Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 01:23 PM

4,630 posts, read 4,900,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Yes, I'm saying that South Station as currently constituted cannot handle more frequent rail service than what what we currently operate at peak.
OK. I wasn't sure if you were making that point, or if headways are what is the limit today.

I can't find any info on current headways either way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 04:03 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,784,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
The concentration of businesses along the 95/128 belt suggest A) corporate leadership disagrees with your thesis, and B) an overwhelming number of high wage earners in greater Boston have a vehicle.
There are still companies out there, but that number is shrinking.

Quote:
My incredibly small sample size suggests the "no car" Boston crowd consists of: poor people, college students (see also poor people), transplants from high density global cities who begrudgingly persist
True, but these numbers are growing. Poor college graduates and foreigners on work visa.. but that's what employers crave these days.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:49 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
1K a month more...........$33 a day and you don't have to ride the train 2 hours a day/10 hours a week?
As I mentioned in a post earlier just for me to go from neighborhood to neighborhood in Boston took well over an hour each day. So it really doesn’t matter. My assumption is unless you live near Cambridge or very near downtown you’ll likely be commuting over an hour. Especially for a 2k apartment.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:52 PM

927 posts, read 759,730 times
You'd think with all those universities and Harvard and MIT they'd know how to fix the transportation system.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:00 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,700,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
You'd think with all those universities and Harvard and MIT they'd know how to fix the transportation system.
The powers that be know how to fix it, no one wants to spend the money to do it properly.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:55 PM

23,580 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
You get from Downtown Bmore to Downtown DC in 40 minutes without a hitch. Massachusetts is just insane:. They make efforts to create new ways to make things difficult
No kidding. It's like we love to boast about being #1 in everything, until we aren't and it's every excuse under the sun for being stuck in the 1950s.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:42 PM

Sad but it really does take me 70% less time to travel from Baltimore to DC than it does Hyde Park to West Roxbury via public transit. Easily. Y’all enjoy the price you pay for ‘convenience’ I’m at a loss for words when it comes to that argument for justifying MA prices on anything. If you believe its all worth it, then you’ll believe anything.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:12 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,127,911 times
Quote:
Sad but it really does take me 70% less time to travel from Baltimore to DC than it does Hyde Park to West Roxbury via public transit. Easily. Y’all enjoy the price you pay for ‘convenience’ I’m at a loss for words when it comes to that argument for justifying MA prices on anything. If you believe its all worth it, then you’ll believe anything.
You keep bringing up Hyde Park/West Roxbury - wasn't this for school when you were a kid? Nobody is talking about going from one neighborhood to another neighborhood for which there is no direct public transportation connection where most adults are commuting daily for work. Why are you using this to make your case?

We're talking about Providence to Boston so what's the commute like for Hyde Park to downtown Boston? Or West Roxbury to downtown Boston?

Old 08-21-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
1K a month more...........$33 a day and you don't have to ride the train 2 hours a day/10 hours a week?
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
You keep bringing up Hyde Park/West Roxbury - wasn't this for school when you were a kid? Nobody is talking about going from one neighborhood to another neighborhood for which there is no direct public transportation connection where most adults are commuting daily for work. Why are you using this to make your case?

We're talking about Providence to Boston so what's the commute like for Hyde Park to downtown Boston? Or West Roxbury to downtown Boston?
It also took me 80+ minutes to go from Dorchester to the Stone Zoo as an adult.

My point is commutes for people in Boston can be outrageously long over small distances. So what does it matter that Providence if Boston is 80 minutes door to door?

Old 08-21-2019, 08:44 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,127,911 times
Quote:
It also took me 80+ minutes to go from Dorchester to the Stone Zoo as an adult.

My point is commutes for people in Boston can be outrageously long over small distances. So what does it matter that Providence if Boston is 80 minutes door to door?
Now you're just trolling me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts