Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 12:59 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times

Advertisements

There’s no way that SPED students will be getting what they need now. I feel bad for parents and kids In this situation. It’s really the parents that are handling so much now. Somethings gonna have to give. I can’t imagine schools being closed through the the fall

How is this working out for kids applying to college? I had to go on face to face interviews. I guess it all will be done on zoom now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 01:00 PM

Also what about the sat? All online with no proctor? Ha. I guess there is online proctoring now though. Verificient and software secure have been doing this a while.

Old 03-21-2020, 01:06 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
The other issue is that virtually everyone in affluent towns has broadband and every child has access to a PC. You can do remote classrooms. In low income school districts, it's not like that. Broadband isn't as universal. People don't have PCs at home.

I also think that most white collar professional parents will be home schooling their children.

Old 03-21-2020, 01:28 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The other issue is that virtually everyone in affluent towns has broadband and every child has access to a PC. You can do remote classrooms. In low income school districts, it's not like that. Broadband isn't as universal. People don't have PCs at home.

I also think that most white collar professional parents will be home schooling their children.
This is nearly impossible for the parents who have jobs where they themselves are still working from home. (Or if they themselves still need to go into work, like if they are a healthcare professional.)

Old 03-21-2020, 01:37 PM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
So everyone will be working from home for 18 months you think ?
Can never say never, but I doubt that... I *think* the mitigation restrictions, which are still coming down at this point, are meant as a short-term strategy for a few weeks, and then they'll re-assess... judging by the comments that have been coming from Anthony Fauci. The goal that has been communicated is to "flatten the curve", and he has said a few weeks more than once.

Now, I am not saying all restrictions will be lifted then, just that they'll take another look at what the best tactics are, after some feedback from the system. I think that everyone, including the health officials, is acutely aware of the impacts this is having on people, as well as the economy..

Old 03-21-2020, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,188 times
The fact that the US is split into 50 states with a far amount of independence might really cause problems.

NY goes on lockdown because they have a lot of cases. Meanwhile Missouri and Florida don't do anything special because they don't think they have a lot of cases. Cases spread silently to those places, and only once they realize things are bad do they start locking down too.

Old 03-21-2020, 02:36 PM

I don’t think a few weeks is going to do much.

Old 03-21-2020, 02:41 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
This is nearly impossible for the parents who have jobs where they themselves are still working from home. (Or if they themselves still need to go into work, like if they are a healthcare professional.)
Unless there already was a SAHP, it's going to be hard to homeschool your children.

My wife is a teacher, but even she can't do it because they are going to start to do remote programs next week so she will also technically be working. We have to do it in shifts really.

Old 03-21-2020, 02:41 PM

I agree. Not sure how these wealthy white collar professionals in Wellesley and newton will have all the time and privilege to homeschool. Now if one of them is working and the other isn’t then they have a leg up. But if both parents are working it isn’t that easy.

I’m glad my kids are still in pre k and kindergarten. I feel a little less pressure about the whole homeschool thing. We’re still doing what the teacher has suggested but it’s not like we’re working on calculus and 10 page papers. Phew. Not sure how those parents are dealing. My main issue is they the need 24/7 attention.

Last edited by Bridge781; 03-21-2020 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: N

Old 03-21-2020, 02:43 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I don’t think a few weeks is going to do much.
A really good point on another thread - Italy is in lockdown and has been for a while and yet, they are still racking up 5000 new cases per day. Doesn't look like that is working out too good for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts