Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2021, 09:38 AM

4,668 posts, read 4,980,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Agreed. I'm mostly lurking now because it seems that this discussion sometimes falls into a hysterical shouting match rather than an intelligent discussion.

Probably not, but you might not need that 2nd shot to get the same response that you would with the initial 2-shot series. Couldn't tell you if that's an accurate statement, as i'm not a virologist.

I think the covid shot will develop into something like the annual flu shot. The main difference however is that Flu here has a defined season while the Covid season is just starting to be defined. Right now, the timing is every 6 mos, but maybe that will change in the future if Covid becomes a fall/winter virus. WHy tell people to rush out and get a booster in July if the effects are wearing off by the time "covid season" starts up? If covid becomes endemic, it will likely be urged for those who are deemed more high-risk, than for everyone.

I guess the main question is, when July rolls around and cases (hopefully) drop to 100/day or less, should you get your booster, or wait until Nov/Dec right when "covid season" hits again. I can tell you i won't be rushing out to get mine next summer. I'd probably feel more inclined to wait until fall/winter.
I and many others were saying that the shots would wear off and everyone getting vaccinated this past April was doing the equivalent of taking the flu shot at the end of flu season, at least in the Northeast and Midwest. This is not a victory lap, so I'll leave it at that. Perhaps the silver lining in this mess is it will get us on a more sensible schedule, with people who want the Covid shots taking them in the mid-to-late fall in the Northeast and Midwest so they're actually protected during the times of the year where transmission has proved to be higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2021, 09:47 AM

3,222 posts, read 2,124,379 times
Default COVID-19 vaccine requirement for indoor venues in Boston

Starting Jan 15 folks.

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavi...?p1=hp_primary

Old 12-20-2021, 10:21 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Same as most cities I've visited over the past 3-4 months.

Old 12-20-2021, 11:38 AM

337 posts, read 268,680 times
Default Mayor Michelle Wu announces COVID-19 vaccine requirement for certain indoor venues in Boston

Link to the article describing the policy here.
Quote:
The requirement will apply to indoor dining at restaurants, including bars and nightclubs; indoor fitness centers; and indoor recreational spaces, like theaters, concert venues, and sports arenas.

Old 12-20-2021, 01:16 PM

12,871 posts, read 22,035,348 times
One of the better local breakdowns of vaccine effectiveness I've seen yet: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/12/...officials-say/

In a nutshell:
  • 97 percent of Massachusetts residents who’ve contracted COVID-19 after getting vaccinated have avoided severe health outcomes such as hospitalization or death
  • Unvaccinated residents are five times more likely to get infected than fully vaccinated residents
  • Unvaccinated residents are 31 times more likely to become infected than fully vaccinated residents who’ve received a booster
  • 99.9 percent of breakthrough cases among fully vaccinated people under age 60 did not result in death
  • Among breakthrough cases for residents over 60, 97 percent did not result in death
  • No deaths have been reported in breakthrough cases among those under age 30

Old 12-20-2021, 01:28 PM

6,137 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
One of the better local breakdowns of vaccine effectiveness I've seen yet: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/12/...officials-say/

In a nutshell:
  • 97 percent of Massachusetts residents who’ve contracted COVID-19 after getting vaccinated have avoided severe health outcomes such as hospitalization or death
  • Unvaccinated residents are five times more likely to get infected than fully vaccinated residents
  • Unvaccinated residents are 31 times more likely to become infected than fully vaccinated residents who’ve received a booster
  • 99.9 percent of breakthrough cases among fully vaccinated people under age 60 did not result in death
  • Among breakthrough cases for residents over 60, 97 percent did not result in death
  • No deaths have been reported in breakthrough cases among those under age 30
I subscribe to the Globe so I saw this article, but did not go through it carefully, so this summary is very good (and reassuring!).

Old 12-20-2021, 01:44 PM

12,871 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I subscribe to the Globe so I saw this article, but did not go through it carefully, so this summary is very good (and reassuring!).
It's definitely reassuring. I feel this one in particular speaks volumes: Unvaccinated residents are 31 times more likely to become infected than fully vaccinated residents who’ve received a booster

Old 12-20-2021, 02:21 PM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
I’m able to taste again phew.

Old 12-20-2021, 02:23 PM

12,447 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I’m able to taste again phew.
Awesome! All kidding about the "benefits" of losing the joy of tasting food aside, I wouldn't have been at all comfortable were I in your shoes... glad it's back!

Old 12-20-2021, 02:26 PM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Thanks. I know it could have been worse but it was annoying. I just got it back today. I had cravings for certain foods but knew eating them would be pointless. At the moment I have no cravings and am still deciding what I want to eat. So bizarre
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts