Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2021, 08:39 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
I have relatives in eight different states, and these relatives are in the older/comorbidity zone. None have been vaccinated and don't know when they will be. What news are you getting?
We're talking relative of course. MA is in the lower half of vaccinated %. Even NY now is ahead since NYC started vaccinating 65+.

If there's states that are actually running low, that's good. It means they are getting shots in arms. That's how it should be. Just got to break the bureaucracy and get them more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 08:44 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
We're talking relative of course. MA is in the lower half of vaccinated %. Even NY now is ahead since NYC started vaccinating 65+.
I think NYC is ahead of most places. I have relatives in up state NY, over 90(!) and with cancer...no vaccine promised yet. Same (ages and comorbidities vary) for IL, WI, FL, GA, IN, CA, and here. But none are in healthcare.

Old 01-22-2021, 08:46 AM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
I have relatives in eight different states, and these relatives are in the older/comorbidity zone. None have been vaccinated and don't know when they will be. What news are you getting?
Data here
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ibution-doses/

Old 01-22-2021, 08:49 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
I think NYC is ahead of most places. I have relatives in up state NY, over 90(!) and with cancer...no vaccine promised yet. Same (ages and comorbidities vary) for IL, WI, FL, GA, IN, CA, and here. But none are in healthcare.
Should be able to sign up in Florida. Florida for awhile wasn't even checking residency so there might have been a bit of vaccine tourism, heh.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:19 AM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Full transition ? Interesting. Seems most in my sphere are being told ‘hybrid’ from here on out, largely because productivity has remained high with limited office usage and less than ideal childcare. It also means they can expand the job market as far as RI or even VT if employees only need to come in the office intermittently.
That's likely where we're heading too, but it hasn't been set in stone. "Full transition" is the language we've been using out of habit rather than what's likely to actually happen.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:02 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
A bit of positive new in this latest fall surge...

Cases seem to be dropping, deaths dropping, active cases dropping, hospitalizations seem to have flattened out.

Vaccine starting to get out, spring is 2-3 months away (and hopefully dropping cases as people get out). Hopefully this is the beginning of the end

Attached Thumbnails
Coronavirus in Massachusetts-cases.jpg  

Old 01-22-2021, 11:13 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
We're also looking at the option for hybrid schedules (I'd be all for that), or at least the ability to WFH occasionally as an alternative to using PTO (I'd be all for that too). If things look good over the next few months, we'll start offering staff the option to come into the office again in June/July, but September is still our target for a full transition back to the office.

Our transition to a permanent hybrid/WFH stems from the need of office space. All 3 of our MA facilities are at capacity, in terms of office and lab space. We've just grown in the last few years and have been hiring (even last year) and we are at the point where we either need to rent office space, or buy a bigger building and move. The prospect of converting existing office space to lab is very appealing.

We've had some prelim talks. I'd say about 50-75% of our employees are WFH right now, with only manufacturing and engineering going into the office (I'm the latter). Those cubes have been empty for almost a year and take up a LOT of space. We've outgrown our current lab, and looking for alternatives.

Right now one proposal is to build a sort of "reserve able cube" area where those who are WFH or Hybrid and don't need a permanent cube can reserve one on a day that they need to come in, for customer visits or critical meetings that need to be done in office. Still working through the details though as to the number of people who would be WFH/Hybrid and the number of flex cubes needed to support a rotating population coming in but we are discussing possibly eliminating 100-200 cube spaces (per building) and replacing that all with lab space, and making a 25 cube reserve farm.

All very prelim, but upper management and the CEO are on board with moving towards a permanent WFH/Hybrid policy. I have a number of coworkers I have not seen in almost a year, but we've been able to work effectively and the company has invested in remote tech to make our tasks easier.

I've been in office 2-3 days/week. I would love for this to continue. It's a great balance for me.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:26 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
I'm now living in CT, just south of my dear old WMASS and in CT the over 75s are getting vaccinated! Around Hartford they've been getting their first vaccination for a few weeks and I know someone around age 80 who is getting hers today.

CT followed the CDC guidelines and is not messing around with prioritizing smokers or much of anything else. The only people who can sign up right now are the over age 75 people. Pretty soon it's going to go to age 65-74. Of course they did the nursing homes first but are still working on the assisted living people. Whatever the CDC recommended for essential workers, they've more or less done that too. Maybe it's because they simply stuck with the original guidelines?

Down in New Haven by Yale, there seems to be a shortage of the vaccine. The state is trying not to make any promises or sign people up until they are positive there will be enough vaccine for shots 1 and 2. They don't want what happened in NY (cancelling thousands of appointments due to lack of vaccine) to happen here.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:30 AM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
A bit of positive new in this latest fall surge...

Cases seem to be dropping, deaths dropping, active cases dropping, hospitalizations seem to have flattened out.

Vaccine starting to get out, spring is 2-3 months away (and hopefully dropping cases as people get out). Hopefully this is the beginning of the end
While we're far from out of the woods yet, agreed that Massachusetts is at least trending positive along several axes. Hope we/they can keep it all going in this positive direction!

Old 01-22-2021, 11:55 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
My father is 88 and just got vaccinated in PA. The vaccine was only available to him at the VA, however. His local doctors and medical facility had no vaccines to distribute at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts