Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2020, 12:19 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
If the country were to reopen 100% on June 1st (just to throw a date out there), how many people would instantly return to the pre-pandemic lifestyle right away? My thought it that some form of social distancing will exist from now on throughout the duration of the pandemic. Do I don't see more extensive food delivery services and other remote options disappearing in the near-term.
I would return to my pre-pandemic ways BUT I don't like and have never liked people invading my personal space so I have always practiced some things that are considered social distancing. I have always tried to maintain 3 to 4 feet distance from people I do not know. I have always backed off when unknown people get too close and I have always done everything possible to stay out of crowded scenarios as a matter of principle. Except for the shopping restrictions official social distancing has not impacted me much at all from a behavioral perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 12:20 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
There are far more people in high risk categories (be it age or whatever else) working essential jobs and who are a critical part of the economy (and in some cases for tackling this pandemic in itself), than many seem to realize. Last thing in the world I want is to infect my 62-year-old co-worker (or my 56-year-old co-worker with early onset COPD), with this virus that I may have picked up in a barbershop because me looking pretty is just so damn important. Or flip that around, infect my barber who goes home and gives it to his wife who happens to work in the nursing home. I try to space out and minimize my grocery trips, but bottom line we all need to eat at some point and delivery isn't available to all of us. But at least there, social distancing is possible. At my local grocery store, they sanitize the carts after each use and the limit the crowds. There is a plexiglass guard in front of all the registers separating you from the cashier, so risk is pretty minimal there. It's nothing like going to the barber. Every factor needs to be considered, which is why we need to listen to those in command with the greatest knowledge, and not the internet trolls.
People wanting to go to the barber is not about vanity. There are other buisnesses people miss. It's about feeling a sense of normalcy. I dont know about you but this does not feel normal. I would never judge a person for wanting to get back to the normal ways of living even though at this time we might not be able to.

There was a bad time in history and I forget if it was war world 2 or not but they polled women and the very thing the women wanted the most was their makeup. This was not vanity it gave them a sense of things are normal even when they are not. Right now people who love sports are missing them . The Whole country pretty much shut down . In a sports show i listen to people said they would love to be able to see any game of any kind because at least for that moment it would give them a sense of escape from all of this. Now it might be too dangerous to do that but dont put blame on others for wanting that feeling of normal.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:33 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
People wanting to go to the barber is not about vanity. There are other buisnesses people miss. It's about feeling a sense of normalcy. I dont know about you but this does not feel normal. I would never judge a person for wanting to get back to the normal ways of living even though at this time we might not be able to.

There was a bad time in history and I forget if it was war world 2 or not but they polled women and the very thing the women wanted the most was their makeup. This was not vanity it gave them a sense of things are normal even when they are not. Right now people who love sports are missing them . The Whole country pretty much shut down . In a sports show i listen to people said they would love to be able to see any game of any kind because at least for that moment it would give them a sense of escape from all of this. Now it might be too dangerous to do that but dont put blame on others for wanting that feeling of normal.
But things aren't "normal" right now, why should people have some sort of entitlement to "feel" normal? To be honest, I am going out of my mind right now and would love just as much as you to be able to do the things you speak of. But it is what it is, nothing you or I can do to fix it. I would rather "suffer", hunker down now and get it over with sooner; than get a "few" of those freedoms back right now but have to endure semi restrictions for a LOT longer. Sports/concerts, etc. will be one of the last things to come back.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:49 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
There are different explanations for a later peak, one being flat lining (good) and another being lack of containment (bad). The increase in projected deaths, does not bode well though.
I went through the entire model, and of the 50 states, NY state is projected to be the worst hit with 13k casualties, and MA is #2 with almost 7K projected casualties.

#3 is new jersey with #4 CT right behind with around 3000-3750 casualties.

All other states seem to be in the 1K or less range.

So why is MA projected to be the 2nd worst hit state, behind NY? Why doesn't it feel as urgent here?

Old 04-13-2020, 12:54 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I went through the entire model, and of the 50 states, NY state is projected to be the worst hit with 13k casualties, and MA is #2 with almost 7K projected casualties.

#3 is new jersey with #4 CT right behind with around 3000-3750 casualties.

All other states seem to be in the 1K or less range.

So why is MA projected to be the 2nd worst hit state, behind NY? Why doesn't it feel as urgent here?
Interesting. Do you have per capita numbers as well? I recall an article about Boston being #1 on Pence's radar this past week but not sure who ran it and I can't seem to find it now.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:56 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Default Re

Quote:
But things aren't "normal" right now, why should people have some sort of entitlement to "feel" normal? To be honest, I am going out of my mind right now and would love just as much as you to be able to do the things you speak of. But it is what it is, nothing you or I can do to fix it. I would rather "suffer", hunker down now and get it over with sooner; than get a "few" of those freedoms back right now but have to endure semi restrictions for a LOT longer. Sports/concerts, etc. will be one of the last things to come back.
I was thinking the same exact thing. This poster seems pretty selfish in just wanting everyone to act normal and open things up. It isn’t normal at all right now. I feel bad for people who can’t work right now, maybe this poster is losing money because of all that’s happening but you can’t expect people to just act normal and open things up.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:59 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
What's everyone doing for fresh air?

Early on in this process, the Somerville Community Path, which is right around the corner from me, was obnoxiously crowded. More so than rush hour on a work day in the summer. So I avoided it entirely (along with most parks), opting in favor of walking the side streets in neighborhoods nearby which were basically devoid of pedestrians and cars. The city realized that the Path was too crowded and posted signs urging distancing and publishing suggested walking routes online. People seem to have finally received the message and/or learned that the side streets are basically wide open for walking.

It's actually pretty enjoyable on nice days (not today). I'm seeing more of the city and nearby cities than I would have otherwise. Yesterday we walked by the old Powderhouse, and up through the Tufts campus which has great city/skyline views, and over to Alewife Brook which was pretty and generally devoid of people. on Saturday we walked through side streets down to the Harvard campus (also devoid of people) and zig-zagged our way back home through some pocket parks and side streets. It's easy to social distance (stepping out into the street to give other pedestrians wide berth), and it's great exercise. Plus I'm getting to see places I'd never see otherwise. It's probably the one think keeping both of us sane. So what's everyone else doing?
We live in neighborhood that has two connections to a busy road but is otherwise self-contained. We can walk around the loop and then back. No sidewalk on the busy road, but it's a good walk my kids can do without too much whining. Fewer neighbors than I'd expect, but the road itself isn't busy so when we pass someone one group can just get in the road. Haven't come closer than about 20 feet to another person. My poor daughter really wants to pet everyone's dog, though.

We also built a playground in the backyard for the kids. When the weather is nice (like it was yesterday) we can walk around our neighborhood and play in the backyard. We even bought more playground equipment to keep the kids healthy and entertained. Days like this recess is GoNoodle videos on the TV.

Normally I would like to go somewhere with a bit more nature, but I've decided against going anywhere else for now. Don't want to go somewhere social distancing isn't possible and don't want to take the kids somewhere only to decide it is too crowded. We still get plenty of wildlife in our suburban neighborhood, maybe more than usual. We've had a family of deer, a mother fox and her four kits, a rafter of turkeys (who ate some of the wildflower seed I just put down), red-bellied wood peckers, downy woodpeckers, cardinal, blue jays, black-capped chickadees (state bird!), goldfinches, nuthatches, house finches, sparrows, grackles (I hate grackles), our neighborhood has a red-tailed hawk and I've seen at least one Cooper's hawk.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:04 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Normally I would like to go somewhere with a bit more nature, but I've decided against going anywhere else for now. Don't want to go somewhere social distancing isn't possible and don't want to take the kids somewhere only to decide it is too crowded. We still get plenty of wildlife in our suburban neighborhood, maybe more than usual. We've had a family of deer, a mother fox and her four kits, a rafter of turkeys (who ate some of the wildflower seed I just put down), red-bellied wood peckers, downy woodpeckers, cardinal, blue jays, black-capped chickadees (state bird!), goldfinches, nuthatches, house finches, sparrows, grackles (I hate grackles), our neighborhood has a red-tailed hawk and I've seen at least one Cooper's hawk.
You really know your birds. Why the dislike for grackles?

Old 04-13-2020, 01:23 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I was thinking the same exact thing. This poster seems pretty selfish in just wanting everyone to act normal and open things up. It isn’t normal at all right now. I feel bad for people who can’t work right now, maybe this poster is losing money because of all that’s happening but you can’t expect people to just act normal and open things up.

It's over your head but thats ok some get it.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:30 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
It's over your head but thats ok some get it.
Nope it’s not. Things are not going back to the way they were before for a long time. Get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts