Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 07:03 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,433 times

Advertisements

My aunts parents are in their 80s and are borderline dementia or Alzheimer’s. They have no idea what is going on and my aunt can’t see them. She thought about moving them in with her but feels it’s too late now. They’re not in a nursing home but more of an assisted living townhouse type deal. No one can enter the place.

I don’t see why they would suddenly allow people to enter. Even if numbers went down dramatically it would take one person to spread it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 07:04 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post

I’m not saying we need to be on lockdown until there’s a vaccine but if we aren’t then people are going to continue to get sick from this. People are still getting sick even with the state having barely any activity for 8 weeks.
There is no way to prevent all deaths or most infections. There is no good answer. The whole situation genuinely is unprecedented. You're right.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:16 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
There is no way to prevent all deaths or most infections. There is no good answer. The whole situation genuinely is unprecedented. You're right.
I actually don't think 8 weeks of inactivity is very good for people's health in general, come to think of it.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:02 PM

154 posts, read 256,878 times
Baker certainly was coy today. Wait until Monday to see which businesses can compete to survive! What a cliffhanger.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:22 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I actually don't think 8 weeks of inactivity is very good for people's health in general, come to think of it.
People didn't/don't have to be "inactive." And it's not that big a deal health wise. Most people are quite inactive in regular times.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:27 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,433 times
Default Re

Quote:
Well most people haven’t been completely inactive. If anything more people seem to be out hiking and walking than ever before. But I agree that society could get weird if this carries on. I am really nervous for my kids and myself that school will be closed in the fall. I feel bad for them. It’s one thing to have school closed since March and go through the summer...but to go through January? No school and I’m assuming no other activities or get togethers. Well this isn’t really the kind of childhood id hoped to give to them. I can and will keep them safe and try to keep things exciting...doesn’t take much to keep a 4 and 6 yr old exciting but it’s draining on me. I guess I’ll think of others who are doing more and have done more. I still am hopeful school opens but many colleges are going to be remote. I’m worried schools might follow.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
People didn't/don't have to be "inactive." And it's not that big a deal health wise. Most people are quite inactive in regular times.
The average person's lifestyle is quite unhealthy, agreed.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:56 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:

What people did in the last 8 weeks in terms of their activity levels is strictly on them. If they want to sit around and watch Netflix all day eating junkfood, then they are the only person to blame and the situation at hand.

I've used the opportunity to drop 15 pounds in the 8 weeks. While I wasn't overweight by any means, it took this particular situation to motivate me further

Last edited by BostonMike7; 05-14-2020 at 06:06 AM..

Old 05-14-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
What people did in the last 8 weeks in terms of their activity levels is strictly on them. If they want to sit around and watch Netflix all day eating junkfood, then they are the only person to blame and the situation at hand.

I've used the opportunity to drop 15 pounds in the 8 weeks. While I wasn't overweight by any means, it took this particular situation to motivate me further
Yeah but the point is that it destroyed routines, which is essential for a healthy life. I'm glad you worked out, but a lot of people, in a haze of unemployment and no social life, started drinking and doing drugs. I am not comfortable "blaming" these people by any means. Wealthier folks have an easier time. Not picking on you, but the fact is, most of the country I'm guessing does not have anywhere near the resources you have that shelter you from this (and me too).

Old 05-14-2020, 06:34 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I’m starting to wonder what difference do the ages of the people dying matter at this point. Everyone in MA had been quarantined for 8 weeks. If we open the state and people stop social distancing don’t you think the numbers will go up again for all sorts of ages? I find it difficult to really trust these numbers given that life has not been normal for 2 months.

Yup. It will go up.

What it really comes down to in terms of opening up is death of a certain age segment of the population, or widespread financial devastation to families/individuals/businesses.

I can see the argument for both sides. On one hand, we have life. All life is precious and must be preserved. There are certain situations where the sacrifice of life for the greater good is noble, and perhaps even necessary. Is this one of those times? That's the debate.

The problem is people don't see direct correlation to their actions. For the most part, people are free of blame. An infected Person A who is asymptomatic can innocently cough onto their hand and grab a gas pump handle, pump gas and leave. The next Person B can pull up, grab that handle, then rub their nose/mouth ect and infect themselves, and bring it home to their multigenerational household where 4 weeks later their 80-something elderly parents with Alzheimer's succumb to the illness. Person A in the meantime has no idea, is untraceable, and ultimately free of blame for the deaths of those individuals.

Person A could also be on the verge of losing their home, business and destroying their family with two young kids by being on the verge of homelessness. They were at the gas pump that day because they were on their way to open up their business which has been shuttered since march so they can save their lifestyle and ultimately give those 2 kids a better life.

So which is more important?

That example is a bit dramatic, but I have seen some selfish posts on other forums in the last few weeks. Some posters are very removed from the situation and I do see how someone who lives in a county with 3 total cases can be frustrated that they are forced to remain closed. Meanwhile I think I saw a post about someone who was angry because he would have to sell his boat to cover his mortgage. Little bit more selfish example there.

SO it goes back to the debate on which is more important. And the answer to that is all relative. For the most part, people are blameless when it comes to the consequences of their actions. They only see the immediate effect. They only care about themselves, their family, and maintaining their lifestyle. They see what's in front of them. They don't care about someone's grandparents 3 states away.

Would you give up your home and ruin your family's life to possibly save someone and never know it? Think about that question to yourself and answer it genuinely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts