to $700K range being built directly across from the station.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:34 AM

161 posts, read 230,930 times
I am not sure how old your children are. But I will mention that Acton-Boxborough school district has school choice at the elementary level. You can choose between 6 schools, each with their own teaching philosophies. You are not required to attend the school geographically closest to you.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:53 AM

121 posts, read 158,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00na View Post
I am not sure how old your children are. But I will mention that Acton-Boxborough school district has school choice at the elementary level. You can choose between 6 schools, each with their own teaching philosophies. You are not required to attend the school geographically closest to you.
Thanks, that's a big plus to have options. I'd be really curious regarding the teaching philosophies- does each school actually publish what they are?

My kids are really spread out in age: 1, 7 and 11 so plenty of work ahead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts