Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 08:26 AM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times

Advertisements

State, local, DOC and everybody else...

2 officers shot in Falmouth expected to recover | Boston Herald

This is happening way too often, and far more respect is deserved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 06:49 AM

880 posts, read 821,228 times
+1, law enforcement deserve all the respect they get. Some think its 'trendy' to hate on all police because of some bad apples

Old 07-29-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
+1, law enforcement deserve all the respect they get. Some think its 'trendy' to hate on all police because of some bad apples

Meh. There are a few bad apples in all professions, as was always the case. I think the standards and transparency in that field are higher than they have ever been. IMHO most of this new police hating comes from the war on law enforcement, mostly perpetuated by an irresponsible and reckless mass media.

I would like to extend my gratitude to other first responders as well (firefighters/EMTs...) as well as nurses. It's truly sickening the society we now live in, but their lives have become more dangerous as well. Yes, nurses getting assaulted by the same patients relying on them for care. At least if a cop/firefighter/EMT gets assaulted on the job, that is punishable by more severe penalties. Nurses, that has not been the case. Nor have they had means to restrain their patients and defend themselves. They was a bill filed in the legislature a few years ago to change that, not sure if that got anywhere though.

God Bless all of you.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:17 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,146,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
IMHO most of this new police hating comes from the war on law enforcement, mostly perpetuated by an irresponsible and reckless mass media.

No, objective people such as myself loath police organizations, but not the individuals per se, because of their continued practice of 'blue walling' the public and the courts. The moment a collective of people compromises their ethics to support and protect a bad actor (i.e., their pension) is the moment they forfeit their honor and respect. The practice is remains rampant and the longer departments let it fester, the more credibly they will lose.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
No, objective people such as myself loath police organizations, but not the individuals per se, because of their continued practice of 'blue walling' the public and the courts. The moment a collective of people compromises their ethics to support and protect a bad actor (i.e., their pension) is the moment they forfeit their honor and respect. The practice is remains rampant and the longer departments let it fester, the more credibly they will lose.

If you are an objective person, this obviously doesn't apply to you. I was more speaking to the pop culture, victim role playing, throwing away personal responsibility, "cops are bad, racist, ___, ____", basically creating an imaginary monster. That is largely a result of the mass media, and their anti-police angle.

I really didn't want to start a new debate here, as there are other active threads going on here for that purpose. But I don't understand where you are going with this "blue walling"??? Do you mean the current state police scandals? From what I see, they are being addressed and prosecuted.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:10 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
The Blue Wall of Silence is well known. Cops covering for each other. Covering up for each other. Refusing to release records to public records requests by using, no matter what, the "it's an active investigation" excuse, or just not responding to them despite legal requirements to do so. Etc. It's a well known term and has been for many decades. It's part of that "we're all brothers" nonsense.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:10 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,146,082 times
Quote:
I really didn't want to start a new debate here, as there are other active threads going on here for that purpose. But I don't understand where you are going with this "blue walling"??? Do you mean the current state police scandals? From what I see, they are being addressed and prosecuted.
I was referring to the 'blue wall of silence'. When a majority of 'good actors' within the force remain silent on the minority of 'bad actors' for fear of retribution - illegal, but still very present. This culture leads to situations like the current state troop scandal.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I was referring to the 'blue wall of silence'. When a majority of 'good actors' within the force remain silent on the minority of 'bad actors' for fear of retribution - illegal, but still very present. This culture leads to situations like the current state troop scandal.

Eh, I've seen this across all kinds of professions (the whole code of silence, don't rat culture). Even in the case of private businesses that refuse to throw their competitors under the bus (in exchange for the return). I realize the police are held to a higher moral standard than most everybody else, is what I guess makes it more disturbing (if we can't even trust them, who is left?). But I stand by my original point that this is not where I think this new wave of police hate is coming from, particularly the "Ferguson effect". I also remain convinced that police corruption has hit an all time low, at least in Massachusetts. The state police might be one of the last remaining holdouts of that old culture, but as we see they are getting dealt with as well. Things are so much more transparent now than they used to be.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:50 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Things are so much more transparent now than they used to be.

Thank you to citizen activism and social media forcing them to be accountable. They are being drug along kicking and screaming, but ever so slowly, things are improving. Very slowly.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Thank you to citizen activism and social media forcing them to be accountable. They are being drug along kicking and screaming, but ever so slowly, things are improving. Very slowly.

Much more technology and political trends are to thank for that. Social media is mostly a bunch of clueless whining and not taken very seriously by the powers that be. And most cops I know welcome the changes, then again most of them lean on the younger side. Now if only we could get politicians to the same standards of accountability, they will be the last ones though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts