Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 05:31 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Lol. This.

As soon as I hear/read "woke" my eyes glaze over...
I was unable to comprehend the sentence that used it.

Veering back on topic....

I fail to see how a High School C student with a couple of years in the Army because they had no other option, an Associate degree in Criminal Justice from some community college, maybe a bachelors degree from a 3rd tier state school, bumps you to the top of the list for a union cop job with the compensation of that job. Then layer on the detail work that would be racketeering if it wasn’t cops. My town has a couple dozen cops making 6 figures with that kind of background. Plus the pension. Plus early retirement medical benefits. I think they’re massively overcompensated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 07:46 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,143,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
You may not realize the ridicule and harassment that I and my family have got from our neighbors. People making fun of my food at school. People calling me names that are disgusting. People making fun of my parents accent. Some of those people were white, a lot of those people were black. some of those people were brown. i remember one was a black girl who almost slapped me when i told her to keep quiet.
Your personal experience does not negate the reality that 'white privilege', or white bias, does indeed exist. I'm not sure why white individuals feel that acknowledging it undermines their effort or struggle, but denying it denies the reality of many black Americans live.

I witnessed enough of my wealthy white peers make a number of legal 'mistakes' with local PD giving them and daddy a strong lecture, including getting bagged with cocaine and driving what was effectively a stolen vehicle. Meanwhile, my black and latino peers were being harassed/arrested over petty drugs (marijuana) and concerning themselves with whether all of their vehicle lights were functional - wouldn't want that shameful roadside vehicle search over a burnt tail light. The divide is quite obvious to those of us who group up in diverse 'burbs.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:25 AM

23,580 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I was unable to comprehend the sentence that used it.

Veering back on topic....

I fail to see how a High School C student with a couple of years in the Army because they had no other option, an Associate degree in Criminal Justice from some community college, maybe a bachelors degree from a 3rd tier state school, bumps you to the top of the list for a union cop job with the compensation of that job. Then layer on the detail work that would be racketeering if it wasn’t cops. My town has a couple dozen cops making 6 figures with that kind of background. Plus the pension. Plus early retirement medical benefits. I think they’re massively overcompensated.

No it is not on topic, do you even remember what that was? Just the same old nonsense rant you have probably repeated 100 times over on this forum in the past month or two, perhaps convinced that it will become true no matter how many times you are shown to be wrong.

I got a grand idea...rather than taking your gripes to City-Data, your energy might be better spent applying to your local police department. I mean such an amazing man like yourself, how could they turn you down when all they seem to be getting is these supposedly inferior candidates? You would then get all these lavish pay and benefits you are so envious of, and you also get to come back here and brag to us about how simple and easy the job is for the money you get. We know you aren't shy about patting yourself on the back. And most importantly, your cognitively superior self could show those "lessers" how it is done. I think you would rock the show!

Old 08-08-2018, 08:30 AM

17,758 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Meanwhile, my black and latino peers were being harassed/arrested over petty drugs (marijuana) and concerning themselves with whether all of their vehicle lights were functional - wouldn't want that shameful roadside vehicle search over a burnt tail light.
Same thing happens with lower class white people in many places.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

I know several white people who have been harassed back in the day simply because they "didn't look like they belonged there", even though it is where they lived (ie. a white kid would only come to Chelsea to buy drugs). So it goes both ways...

Old 08-08-2018, 08:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Sure it does, but again this...

Quote:
....does not negate the reality that 'white privilege', or white bias, does indeed exist. I'm not sure why white individuals feel that acknowledging it undermines their effort or struggle, but denying it denies the reality of many black Americans live.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:08 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
No it is not on topic, do you even remember what that was? Just the same old nonsense rant you have probably repeated 100 times over on this forum in the past month or two, perhaps convinced that it will become true no matter how many times you are shown to be wrong.

I got a grand idea...rather than taking your gripes to City-Data, your energy might be better spent applying to your local police department. I mean such an amazing man like yourself, how could they turn you down when all they seem to be getting is these supposedly inferior candidates? You would then get all these lavish pay and benefits you are so envious of, and you also get to come back here and brag to us about how simple and easy the job is for the money you get. We know you aren't shy about patting yourself on the back. And most importantly, your cognitively superior self could show those "lessers" how it is done. I think you would rock the show!

The topic is your deification of policemen. It's totally on-topic to point out that they're overcompensated.

Since you are totally unable to defend your position, you resort to an ad hominem attack.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:26 PM

3,222 posts, read 2,125,893 times
Quote:
Your personal experience does not negate the reality that 'white privilege', or white bias, does indeed exist. I'm not sure why white individuals feel that acknowledging it undermines their effort or struggle, but denying it denies the reality of many black Americans live.

I witnessed enough of my wealthy white peers make a number of legal 'mistakes' with local PD giving them and daddy a strong lecture, including getting bagged with cocaine and driving what was effectively a stolen vehicle. Meanwhile, my black and latino peers were being harassed/arrested over petty drugs (marijuana) and concerning themselves with whether all of their vehicle lights were functional - wouldn't want that shameful roadside vehicle search over a burnt tail light. The divide is quite obvious to those of us who group up in diverse 'burbs.
My personal experience does not negate reality? Only yours does? Or a black person pulled over? My reality means nothing? Maybe people are tired of hearing that their personal reality means nothing. it's about the buzzwords and trending youtube videos, and current news clips. Not what happens to you as an individual. #myreality #woke

Old 08-08-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The topic is your deification of policemen. It's totally on-topic to point out that they're overcompensated.

Since you are totally unable to defend your position, you resort to an ad hominem attack.
No the topic was a simple thank you for an increasingly dangerous job amidst the ongoing anti-law enforcement campaign by the media, as well as a lenient justice system that puts them at an even greater danger. Has zero to do with compensation, or deification of policemen. I suggest starting a new thread if your mission is to rant about the public servant pay.

I HAVE defended my position MULTIPLE times if you care to go back and read; and rather than respond in return (or acknowledge you are wrong) you simply rehash the same old hackneyed points bashing the police, military and public higher education all in one post. All of them have been addressed to death and then some. I have family/friends/and other associations in law enforcement, military, as well as academia and they all contradict everything you claim.

Meanwhile in the lovely town of Dartmouth:

Dartmouth police arrest two on drug charges after one attempts to run over detective - News - The Herald News, Fall River, MA - Fall River, MA

This is why they make the "big bucks" while you are puttering around on your sailboat. I will thank them, for you.

Last edited by massnative71; 08-08-2018 at 04:42 PM..

Old 08-08-2018, 05:04 PM

17,758 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Meanwhile, my black and latino peers were being harassed/arrested over petty drugs (marijuana) and concerning themselves with whether all of their vehicle lights were functional - wouldn't want that shameful roadside vehicle search over a burnt tail light.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sure it does, but again this...

Quote:
...does not negate the reality that 'white privilege', or white bias, does indeed exist. I'm not sure why white individuals feel that acknowledging it undermines their effort or struggle, but denying it denies the reality of many black Americans live.
I'm not denying that white privilege exists. I don't think anyone here is. I do believe it exists more for some than it does for others. And, regarding privilege, I feel that appearance can sometimes matter just as much (if not more) than skin color.

Shrewsburried's comments may or may not reflect his experiences, but they come across as exaggerated (if not fabricated) in an attempt to make his point. Regardless, the message he's sending gives the wrong impression.

And getting back to your earlier comment -- the black guy with the gun that ran from the cops wouldn't have been shot at if he was white? I understand that you're trying to 'win' an internet argument but c'mon...there's no way you actually believe that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts