Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2020, 06:02 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I’m surprised you all don’t know anyone who has no more than 2 kids?
We have 3. I know of several other families with 3. I wouldn't say it's common, as most families we socialize with have 2 or sometimes even just 1, but I wouldn't say nobody has 3 anymore. 4 or more however is not as common in my experience.

I'm personally indifferent to school closing. We are in a position where its not going to make a significant difference to household dynamics, work schedules or finances. We are prepared for either scenario is all i'll say here.

I do have concerns of course, in seeing the gruntwork that is currently going on to prep for the school year opening. My wife's been on a Zoom call with coworkers since 6PM trying to figure this out. Even I've chimed in with suggestions based on what my company does to offer advice.

The fact that the teachers themselves are left to figure this out on their own is just a sad state of affairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 06:21 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
We have 3. I know of several other families with 3. I wouldn't say it's common, as most families we socialize with have 2 or sometimes even just 1, but I wouldn't say nobody has 3 anymore. 4 or more however is not as common in my experience.

I'm personally indifferent to school closing. We are in a position where its not going to make a significant difference to household dynamics, work schedules or finances. We are prepared for either scenario is all i'll say here.

I do have concerns of course, in seeing the gruntwork that is currently going on to prep for the school year opening. My wife's been on a Zoom call with coworkers since 6PM trying to figure this out. Even I've chimed in with suggestions based on what my company does to offer advice.

The fact that the teachers themselves are left to figure this out on their own is just a sad state of affairs.
Well, the Commonwealth has asked each district to come up with three plans by the end of the month (in person/hybrid/online), but I haven't heard anything about the districts receiving proper funding and consultant help to do so.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:52 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Nobody does. But who would you have more faith in, an admin that says its not my problem and a secretary of education that is anti public schools, or the people Biden would put in?

I don't like Biden one bit, but he wouldn't put in this ineptitude.
Of course and I know who I'm voting for and why. But the poster was using the childish name calling of a certain "president" and then said that the presumptive candidate wouldn't do any better and I don't want to let that go. Perhaps you misunderstood what I said, or I wasn't clear. I have been in great trepidation and despair since 2016 over the federal issues and "staff" and in shock and horror over same since the pandemic began.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:54 PM

17,742 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
But the poster was using the childish name calling of a certain "president" and then said that the presumptive candidate wouldn't do any better and I don't want to let that go.
Well, you should let it go because the reality is...we have 2 major problems:
  1. The virus
  2. The people who refuse to follow the rules
...and #2 can't be fixed regardless of who the President is.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:12 PM

17,742 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
But the poster was using the childish name calling of a certain "president" and then said that the presumptive candidate wouldn't do any better and I don't want to let that go.
This isn't about politics, brightdoglover, and your anger is misdirected.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:14 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
San Diego and LA will be doing remote learning this fall.
and Atlanta.

Keep in mind Boston has just a slight bit more than Atlanta and springfield has half of that.

I really don't think that small towns have the expertise to get much of this done. Your wealthier communities and poorer ones have staff and a budget one way or another to hire experts. The middle doesn't. In terms of purchasing anything above 10K is quotes and 50K is a bid. Outside of Yarmouth I haven't seen anything on record of a plan as the form of a bid.

Maybe we should have stayed with county government.

CT said the plan for the state should come out in about a month...a month? That's mid august?

Summer time isn't three months like we thought it was as a kid. Schools can technically go to the end of June. Factor in a 3 day weekend for the 4th of july. Teachers might be in the last week of august and administrators about a week before that. So it isn't really 12 weeks...try six.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:19 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Well, you should let it go because the reality is...we have 2 major problems:
  1. The virus
  2. The people who refuse to follow the rules
...and #2 can't be fixed regardless of who the President is.
Nonsense. You can pass a federal law where not following rules to keep the transmission rate low is a felony. Big fines. Jail time. Suspended license. Problem #2 is a total failure of leadership.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:23 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Nonsense. You can pass a federal law where not following rules to keep the transmission rate low is a felony. Big fines. Jail time. Suspended license. Problem #2 is a total failure of leadership.
If the federal purported leader very publicly declines whatever rules and norms that are, then it does matter who is in that position and who they bring in with them.

Old 07-14-2020, 05:50 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Of course and I know who I'm voting for and why. But the poster was using the childish name calling of a certain "president" and then said that the presumptive candidate wouldn't do any better and I don't want to let that go. Perhaps you misunderstood what I said, or I wasn't clear. I have been in great trepidation and despair since 2016 over the federal issues and "staff" and in shock and horror over same since the pandemic began.
I misunderstood, my apologies

Old 07-14-2020, 05:55 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
If the federal purported leader very publicly declines whatever rules and norms that are, then it does matter who is in that position and who they bring in with them.
I believe that’s his point, thus his use of “total failure”.

It wasn’t until states outside the Northeast/PNW started seeing significant rises in cases/hospitalizations that admin staff began wearing masks on camera. Truly pathetic leadership, but for most on this board I’m stating something rather obvious here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts