Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 07:46 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I know all Asians aren’t alike. In fact Cambodians and Chinese are pretty different.

I understand Quincy is more middle class and less rough around the edges but overall they are both:

somewhat affordable for being in the Boston metro.

Both have tons of rentals and there of relatively similar size

similar racial diversity statistics.

Both have a historic colonial or industrial past.

They both have significantly revitalized and reworked downtowns.

Both are relatively safe compared to other cities their size

Both are centers of Asian immigration

Water plays a significant role in the geographies of both cities
Lowell has a lot more Hispanics, and a big French Canadian population left over from the mills. Cambodians immigrants (cannot be more different from the who migrated south from Chinatown to Quincy). Lowell has a major university, and a significant national historic park (that's an actual destination). Quincy has history as well, but of a very different kind/era. Quincy is a suburb with shipbuilding heritage, Lowell is a mill town with a history in the textile industry. Quincy is on the Red Line and very much intertwined with Boston, Lowell is a satellite city on the Commuter Rail. One is on the river, the other on the sea. Quincy has Wollaston Beach, Marina Bay...Lowell nothing to even compare with that. Lowell is safe for a comparable city, but still has significantly more crime than Quincy. The similarities I see are population sizes, blue collar heritage, and an opiate problem. Outside of that, completely different dynamics. One who wants to duplicate Quincy, will likely not be happy with Lowell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 08:54 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Lowell has a lot more Hispanics, and a big French Canadian population left over from the mills. Cambodians immigrants (cannot be more different from the who migrated south from Chinatown to Quincy). Lowell has a major university, and a significant national historic park (that's an actual destination). Quincy has history as well, but of a very different kind/era. Quincy is a suburb with shipbuilding heritage, Lowell is a mill town with a history in the textile industry. Quincy is on the Red Line and very much intertwined with Boston, Lowell is a satellite city on the Commuter Rail. One is on the river, the other on the sea. Quincy has Wollaston Beach, Marina Bay...Lowell nothing to even compare with that. Lowell is safe for a comparable city, but still has significantly more crime than Quincy. The similarities I see are population sizes, blue collar heritage, and an opiate problem. Outside of that, completely different dynamics. One who wants to duplicate Quincy, will likely not be happy with Lowell.
Yeah I just don’t think those differences are as big of a deal as you do. Not when weighed against the similarities I pointed out. Imo the biggest differences are 1) proximity to Boston 2) Hispanics And 3) crime.

But I never said they’re Twin Cities-just that they certainly do share some similarities. They’re not soooo dissimilar as was being stated. I think you could get somewhat a Quincy vibe in some nicer parts of Lowell.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:52 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Ironically, speaking of crime, a man was found shot today in a Holiday Inn in Quincy.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/07/...ay-inn-quincy/

Old 07-30-2020, 10:56 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Lowell has a more alternative (hip?) vibe than Quincy. It is a mix of gritty blue collar and arty. If that is not the OP's thing, she probably won't like Salem or Waltham any better as they are similar to Lowell. I would recommend the OP look in Medford/Malden/Melrose instead. Those towns are full of young professional people. If those towns are unaffordable, look in the nicer parts of Revere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts