Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 11:55 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,335,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchilly View Post
It is a tight collaboration between higher level engineers, product management, and the business.
Agree with that,but in a mature organization the PM is directing hows thing need work. Ask a PM at your company if they think h1b is a good proxy for jobs then get back to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 12:06 PM

622 posts, read 565,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Agree with that,but in a mature organization the PM is directing hows thing need work. Ask a PM at your company if they think h1b is a good proxy for jobs then get back to me.
Many product managers are on h1b themselves.

Look at a large company and see the variety of job types they are hiring for h1b
https://h1bdata.info/index.php?em=go...ity=&year=2018

Notice how many Product Managers google has on h1b?

The product managers would probably think h1b salary is a pretty good proxy.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:40 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Typical software engineer, he builds a tool based on flawed analysis, making the whole tool useless. This is why you have roadmap and product strategy guys making the decisions, and the coding minions doing what they say.

He's not a software engineer. He pasted a code sample here. If he were at any of my tech startups, he'd be duck-marched out the door. The code was first semester Freshman level. He's probably formatting hard drives as an IT tech somewhere.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
He's not a software engineer. He pasted a code sample here. If he were at any of my tech startups, he'd be duck-marched out the door. The code was first semester Freshman level. He's probably formatting hard drives as an IT tech somewhere.
Oh give me a freaking break.

I'm a better software engineer than you have ever been.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Rather than resorting to low-effort personal attacks. Mind showing me specifically what is so bad with this code and provide a reason why you would use that as grounds to fire an employee?

https://github.com/panchilly/ma-jobs...er/src/jobs.js

the code is fine... it works. Do you even remember how to code?

Old 03-15-2019, 06:11 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,825,070 times
I would tend to point out that h-1bs are used primarily for the private sector. They are never used for the public sector or for nonprofits. The city of Boston has approximately 30000 city employees and they usually fall under residency. Certainly you can make the argument that there are immigrants that can be hired by government if jobs are bid it out but those don't involve visas those are actual people that are here legally for a long-term basis.

The federal government might sponsor visas for a few things here and there but you're not going to find a top security clearance job for the federal government that allows for H-1B it just doesn't happen. 10% of the jobs in this country are with nonprofits. Governmental adds another layer to that. The Boston area is Awash with nonprofits across the Spectrum. You can talk about unions, religious groups, Academia your name it.

I remember back in the day getting the sum of the Bates back in 1999 about h-1bs. The problem with any Visa system is that a Visa system looks at somebody solely from the purposes of an employee and does not factor in the possibilities that somebody might get married, might have kids, might get arrested, might flee, might buy a house Etc. It might be considered trash TV or reality TV but look at the TV show 90 Day Fiance where looked at the K-1 Visa. That is a visa to allows people to come over but they can't work for 90 days. That makes no sense whatsoever because you're literally condemning people I just sit around for 90 days mean while their significant other is working. It reminds me of a quote of some German politician that basically stated about that's hurts that we wanted workers and they came with families.

I'd hate to say it but a lot of times for an employer perspective you want to deal with the most simplest and easiest thing possible and for the most part that's just being able to buy goods and services in the hire people without dealing with any other bureaucracy. Yes the labor market is tight I'll give you that heck Stop & Shop is going on strike. But not to get political or anything but I wouldn't touch any visas with a ten-foot pole as long as it's guy remains president. We need immigration badly to fill roles but nobody really wants to go through Federal bureaucracy to hire somebody if they don't have to. I'm not saying that the work these people do is of poor quality or that they're uneducated I'm just saying the complete process and the politics of it makes it to the point where it it just isn't worth it anymore.

Old 07-21-2021, 08:17 PM

Update from 2 years later.

WOW have you seen the prices in Framingham ? I called in this post as it was clear as day in the data. Also i think we were at peak urban 2 years ago.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:58 PM

17,774 posts, read 9,221,778 times
Quote:

WOW have you seen the prices in Framingham ? I called in this post as it was clear as day in the data. Also i think we were at peak urban 2 years ago.
With all due respect, panchilly, you could have thrown darts at a map 2 years ago...and you would have been correct on all of them.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:38 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,931,212 times
Quote:

I didn't see this thread years ago, but do you have data saying Framingham did better relative to the market as a whole. Stock pickers judge themselves against the sector and sports bettors judge themselves against the line.

As an aesthetic note for future reference, you should start trimming your precision. I doubt you have twenty significant figures and including all those digits makes your tables unreadable.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I didn't see this thread years ago, but do you have data saying Framingham did better relative to the market as a whole. Stock pickers judge themselves against the sector and sports bettors judge themselves against the line.

As an aesthetic note for future reference, you should start trimming your precision. I doubt you have twenty significant figures and including all those digits makes your tables unreadable.
This is tricky data to obtain, but probably the best data we have is to use the zillow home value index which normalizes for size/quality of house, etc.

Take a look at some towns in the area for YOY gains in the zillow home value index. Somerville up 8% but Acton is up 17%. Framingham up 16+%. Natick is up 11%

Many towns further out beyond 495 are up even more. It's hard to thoroughly analyze this data without writing a web scraper to pull all of MA down then generate a heatmap, but spot checking the data seems to show a clear shift outward in appreciation.

I think it makes sense as the huge influx of full remote and hybrid remote reduces your average commute times substantially which increases the radius that you would consider for a home purchase. 2 or 3 days a week of WFH could shift your radius by 10 miles or more. I suggest that you read up on marchetti's constant and how urban areas have grown as a reaction to transportation technology. Hybrid & full remote is another step function that will widen the urban area. Further out areas are now "in play" due to remote expectations and to be honest, they got a bit too cheap as the last boom was focused mostly in the urban core, also there are demographic headwinds.

Last edited by panchilly; 07-22-2021 at 08:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts