Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2020, 01:34 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times

Advertisements

That actually wasn’t my savings. I copied and pasted what someone on LinkedIn had saved to make a point.

Sorry y’all are so unhappy working from home. I am enjoying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 03:09 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Add in learning/teaching new skills, hearing what is happening with other groups, ease of communications, mentoring, etc.

My wife and I were talking about is this morning. She misses being able to pop down to somebody's desk to show them how to do something or hearing from the folks in the next row of cubes in a different operational group talking about their next project. Now if someone needs training, it's done over a video call with limited ability to coach the person about the steps needed. If she has a question, she has to make a call, get their voice mail, wait for a callback, all the while hoping they can answer the question. Before she could simply look up and ask X if they knew and then move to Y if they didn't.

That’s why, for me, the 50/50 split has been working out well. Perfect mix of the social interaction and working together and meeting the office capacity restrictions. I’ve got three co-ops/interns reporting to me, so it’s valueable to them to see in-person demonstrations and help with issues they have. At the same time, while I do that I can give them enough info to be dangerous and WFH 1 or 2 days per week. I do have 1 employee full time WFH and those terms were discussed and approved with regards to their situation.

I guess in terms of my mental health; the hybrid WFH policy has done leaps and bounds to make me enjoy work again. I love the idea of it. I hope it stays.

Old 07-25-2020, 04:16 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That’s why, for me, the 50/50 split has been working out well. Perfect mix of the social interaction and working together and meeting the office capacity restrictions. I’ve got three co-ops/interns reporting to me, so it’s valueable to them to see in-person demonstrations and help with issues they have. At the same time, while I do that I can give them enough info to be dangerous and WFH 1 or 2 days per week. I do have 1 employee full time WFH and those terms were discussed and approved with regards to their situation.

I guess in terms of my mental health; the hybrid WFH policy has done leaps and bounds to make me enjoy work again. I love the idea of it. I hope it stays.
This is a more realistic medium-term to long-term approach I can see companies considering. Everyone with office jobs will still be commuting, but they'll do it half or three-quarters as much, and if enough are on such a rotation, it might also shed just enough load off the traffic levels to make the commute a little less painful too.

Productivity will likely still drop, though much less than with full-time remote workers.

Full-timing it at home though just isn't sustainable or viable for 95% of the workforce.

Old 07-25-2020, 04:21 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Y’all do realize that many people had remote full time jobs before corona happened ?

Old 07-25-2020, 04:48 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Y’all do realize that many people had remote full time jobs before corona happened ?
Yeah, and I'm one of them. And I still saw the importance of office interactions so much I made it a point to fly cross-country for one week per month just to have those interactions.

Old 07-25-2020, 05:43 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
True, but definitions of what's included in which Phase differ greatly by state. Phase 3 for MA started July 6, but gyms didn't get the green light until July 13. Bars will wait till Phase 4 (when vaccine/therapeutics are available).
There won't be any bars left by that phase. Boy its nice to pack a Walmart but nobody can go to a brewery with 6 people in it and have a drink. I guess it helps to be a big corporate company.

Old 07-25-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post

Yes, I was one of them. But now that courtesy has been extended to other positions that never had the opportunity to do so. It’s more accepted, and almost encouraged.

I’d say 95% of my fellow coworkers that I interact with are reporting to the office on a part time basis. The other 5% are either total WFH or only coming in once in a while when absolutely necessary.

Old 07-25-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Recruiters must be freaking desperate right now.

I’d say so. I had to disable my LinkedIn temporarily.

Old 07-25-2020, 06:26 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
There won't be any bars left by that phase. Boy its nice to pack a Walmart but nobody can go to a brewery with 6 people in it and have a drink. I guess it helps to be a big corporate company.
It's amazing there's still folks around who don't get it. How's this for a simple explanation:

Bars = close quarters, no social distancing, much longer than 15 min exposure (considered to be the threshold for transmission), no masks (because of eating/drinking), much louder talking to make oneself heard (which means particles being sprayed all over the place), and finally, impaired judgment which can result in failure to follow other basic hygiene practices

Big Box stores = mandatory masking (with no need to remove the mask in the store), and a lot more space to do social distancing

Bar reopening has been proven to be one of the causes of the resurgence in Florida and elsewhere. Baker is smart to have his eyes & ears open.

Old 07-25-2020, 08:50 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
It's amazing there's still folks around who don't get it. How's this for a simple explanation:

Bars = close quarters, no social distancing, much longer than 15 min exposure (considered to be the threshold for transmission), no masks (because of eating/drinking), much louder talking to make oneself heard (which means particles being sprayed all over the place), and finally, impaired judgment which can result in failure to follow other basic hygiene practices

Big Box stores = mandatory masking (with no need to remove the mask in the store), and a lot more space to do social distancing

Bar reopening has been proven to be one of the causes of the resurgence in Florida and elsewhere. Baker is smart to have his eyes & ears open.
How is this for an example. MA = higher death rate than Florida. The highest death rates are in the Northeast, but everyone has no changed their mentality from deaths to cases, when cases are not relevant.

Yes I agree bars are more relevant to spread a virus, but its for younger people who have very little risk. The risk is in nursing homes, where Cuomo and Baker sent the very sick back from the hospitals to the nursing homes to kill most people. I believe the average death of covid (if stats are even accurate) is an age of 81 or 82 for people in MA.

Let the younger people get infected and burn the virus out and protect the at risk people, like we have done with every other virus. And if you want to wear your mask and feel safe go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts