Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 07:04 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I prob will get the XL so a SUV shows up. But there are fewer of those than the reg variety so I have to keep an eye on the availability and plan on calling for 1 way ahead
... My flight is 10:10 pm, so prob need to get there around 7 pm to deal w TSA delays. Perhaps I'll book the car around 5:15 pm. So if it takes 30 min to arrive, I'll be in good shape. Drive is from Natick to BOS which usually takes 45 min but it could take 1 hr w the weather.
I drive rideshare.

Some drivers will refuse your destination, especially if you're going far in the bad weather. Or if they suddenly see the competitor is surging but their scheduled ride with you isn't, they may cancel you and choose the other service which is surging.

Once you are matched with a driver, call or text him or her right away and explain you're going to Logan. At least you'll know if they're amenable to that drive, and can cancel and order another one without wasting more time. Yes, you put in your destination during your request, but we don't ever know your destination until we arrive, so that's why it'll be good to let him know. Though nobody really does that.

If bad weather and he's hesitant to drive that far, tell him you'll tip $20. That should have him accept quickly.
Sometimes a cab is better, as they don't surge and almost any driver that far from Logan is salivating for a Logan fare, anytime. You can usually do a scheduled trip with cab companies also. Probably a special flat rate if a distant community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 07:55 AM

350 posts, read 1,090,798 times
Maybe for a snowy day it may be better to book a cab ahead and request an SUV - many people do at this time of year if they have skis. Some cab companies have a flat rate to airport.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:13 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I prob will get the XL so a SUV shows up. But there are fewer of those than the reg variety so I have to keep an eye on the availability and plan on calling for 1 way ahead
... My flight is 10:10 pm, so prob need to get there around 7 pm to deal w TSA delays. Perhaps I'll book the car around 5:15 pm. So if it takes 30 min to arrive, I'll be in good shape. Drive is from Natick to BOS which usually takes 45 min but it could take 1 hr w the weather.
All bets are off during a storm, good chance of a delay or cancellation. I flew out of Logan last Monday around noon, there was no wait at all at TSA checkpoint.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:41 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I drive rideshare.

Some drivers will refuse your destination, especially if you're going far in the bad weather. Or if they suddenly see the competitor is surging but their scheduled ride with you isn't, they may cancel you and choose the other service which is surging.

Once you are matched with a driver, call or text him or her right away and explain you're going to Logan. At least you'll know if they're amenable to that drive, and can cancel and order another one without wasting more time. Yes, you put in your destination during your request, but we don't ever know your destination until we arrive, so that's why it'll be good to let him know. Though nobody really does that.

If bad weather and he's hesitant to drive that far, tell him you'll tip $20. That should have him accept quickly.
Sometimes a cab is better, as they don't surge and almost any driver that far from Logan is salivating for a Logan fare, anytime. You can usually do a scheduled trip with cab companies also. Probably a special flat rate if a distant community.
So an Uber can refuse service when they get there to pick you up - after finding out where you want to go?

Old 01-19-2019, 09:38 AM

https://twitter.com/NWSBoston/status...49412783345665

Old 01-19-2019, 05:50 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
As of right now, we have no real snow here. Less than an 8th of an inch.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
As of right now, we have no real snow here. Less than an 8th of an inch.
Same here. Nothing at all on the roads, but the grass is completely covered with a thin layer.

Sunday night into Monday morning is going to be ridiculously cold. The wind chill will be anywhere from -10 to -29. Coldest in western MA.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:18 PM

Wind chill map for Sunday night into Monday morning. If the ice causes power outages, this could be rough.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DxTZonMWsAEzNe3.jpg

Old 01-20-2019, 04:45 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Took Uber last night and it was fine. Granted not a 20 mile drive but there were plenty of drivers out. Clocked into work this AM at 530, Route 2 out to 495 was messy but no problem traveling. Hope the ice doesn't cause all kinds of problems.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:58 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I have a wedding Sat night. Uncertain how bad it will be around midnight, but original plan was to Uber it, but now i'm just going to forgo drinking and take my own car. When I want to go home, I want to go home NOW...not sit around twiddling my thumbs
As predicted (to my family..not to anyone here) those who "reserved" Uber's on Sat night at the wedding had problems getting them. Only 1 showed up, and 3 couldn't get a driver. We were in Ipswich

I ended up playing taxi since I was driving a 7-person SUV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts