Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2020, 10:19 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicdoug View Post
As far as houses, how can one not have a garage in New England? Aside from having to scrape the ice off your car, where do you keep bikes, kayaks and other gear without a garage??

Porch, basement, shed in back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 10:39 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
But what specifically do we have here than doesn't exist elsewhere?
There is good healthcare in lots of major cities/metro areas. Other states have good public schools. If you are financial sector, Charlotte NC is much more livable than Boston.
Pretty sure BofA (one of them anyway) toyed with the idea of moving from Charlotte to here, presumably because of all of the cheap college graduates here and it'd be much easier to house foreign labor with the mass transit.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:42 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
economy is pretty dependent upon well educated well adjusted individuals who've had high opportunity as children and thus have good life chances. But no you're not wrong in your last comment here.
But well educated, well adjusted people are importing themselves for jobs in the area. You don't have to grow your own, although of course there should be schools and services and other civilized society amenities for those who are here.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Porch, basement, shed in back.
I lived my whole working life in the Boston area with no garage. Had covered parking for one year in Arlington. Now I'm in Mountain Colorado with no cover or garage. I made it this far with no garage. I don't get the demand for garages or multiple bays. Seems no one puts their vehicle in anyway.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
But what specifically do we have here than doesn't exist elsewhere?
There is good healthcare in lots of major cities/metro areas. Other states have good public schools. If you are financial sector, Charlotte NC is much more livable than Boston.
I guess the history, Paul Revere, the amazing educational institutions. I guess.

For me, it was the constant swirl of very smart people all around, from all over the world.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:57 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I lived my whole working life in the Boston area with no garage. Had covered parking for one year in Arlington. Now I'm in Mountain Colorado with no cover or garage. I made it this far with no garage. I don't get the demand for garages or multiple bays. Seems no one puts their vehicle in anyway.

I have a garage for the first time in my life with my condo. Never had one in Mass, VT, or WI.
Survived just fine, but I admit, it is kind of nice. Indulgent really, but I feel the same way for in unit washer and dryer. I never had that in my adult life either.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:00 AM

12,168 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I guess the history, Paul Revere, the amazing educational institutions. I guess.

For me, it was the constant swirl of very smart people all around, from all over the world.
History, proximity to Mountians and world class beaches in 2 hours, great shoreline towns, etc

Old 01-22-2020, 11:14 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
every place has a history. So let's just scratch that one off the list. Lots of cheaper places have deeper histories as well (Philly, Santa Fe just to start).

Anyways you cant eat history. Cant pay bills with history.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
every place has a history. So let's just scratch that one off the list. Lots of cheaper places have deeper histories as well (Philly, Santa Fe just to start).

Anyways you cant eat history. Cant pay bills with history.
Which is why people with kids might well never show up in the area or would leave. There sure are easier places to get a suburban life with garage and yard, etc. (Heh- I grew up near Philly and spent one year in Santa Fe. Guess you can't take that out of the girl!)

Old 01-22-2020, 01:50 PM

12,168 posts, read 8,014,676 times
One thing Boston has is high paying jobs in my field. The pay cuts in half in NYC, Philly and the South... soo im kind of lucky there.

Things I couldnt get in New York, Florida, New York City:
Mass is#1 in Education, #2 in Healthcare, Boston is #3 in Public Transportation, Cape Cod Beaches appear on the top 10 best in the country, you get four seasons and if you like snow its a good state to live in, the suburbs are some of the best I ever have seen, the coastal towns offer an insane amount of things to do, the North End is one of the few surviving Little Italy's, the Sports culture is insanely good/everywhere else I live is divided, and most importantly the people... the people are great and get together more so than any place Ive ever lived. If you have the money (which alot of people do) you can enjoy most areas of Boston, which is amazing to watch the fast rise in developments...

And a relaly big thing is Public Transportation. You guys will demeanor this so much but how many cities actually have a subway system that travels north, south and west of the city into the suburbs and a commuter system? Like 5? Maybe 6? ... Dont take it for granted. Ive never missed a day / been late from the MBTA, its had its problems and people like to complain.. but theres an alternative... we can have either 55 year old cars with no signs of replacement where they cancel (Not even delay, just cancel) like New York City or we can have no usable rail service at all like Raleigh or Houston or Orlando.

I understand MA has its issues like every other state, but when you go to other state's forums like Louisiana or New Jersey who are substantially below MA... they are more positive than not. If you dont like Mass then leave, because there is a friggen line out the door to get in and someone who rather enjoy Mass can take your place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts