Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2020, 04:52 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I thought the same thing. Traffic has been amazingly light lately. I guess as much as we see people out and about, there are a good number of people that are heeding the advice.

Well, there really isn't anywhere to go. No job, no school, no movies, no restaurants, if you're smart you won't be seeing your friends, or even Mom for that matter (in fact, especially Mom). So sure, the roads are empty.

777 Confirmed Cases, 9 Deaths.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/03/...nfirmed-cases/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 06:04 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Mother in law should be getting discharged tomorrow. She’s still considered infectious and cannot drive. But she’s on the way to recovering.

I will be donning full tyvek suit, n95, glasses, and booties. Windows will be down. Can’t wait to see people’s reactions as I drive her home.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:11 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Mother in law should be getting discharged tomorrow. She’s still considered infectious and cannot drive. But she’s on the way to recovering.

I will be donning full tyvek suit, n95, glasses, and booties. Windows will be down. Can’t wait to see people’s reactions as I drive her home.
Glad to hear she's improving, and thanks for the update.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:15 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:

A friend of my brother long ago was in Vermont. He was going hunting and also going skiing on the same day. Vermont has hardly any gun laws so he actually went into the convenience store with his ski mask on and a rifle on his back. A State Trooper was there that then screamed at them "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT THIS LOOKS LIKE!" But keep in mind at no point where any guns actually pointed at people. He broke no laws there but obviously it did not look good. I also know of an incident where a semi-professional jogger use an elevation training mask while going to a post office and it caused a stir. Literally look like Darth Vader showing-up picking up a package

Old 03-23-2020, 06:35 PM

17,742 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
odds are super high they dont go back in April period. or May.
I really don't like what's been said during the past 24 hours. I'm very much getting the feeling that the local state and federal gov't are considering giving up the fight against coronavirus soon in order to protect the economy. Last night the President tweeted the following:

"WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF. AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!"

What does that mean? On the news it was said that White House insiders said he's very anxious to restart the economy.

Whether we're talking about Baker in MA, Raimondo in RI, or Cuomo in NY...the sentiment seems to be similar. Baker and Cuomo have ordered shut downs but they are pretty lenient and clearly structured that way to keep the economy somewhat afloat. Raimondo is against a shut down and rambled on today about the devastating effects this is having on the economy. Her exact words:

"The goal of everything we're doing right now is to reopen the economy as fast as possible"

It seems like protecting people is no longer top priority.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:37 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Well a friend of mine just posted that the stare of Virginia has closed school for the year. I fee that’s where we’re all headed.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:52 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

What does that mean? On the news it was said that White House insiders said he's very anxious to restart the economy.
He can flip the switch all he wants....at the end of 15 days, the people of this country may not want to go outside the way things are going.

some of the reports coming out of NYC are frightening and this is only the beginning. When 1000+ people are dying a day in the US, nobody is going to want to leave their house to go get a beer at the local bar or go see a movie when Netflix is safer.

To restart the economy is going to require confidence that going out and socializing won't put you in the hospital or worse.

This isn't just affecting older people.
https://nypost.com/2020/03/22/39-yea...-test-results/
https://nypost.com/2020/03/22/12-yea...anta-hospital/

Old 03-23-2020, 06:52 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
I really don't like what's been said during the past 24 hours. I'm very much getting the feeling that the local state and federal gov't are considering giving up the fight against coronavirus soon in order to protect the economy. Last night the President tweeted the following:

"WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF. AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!"

Whether we're talking about Baker in MA, Raimondo in RI, or Cuomo in NY...the sentiment seems to be similar. Baker and Cuomo have ordered shut downs but they are pretty lenient and clearly structured that way to keep the economy somewhat afloat. Raimondo is against a shut down and rambled on today about the devastating effects this is having on the economy. Her exact words:

"The goal of everything we're doing right now is to reopen the economy as fast as possible"

It seems like protecting people is no longer top priority.
Welcome to Italy.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:58 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:

Our president can say all he wants but doesn't mean everyone is going to listen to him. The state and municipal governments are pretty much handling the crisis by themselves and it is up to the state governors, city mayors, and town administrators to really decide how to move forward in their respective jurisdictions. I just hope that the stock market doesn't crater like the last time he said something contrary to the truth.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:59 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
There are several preprints (1, 2), CFR Studies and other observations being submitted now that there is more data. I'm not in the medical field, but they imply a very high number of asymptomatic cases coupled with a high R0.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in but it looks like a bad flu season being condensed into a much smaller time frame due to how infectious it is. The strict criteria for testing in many places could lead to selection bias due to only bad cases being counted towards the scary figures being seen. It would be impossible to test everyone, and epidemics like H1N1 aren't able to be truly analyzed until way after the fact and with the help of serological testing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts