Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 08:33 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
True but the Tsongas Arena and LeLacheur Park are a bit of a ways from where the O.P. is moving to. Both landmarks are closer to UMass Lowell than Downtown. Sure there are a few bars and pubs down by Middlesex and Central (Thirsty First, Garcia Brogan's to name a few) but other than the summertime when there is an event, I have not seen huge crowds heading to them at night. Believe me, having worked in Lowell for over a year now, I have seen way more automobiles in Downtown Lowell than pedestrian traffic. Rush hour traffic in Downtown Lowell is horrendous for a city its size.

Again I'm not dissuading the O.P. from moving there and coworkers have told me that Downtown Lowell used to be so much worse but Middlesex and Central can still be sketchy, especially to individuals unaccustomed to urban living. You will still have to watch for needles and syringes on the sidewalk and be accustomed to panhandlers asking for money. Middlesex, Central and Appleton Streets actually remind me of how Boston's South End used to look like back in the 1990's/early 2000's before the huge wave of gentrification took over. Other close by parts of Lowell remind me of Boston's Mission Hill neighborhood where I grew up as a kid.
It’s only a few blocks we are talking about though. It’s not like we are talking about the Fenway vs the North End. We are talking about an area the geographic size of the North End+ Bulfinch Triangle+ Government Center/Quincy Market, everything is a 15 minute walk max from everything else pretty much in the core of Lowell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 02:23 PM

8 posts, read 9,145 times
I live in Boot Mills. Moved here 3 months ago from Waltham and it was the best decision I made. I am very happy here. My apartment is gorgeous and overlooks the river, and is $600 month cheaper than I paid in Waltham. My daughter loves Lowell High School. My son and I walk over to Tsongas for hockey and basketball games and have an awesome time. I go to yoga at Mill 5 and love it. The Weirdo Wednesdays at Luna Theatre is a hoot.

I agree that nightlife here is pretty tame compared to "the city". When I told people I was moving to Lowell I got a blank stare most of the time, so I was kinda scared at first, but I feel perfectly safe here.

So, don't believe all you hear or read. I think it is a great place to live,and worst case scenario you can always move when your lease is up.

Best of luck!

Old 03-06-2019, 04:07 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,855,557 times
Lowell is an ugly town but it's pretty safe by New England small city standards. I've wandered the streets you mentioned alone once or twice in my drinking days (3-5AM) and was not bothered by anyone. Boott mills are awesome as well if you can afford that building

Old 03-06-2019, 08:24 PM

8 posts, read 9,145 times
Downtown Lowell is beautiful. Much prettier than downtown Waltham. I love Bridge Street bridge lights changing colors.
I love how the canal is illuminated. I love the old buildings and Mills. I love driving along the river on my way to work in Lawrence. And I have only had a few months in winter to explore.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:32 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,233,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverley View Post
Downtown Lowell is beautiful. Much prettier than downtown Waltham. I love Bridge Street bridge lights changing colors.
I love how the canal is illuminated. I love the old buildings and Mills. I love driving along the river on my way to work in Lawrence. And I have only had a few months in winter to explore.

I agree, I think the old mill buildings are cool and I love how almost all of them in Lowell have been repurposed.

Old 03-07-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverley View Post

I think Lawrence is more beautiful than Lowell

Old 03-07-2019, 07:18 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
I think Lawrence is more beautiful than Lowell
How?

Old 03-07-2019, 07:41 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
I just dined in Downtown Lowell a couple of hours ago and went out for a quick stroll along Merrimack Street before catching one of the last LRTA buses out of Downtown (the last one on my particular route). It's not something I often do but I had a late work related meeting nearby this night. From my observations, the restaurant I dined at as well as a few others were pretty busy. There was a surprising number of young people dining in the restaurants too. Pedestrian traffic was rather light as expected, especially when compared to Cambridge, Somerville, or Boston, but comparable to say Quincy, Malden, or Lynn I suppose. Interestingly, there were a lot of cars parked all along the downtown streets which gives me the hint that Lowell remains an autocentric city and this again is no surprise on account of the scant bus service which pretty much ends around 8:00-8:30pm on Mon-Fri nights. That last bus I was on only had six passengers including myself.

Merrimack Street is not a bad street to walk on at night even though it can be quiet. Palmer Street, a little street off Merrimack with its antique cobblestones is even more pleasant. Middlesex, Appleton, Green and Gorham Streets I find depressing to outright revolting even during the day. Trash is strewn everywhere, you'll find homeless sleeping on sheltered doorsteps, and that section of Downtown is where you're more likely to find loonies accosting you. My workplace happens to be down in that section so I have no choice but to walk some of those streets but there isn't really much to see down there so I wouldn't suggest it for others.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:02 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,233,403 times
Quote:
I just dined in Downtown Lowell a couple of hours ago and went out for a quick stroll along Merrimack Street before catching one of the last LRTA buses out of Downtown (the last one on my particular route). It's not something I often do but I had a late work related meeting nearby this night. From my observations, the restaurant I dined at as well as a few others were pretty busy. There was a surprising number of young people dining in the restaurants too. Pedestrian traffic was rather light as expected, especially when compared to Cambridge, Somerville, or Boston, but comparable to say Quincy, Malden, or Lynn I suppose. Interestingly, there were a lot of cars parked all along the downtown streets which gives me the hint that Lowell remains an autocentric city and this again is no surprise on account of the scant bus service which pretty much ends around 8:00-8:30pm on Mon-Fri nights. That last bus I was on only had six passengers including myself.
I'd say there is more activity than Lynn, but Quincy and Malden are good comparisons.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
How?
Lowell feels disjointed to me, like it's hard to get from one side of the city to another without crossing weird wasteland spaces like this

https://goo.gl/maps/QexjPQizGAQ2

The city feels way more sprawling and less walkable. It's a shame that there are so many quality of life issues in Lawrence, otherwise it would be a good place to live. There are some nice houses left as well - i like these ones on e haverhill

https://goo.gl/maps/Tfi7KA8wXML2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts