Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2020, 02:05 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

New case numbers out. While hospitalizations and deaths are dropping, seems we are flattening out a bit around 100-200 cases/day. Will probably be a slooow drop from here on out.

Still good news overall don't get me wrong. I wish we had an understanding of the demographics of those who are getting it now. heath workers? Nursing homes? Grocery stores? Child care? etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 02:17 PM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
It’s selfish of me to want schools to open meanwhile Disneyworld is opened. Ok.

I will be surprised if schools are closed in the fall but we’ll see. Meanwhile everyone have fun going on vacation and staying at hotels with hundreds of others. God forbid people skip a summer vacation for once in their lives. Seems like no one is. People just want what they want when they want it. But it’s selfish to want school to open so parents can do their jobs so they don’t get fired.
I'd say the difference is that when a family chooses to go on vacation, it doesn't require forcing anybody to put themselves in harm's way.

Businesses can choose to open under the guidelines and people can choose to frequent those businesses based on what they are comfortable with.

But opening schools is different. Sure, parents can choose to send send their kids or not. But to open the schools the teachers have to be willing to teach in person. And if enough teachers are not comfortable with that, then what? It's not fair to force them to teach in person if they aren't comfortable. And you can't just fire them and replace them. Another option would be to hire substitutes for any teachers who are not comfortable working, but with so many districts laying off teachers due to budget cuts, I can't imagine schools have the budget to pay for a full staff of teachers + a % of substitutes. So I really don't know how schools will tackle that.

Last edited by NewfieMama; 07-13-2020 at 02:30 PM..

Old 07-13-2020, 02:28 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
I get that going to Disneyland is a choice and if schools do open in the fall then teachers don’t have a choice. They have to go. If they put up a fight and choose not to go it does put other people in a bad position.

Also why is it ok for teachers to put up a fight about not returning to the classroom but we dodmt get this type of argument from cops, nurses, EMTs and firefighters who really have no effect on other households in America. Does anyone think maybe teachers are realizing they have some power here now and that’s why they’re not wanting to return unless they get something out of this?

Old 07-13-2020, 02:45 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
I get that going to Disneyland is a choice and if schools do open in the fall then teachers don’t have a choice. They have to go. If they put up a fight and choose not to go it does put other people in a bad position.

Also why is it ok for teachers to put up a fight about not returning to the classroom but we dodmt get this type of argument from cops, nurses, EMTs and firefighters who really have no effect on other households in America. Does anyone think maybe teachers are realizing they have some power here now and that’s why they’re not wanting to return unless they get something out of this?

I think this answers your question, the likelihood of negative impacting other households is FAR less with those professions.

Also, most teachers I know aren't opposed to returning. They're opposed to returning with there not being reasonable plans and precautions. A plan. I mean, basic things... what happens if a 2nd grade teacher test positive in a class of 20 kids. Are they quarantined at home. Is that paid for? Are all the kids and then their parents obligated to quarantine?

Also, some seem to be upset they're being seen as childcare... like its their responsibility to risk their health or kids risk each other's and their families health for the almighty dollar.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:47 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
The blood of our teachers will yield bountiful dividends for shareholders. It must done.

/s
I haven't seen anybody ask for such.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:51 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
I agree that we can’t shut down the country and schools again for the at risk groups.
Quote:
I empathize with the sick or at risk people but they can’t rule the lives of everyone.
I still don't understand why you think you're immune.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:52 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I think this answers your question, the likelihood of negative impacting other households is FAR less with those professions.

Also, most teachers I know aren't opposed to returning. They're opposed to returning with there not being reasonable plans and precautions. A plan. I mean, basic things... what happens if a 2nd grade teacher test positive in a class of 20 kids. Are they quarantined at home. Is that paid for? Are all the kids and then their parents obligated to quarantine?

Also, some seem to be upset they're being seen as childcare... like its their responsibility to risk their health or kids risk each other's and their families health for the almighty dollar.
Well maybe they should have thought of that when they signed up for the profession. I don’t think of them as simply childcare and I’m not sure most people do think that. But yes when it comes to school closing people are like oh Sh*t. How can I work of my kids are not in school as they usually are. It’s a crazy time.

At this point I’d just like to know what will happen.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:55 PM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:

I'm not sure if there is a certain feeling that when you join those other professions you knowingly put yourself on the front lines. Those who are cops, firefighters, etc. know that they will be putting themselves in harm's way. And those who are nurses, EMT's, doctor's, etc. know that they will be caring for the sick and contagious. But teachers may not feel the same way. I don't know, I'm just speculating.

And by the way, I don't think you are wrong for feeling the way you do. We've all been put in awful situations. I don't believe parents who've been working long hours and trying to teach their kids are wrong for desperately wanting schools to open. I don't blame small business owners for being devastated and angry that all of this has happened. I can understand why somebody who is immune compromised is scared when they see the nation's cases rising every day. The whole thing is just sh*t. But it's not going away and sometimes it feels like trying to navigate through it while causing the least amount of harm is impossible.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:57 PM

Default Ee

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I still don't understand why you think you're immune.
I don’t think I’m immune but I don’t have any of the underlying issues associated with covid where people don’t do well. I also know of a few older unhealthy people who’ve had it and recovered well. I’m not saying I want it. I don’t want the flu, strep or norovirus either. No one wants to get sick. But people want to be able to pay their bills and not end up in dept or have a completely stressful life because they’re trying to work and take care of kids. As I said before I only have 2 kids who are young. I can’t imagine how parents who have 3 or 4 who have to work are dealing. I think the other problem too is the unknown. We’ve already had school closed for the spring so we know what that’s like. Now there’s talk of it being closed in the fall? Or all next year ? I think people just want answers.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:02 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Well maybe they should have thought of that when they signed up for the profession. I don’t think of them as simply childcare and I’m not sure most people do think that. But yes when it comes to school closing people are like oh Sh*t. How can I work of my kids are not in school as they usually are. It’s a crazy time.

At this point I’d just like to know what will happen.

A teacher did not sign up to be paid 50-70K a year to have a classroom of 30+ in a room meant for 20 with no PPE and many students who have not been trained to wear masks.

Doctors and nurses have PPE and more staff per patient. Receptionists at doctor's offices aren't sitting a room filled with people for 7 hours a day - most receptionists get masked patients one by one from their cars at this point. Policemen are very well compensated and are only around a few people at a time. Similarly, firemen and EMTs are only around a few people at a time.

No other profession is expected to share a room with 20-30 other people with little ventilation, limited social distancing, and likely limited cooperation.

Interesting that *teachers* should have thought of this before they became teachers, but parent's didn't have to plan for this before they had children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts