Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 03:48 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayy17 View Post
I think NY has just had a lot of publicity with the daily briefings Cuomo gives and what not.
Like I said a lot of states, esp those around NY like Rhode Island were literally stopping NYS plated cars, other states also singled out NY residents for quarantine (not saying it was wrong at the height of it but considering transmission rates are low now perhaps doesn’t make too much sense anymore) so NY has had its fair share of travel bans

What I don’t understand is MA ban on “all” travel. We’re actually moving to MA from NY, wasn’t planning on changing the car plates right away but looks like we might have to if we don’t want to get stopped all the time.
What makes you think any Massachusetts cop car would stop a car with NY plates? They were doing that in late-March as the state was in full lockdown.

Vermont is a different story. They’re still occasionally pulling NY and MA plates over to ask their intentions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 08:05 AM

35 posts, read 19,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
What makes you think any Massachusetts cop car would stop a car with NY plates? They were doing that in late-March as the state was in full lockdown.

Vermont is a different story. They’re still occasionally pulling NY and MA plates over to ask their intentions.
I figured since the quarantine is required for all travel they’d be stopping any out of state plates?
Is that no longer in effect?

Old 06-28-2020, 06:04 PM

173 posts, read 198,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBThescot View Post
From my perspective, are you the person who wants to travel around until you catch the virus from someone else? Or, are you the person who wants to travel around giving the virus to all the rest of us you might pass along the way?
If these questions are directed at me, from my perspective I'm neither, which is why I asked the question in the first place. Also, I'm all about following the guidelines put forth by the state and by my employer, and I plan to adhere to whatever rules there are. But if it turns out that driving a few miles over the state border to a serene lake carries more restrictions than participating in mass gatherings and protests, then I'd have to question how well thought out these guidelines are.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:08 PM

173 posts, read 198,812 times
Quote:
You would not have to quarantine going into NY from MA. These are the states that have to quarantine (website so you can check for updates):

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...ravel-advisory
It looks like that only applies on the NY side, though - on the Massachusetts side it is still advised to do a 14 day self quarantine, if I'm understanding correctly.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:56 PM

35 posts, read 19,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave120 View Post
It looks like that only applies on the NY side, though - on the Massachusetts side it is still advised to do a 14 day self quarantine, if I'm understanding correctly.
I’m not sure if that’s a mandate or just a recommendation on the MA side (Or if its still in effect because it seems it was announced some time ago). I thought you might have also been asking about entering NY because the announcement was just made.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:28 AM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
I figured since the quarantine is required for all travel they’d be stopping any out of state plates?
Is that no longer in effect?
No, and I don't think they were ever doing that. It's really hard to stop everyone apart from setting up an actual road block. If a cop pulls over a car with MA plates on I-91 in Vermont, in the 5 minutes he has the car pulled over and running plates, talking to the driver, etc. 10 more cars with MA, NY, CT, and NJ plates will zip by.

But as GeoffD said, you'll see some out of state cars getting stopped in other states. I visited Maine 2 weeks ago (took the COVID-19 test the day before arrival in order to avoid the quarantine requirement) and saw some out of state cars (mostly MA) pulled over. I wasn't stopped. I'm sure they were asked what they plan on doing. In states like Vermont or NH, an out of state driver could lie and say they're passing through to another state (if you're on 95 North in Maine, you're either going to Maine or Canada, the latter of which is closed for non-essential travel, so that lie wouldn't work), or they could promise to quarantine, even if they're only a weekend visitor. There's very little the police could do apart from documenting the plate in some shared database so they can be stopped if the plate is spotted elsewhere in the state not quarantining.

The onus here is on the individuals to comply. The hope is that most people will.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:44 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,669 times
There is also the factor that in border areas of NH and VT with MA for example, there are essential shopping trips and employment in both directions across state lines. Pulling over MA plates would become a largely futile exercise inconveniencing and angering local residents and workers. On I-91, perhaps they could focus on luxury model SUVs with boats or bike racks and CT, NY, and NJ plates.

Last edited by FCMA; 06-29-2020 at 09:53 AM..

Old 06-29-2020, 12:40 PM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
There is also the factor that in border areas of NH and VT with MA for example, there are essential shopping trips and employment in both directions across state lines. Pulling over MA plates would become a largely futile exercise inconveniencing and angering local residents and workers. On I-91, perhaps they could focus on luxury model SUVs with boats or bike racks and CT, NY, and NJ plates.
All three northern New England states could have easily done that. During a pandemic with tourist activities restricted or shut down completely, there is no valid reason for residents of those states (CT, NY, NJ) to be in this area. Of course in relation to MA, the situation is much more complicated with the daily activities of many people intertwined across the border.

Old 06-29-2020, 01:38 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I visited Maine 2 weeks ago (took the COVID-19 test the day before arrival in order to avoid the quarantine requirement) and saw some out of state cars (mostly MA) pulled over.
Kind of minute at this point, but that actually doesn't begin until July 1st under Stage 3.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:40 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I’m currently in NH for the week. Plenty of out of state vehicles up here. Feels almost like any other summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts