Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 05:39 AM

3,222 posts, read 2,127,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
And getting back to your earlier comment -- the black guy with the gun that ran from the cops wouldn't have been shot at if he was white? I understand that you're trying to 'win' an internet argument but c'mon...there's no way you actually believe that.
Seriously.. WTF. Do people really need us to dig up multiple accounts of white people being shot for the same or less crimes? Or does that not fit your narrative?
That stuff doesn't sell these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 06:48 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
And getting back to your earlier comment -- the black guy with the gun that ran from the cops wouldn't have been shot at if he was white? I understand that you're trying to 'win' an internet argument but c'mon...there's no way you actually believe that.

The data shows it is far less likely he would have been shot. So yes, I believe it.

Also, it is WAAAAAAY less likely a white man with a gun is going to be harassed in the first place. White people with guns, the assumption is generally that he is legally carrying. Black people with guns, the assumption is generally he is breaking the law.

No one, black, white or otherwise should ever ever be shot for just running. That cop should be in jail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Seriously.. WTF. Do people really need us to dig up multiple accounts of white people being shot for the same or less crimes? Or does that not fit your narrative?
That stuff doesn't sell these days.
No one said it never happens. The data doesn't show it is an equivalent occurrence.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The data shows it is far less likely he would have been shot. So yes, I believe it.

Also, it is WAAAAAAY less likely a white man with a gun is going to be harassed in the first place. White people with guns, the assumption is generally that he is legally carrying. Black people with guns, the assumption is generally he is breaking the law.

No one, black, white or otherwise should ever ever be shot for just running. That cop should be in jail.

No one said it never happens. The data doesn't show it is an equivalent occurrence.
If you honestly think a white man waving a pistol and running after being told multiple times to "drop the gun, or ill kill you" wouldn't suffer the same fate................ i don't know what to tell you

Old 08-09-2018, 09:34 AM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:

This data suggests otherwise.

Black Lives Matter Statistics and Damn Lies - Blue Lives Matter

"Of the 1,491 persons who died as a result of police uses of force during the researched period, 61.4% were white males. Only 32.2% were black males"

"nearly 41% of murdered police officers were killed by black males; compare this to the 32% black male homicide rate mentioned above. This is significant, given the fact that blacks as a whole comprise only 13% of the U.S. population of over 316,000,000, and there are less than 900,000 peace officers in this country, including many who do not work in a street patrol capacity."

Quote:

You are entitled to your opinion.

Quote:

HE WAS SHOWN ON CAMERA TURNING TOWARDS THE OFFICER WITH GUN IN HIS HAND (after multiple commands to stop). What part of that can't you comprehend? Was the officer supposed to wait for the suspect to shoot him first before returning fire?

And let me ask you this. Suppose he didn't turn with the gun in his hand, but was running straight towards a school yard full of kids saying "I'm going to kill those MFers!". Should they wait for a friggen social worker to arrive prior to using lawful force???

Old 08-09-2018, 10:22 AM

Stop spreading these hateful FACTS.
It doesn't fit the narrative.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

"Of the 1,491 persons who died as a result of police uses of force during the researched period, 61.4% were white males. Only 32.2% were black males"

"nearly 41% of murdered police officers were killed by black males; compare this to the 32% black male homicide rate mentioned above. This is significant, given the fact that blacks as a whole comprise only 13% of the U.S. population of over 316,000,000, and there are less than 900,000 peace officers in this country, including many who do not work in a street patrol capacity."

That data doesn't suggest anything contrary to what I pointed out. It doesn't suggest anything contrary to the facts I pointed out at all.

It's also not from a peer reviewed journal piece, but from a fringe group with a weird agenda.

I really wonder if you read what you post since it has nothing to do with the topic.

Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion. ."

It isn't an opinion. The data shows it. Even in highly controlled experiments cops are more likely under similar circumstances to shoot a black person than a white. Of course, if you read the extensive research on this, you would learn.

Quote:
HE WAS SHOWN ON CAMERA TURNING TOWARDS THE OFFICER WITH GUN IN HIS HAND (after multiple commands to stop). What part of that can't you comprehend? Was the officer supposed to wait for the suspect to shoot him first before returning fire?
Was he shot running away pleading for his life, or not? Did he threaten anyone, or not?

He was murdered by the police. Why the hell they were chasing him no one can explain.

Quote:
And let me ask you this. Suppose he didn't turn with the gun in his hand, but was running straight towards a school yard full of kids saying "I'm going to kill those MFers!". Should they wait for a friggen social worker to arrive prior to using lawful force???
Different circumstance. One that didn't occur.

Why accost him at all? Why chase him? Why in the world would he be threatening anyone?

The only people ACTUALLY threatening anyone in this situation were the police that murdered him.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:45 AM

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0c590f7e7fb17

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...hootings-2016/

Here are 2 sources that are from pretty left leaning sources? Do you have data to suggest otherwise? or are you just crying "liar" again

Seems you may be the one with an agenda

Old 08-09-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0c590f7e7fb17

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...hootings-2016/

Here are 2 sources that are from pretty left leaning sources? Do you have data to suggest otherwise? or are you just crying "liar" again

Seems you may be the one with an agenda

I don't see any left leaning sources cited. I don't care about sources that lean.

But, neither of those pieces are about the issue that is being discussed. I have no idea why you posted them.

I have posted journal articles ad nauseum on this site, none have been read, or they have been dismissed from being from liberal academics or some other such nonsense.

Are there journal articles that show no racial disparity in force? Sure, they can be found , but they make the same tired old mistake-> they weight the data proportionally to the groups "criminal involvement with police" and they don't take the racial bias of this involvement.

But what the hell, in case someone actually wants to read:

A Multi-Level Bayesian Analysis of Racial Bias in Police Shootings at the County-Level in the United States, 2011

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2016/12/cover-policing.aspx

I'll just post two, of dozens (or more) out there.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:38 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,931,212 times
Quote:

If 13% of the US population are black males and 32% of those killed by police were black males, wouldn't that suggest there is a bit of a disparity?

And I'm not quite sure how you can compare the two categories reasonably. Are you saying that since a black man is more likely to kill a police officer, it makes sense that an officer is more likely to kill a black man?

Old 08-09-2018, 02:51 PM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
If 13% of the US population are black males and 32% of those killed by police were black males, wouldn't that suggest there is a bit of a disparity?

And I'm not quite sure how you can compare the two categories reasonably. Are you saying that since a black man is more likely to kill a police officer, it makes sense that an officer is more likely to kill a black man?
Yes that is what I am saying. While there is obviously not a direct link; one would think that if 41% of police officers killed were killed by black males, that a similar number of people killed by police would be black males as well. This data suggests that black males are not killed by police at the same rate that they pose a lethal threat to police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts