Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2021, 11:26 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Just like I still come across an amazing number of folks who keep their engine running while pumping gas. If they blow themselves up, hard to feel sorry for willful ignorance.
I shut off my vehicle and put the keys in my pocket while pumping gas but the fire /explosion risk is not my primary concern; I am more concerned with someone jumping in and driving off while I am outside the vehicle. The risk of fire or explosion is a lesser concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 11:27 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Anti-vax does not equate to right-wing. The original anti-vax movement was among the baby boomer hippies who were the furthest from right wing you could get.

And yet its primarily Republican voters, roughly 50% of the male ones especially, that won't get the covid vaccine. We're not talking about anti vaxxers in general. We are specifically speaking about covid 19 vaccines. Polls routinely are showing 41 to 43% of self identifying Republicans have not and plan not to get the vaccine.

Old 06-11-2021, 11:37 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
I shut off my vehicle and put the keys in my pocket while pumping gas but the fire /explosion risk is not my primary concern; I am more concerned with someone jumping in and driving off while I am outside the vehicle. The risk of fire or explosion is a lesser concern.
May be a lesser concern to you, but in reality is a higher risk. You can't see those invisible vapors (heavier than air) and all they're looking for is an ignition source.

I know this was totally off-topic, but it does point to real vs. perceived risk levels, and how different those are.

Old 06-11-2021, 11:38 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
And yet its primarily Republican voters, roughly 50% of the male ones especially, that won't get the covid vaccine. We're not talking about anti vaxxers in general. We are specifically speaking about covid 19 vaccines. Polls routinely are showing 41 to 43% of self identifying Republicans have not and plan not to get the vaccine.
Polls are not scientific, nor provide any guarantee of accuracy. They are guesstimates at best.

Old 06-11-2021, 11:47 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Polls are not scientific, nor provide any guarantee of accuracy. They are guesstimates at best.
True...especially in this case where people of a certain ilk may not want to admit openly, even to a pollster, that they intend to get vaxxed.

Old 06-11-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Incorrect. There are scientific polls. They have statistically determined variances. Anyone that has even taken an intro level statistics course knows they aren't guesstimates.

One of the major (again, scientifically collected) by a major polling organization had a standard deviation of +/- 3.3 pts.

Old 06-11-2021, 12:12 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
haha same.

Old 06-11-2021, 12:24 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
In Massachusetts, the low vaccination areas are the failed cities. Not exactly Republican strongholds. Nationally, African Americans have a low vaccination rate. Another group where you don’t find many Republicans. It’s not just poorly educated white men.

Old 06-11-2021, 12:25 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Just like I still come across an amazing number of folks who keep their engine running while pumping gas. If they blow themselves up, hard to feel sorry for willful ignorance.
I've only seen that once in my life. It was in Pittsfield and they had Alaska plates. Couldn't believe it. If they stayed longer I would have said something.

I shut off and even lock the car. Y'all ain't taking #%@% from me. Although at the same time if someone is hitting me up for money I'd like to get into the car fast. Some gas stations are crazy. Pumps are on two different sides and add in a convivence store and people lingering and it adds up.

Old 06-11-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In Massachusetts, the low vaccination areas are the failed cities. Not exactly Republican strongholds. Nationally, African Americans have a low vaccination rate. Another group where you don’t find many Republicans. It’s not just poorly educated white men.

There is a huge difference between those that won't get vaccinated, which is what I was referring to, and those who have not yet.

And I'm not worried about MA, or New England at all. We are doing well. Much of the country (geographically wise) is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts