Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 09:22 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
It's not just $1k/month in rental savings...it costs additional $300/month for a monthly commuter rail pass compared to the subway pass. For someone that commutes daily and loses two hours a day coming from Providence that translates to <$20/hour. Everybody's time is more valuable than that.
All true, but this assumes that the person on the train can't incorporate some productivity into that commute. I know a few people in my office on the edges of the commuter rail network who are able to spend less time in the office as they can check/respond to email and do work from the train (which you can't do while driving). So for people in that boat, it works and they're not losing time.

I think the other thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the people who would be looking at Rhode Island are also factoring in the cost of driving. Even assuming that they'll own a car anyway (so eliminating car payments, insurance, registration fees, excise taxes, etc.), the cost to drive when you account for fuel, maintenance/wear and tear, and parking will easily come close to or exceed (especially if parking isn't free) the cost of a commuter rail pass. And there's no option for productive time if you're driving.

The reality is that even driving from communities that ring 128 to downtown can take an hour or more at peak times as well, and traffic continues getting worse. We talk about how trains are unreliable, are the highways around Boston at rush hour any better? I saw a bus broken down in an HOV lane last week. I used to see accidents every day. All of these things cause significant delays to already choked traffic. So it makes a lot of sense that people are looking for ways to spend less on housing, limit dependency on a car (and the required time in traffic), and still have access to some of the amenities that make Boston so attractive for many. There's nowhere else in New England that comes as close as Providence does. The thought of getting much more bang for my buck and still having a fairly easy commute from PVD to BOS on the train has crossed my mind more than once. It makes sense that people are pulling the trigger. The concept of living in PVD and commuting to BOS is not new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 09:48 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowstatus View Post
Did you even read your linked article?
*edit* that article is super confusing. Quotes one set of numbers in the first paragraph, then a completely different set in the 3rd paragraph.

"""
Apartments at the future The Commons at Prospect Hill at the site of an old Sunoco at 434 McGrath Highway in Somerville start at $2,100 a month for one-bedrooms and $3,400 a month for two-bedrooms.
"""

Meh, still a lot cheaper than the Bay Area. I'll stay with Boston, where the real estate prices are cheaper.
https://www.zillow.com/b/the-marc,-p...lto-ca-5XjLN5/
Yes, I read it. You're quoting the lowest prices and i'm quoting he highest. My point is they are selling 2br apartments for 6k a month in Somerville. I am correct in saying that.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:04 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
All true, but this assumes that the person on the train can't incorporate some productivity into that commute. I know a few people in my office on the edges of the commuter rail network who are able to spend less time in the office as they can check/respond to email and do work from the train (which you can't do while driving). So for people in that boat, it works and they're not losing time.

I think the other thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the people who would be looking at Rhode Island are also factoring in the cost of driving. Even assuming that they'll own a car anyway (so eliminating car payments, insurance, registration fees, excise taxes, etc.), the cost to drive when you account for fuel, maintenance/wear and tear, and parking will easily come close to or exceed (especially if parking isn't free) the cost of a commuter rail pass. And there's no option for productive time if you're driving.

The reality is that even driving from communities that ring 128 to downtown can take an hour or more at peak times as well, and traffic continues getting worse. We talk about how trains are unreliable, are the highways around Boston at rush hour any better? I saw a bus broken down in an HOV lane last week. I used to see accidents every day. All of these things cause significant delays to already choked traffic. So it makes a lot of sense that people are looking for ways to spend less on housing, limit dependency on a car (and the required time in traffic), and still have access to some of the amenities that make Boston so attractive for many. There's nowhere else in New England that comes as close as Providence does. The thought of getting much more bang for my buck and still having a fairly easy commute from PVD to BOS on the train has crossed my mind more than once. It makes sense that people are pulling the trigger. The concept of living in PVD and commuting to BOS is not new.
I agree, driving into BOS is horrible. It also crossed my mind to move to RI, even try to transfer to our PVD office, but I decided to stay. My counterpart in PVD ended up getting laid off due to consolidation and it was tough for him to get another job. Sample size of one, but I'm glad I decided to stay even if it is more expensive.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:32 AM

3,219 posts, read 2,121,919 times
Quote:
I agree, driving into BOS is horrible. It also crossed my mind to move to RI, even try to transfer to our PVD office, but I decided to stay. My counterpart in PVD ended up getting laid off due to consolidation and it was tough for him to get another job. Sample size of one, but I'm glad I decided to stay even if it is more expensive.
this is one of the biggest reasons it is more expensive. I love PVD. I really do. but it scares me how little work is there.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:06 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
At the 58 cents per mile the IRS uses, it doesn’t take much of a car commute to cover a $388/month zone 8 Charlie Pass. That’s comparable to the IRS rate for a 17 mile each way daily commute. My car is more like 80 cents per mile counting everything.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:23 AM

Yes, my earlier analysis was comparing living in Boston and using the subway (no car) to living in Providence and using the commuter rail (no car).

Old 08-16-2019, 11:44 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Yes, my earlier analysis was comparing living in Boston and using the subway (no car) to living in Providence and using the commuter rail (no car).
Yes, but....

With apples vs apples housing price, it’s unlikely you would find Boston housing at anywhere near Providence prices unless it’s Mattapan or similar.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yes, but....

With apples vs apples housing price, it’s unlikely you would find Boston housing at anywhere near Providence prices unless it’s Mattapan or similar.
Right, I wasn't just comparing commuting costs but the $1k/month difference in rent that was quoted earlier in the thread.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:18 PM

3,219 posts, read 2,121,919 times
Also, keep in mind that the PVD property taxes are almost, if not triple Boston with the residential tax exemption.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:26 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
I love what they did to downtown Providence...don't love the hundreds of "characters" that assemble there every day & hang out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts