Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 06:00 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
As I said nearly a thousand posts ago:

"There's a reason why schools were the first to close."
A bad reason is a reason, I suppose.

Just to add on, for whatever it's worth, I sell distance learning products to schools in Europe. We ran an offer for free accounts for 12 months and initially got quite a bit of interest in March and early April. Following up with unresponsive leads, it seems most of them have lost interest due to the reopening of schools across most of Europe, which started at the beginning of the month and continues now. What about the European experts who have encouraged this? Why is one American public health official the only person to take cues from in a global pandemic? There are treasure troves of data from countries all over the world and lots of examples of potential reactions.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 05-13-2020 at 06:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 06:34 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
And what, people just didn't notice a bunch of kids dropping dead in all the other panic?

Here is the alert from NYS:

I'm not saying not to be concerned, but the main takeaway is that children presenting symptoms need immediate medical care. The risk needs to be balanced against the negative effects of keeping kids out of school. I think the risk of increased transmission is almost certainly greater than the risk of PMIS.

I believe I read that PMIS generally occurs approximately 30 days after contracting the virus. If that's accurate then at this point it's probably too early to know how common it is.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:35 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

Why is one American public health official the only person to take cues from in a global pandemic? There are treasure troves of data from countries all over the world and lots of examples of potential reactions.
Politicians have term limits but not mr fauxci. Politicans can be corrupted and so can mr fauxci.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:39 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
As I said nearly a thousand posts ago:

"There's a reason why schools were the first to close."
Quote:

I don't understand how it could be viewed as a bad reason. It's crystal clear what happens in community settings.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I don't understand how it could be viewed as a bad reason. It's crystal clear what happens in community settings.
"Community" settings, or school settings?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-homes-us.html

You would have a point if 1/3 of all deaths were from schools. But it's actually nursing homes.

What is your opinion on the entire continent of Europe?

Old 05-13-2020, 06:46 AM

448 posts, read 282,255 times
Default Spelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Politicians have term limits but not mr fauxci. Politicans can be corrupted and so can mr fauxci.
Just an FYI - Im sure its not just me, though I may not know how to spell his name, but you lose a lot of credibility spelling his name incorrectly that way.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
Just an FYI - Im sure its not just me, though I may not know how to spell his name, but you lose a lot of credibility spelling his name incorrectly that way.
The "x" and "c" are right next to each other on the keyboard, so possibly a typo (but two typos?). But if not, I agree, the puns don't serve the interests of seriously and earnestly questioning the decision making of the people in charge. It only makes it easier to disregard.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:50 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
I pointed out the atrocious spelling in a previous post...it's not just with the name Fauci.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:57 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Ive seen that there are 4 kids at Boston children’s being hospitalized with these covid related illnesses. Concerning but not quite alarming for the moment I guess.
That's what everyone was saying in January, too.

Quote:
Can we say how many are in for influenza? The fatality rate for children with influenza is many many times higher (though both are incredibly low).
Why are you comparing this to the flu? I thought we had moved on from that mindset. You've been midwesternified already.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:59 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
That's what everyone was saying in January, too.

Why are you comparing this to the flu? I thought we had moved on from that mindset. You've been midwesternified already.
You are so right about this. There are 2 of my FB friends, and my own brother, who I can see are consistently downplaying the threat as witnessed by their reactions to my posts. Commonality? They all live in the Midwest (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois). Coincidence? I think not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts