Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 11:15 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
If your first time make sure you start off with the sausage & lamb combo. Despite what has been claimed here, I'm quite Irish looking and every time the lamb has been perfect. Most of the time I go (which is infrequent), I'll get the sausage+garlic pizza. Otherwise just pepperoni.
Oh calm down, I was just relating something my friend believed.

That said, I was always partial to their sausage/pepper/bread app while waiting for my slightly well-done pizza with double garlic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 11:54 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Dragon Pizza in Somerville (one of my favorites) does a regular special called "The Fall River Special" which is tomato, linguica, clams, and kale.

Honorable Mentions: Brick in New Bedford for an excellent Neopolitan pizza. Mesa 21 in Fall River - great wood fired pizza.
Somerville has enough Portuguese to understand the one true pizza topping. LOL

I’ve had Brick as takeout a couple of times. I guess it’s like Guiness where it doesn’t transport well. After the miracle vaccine, I’ll have to eat one there. If we’re in that part of New Bedford, we always pick Thai.

Old 08-10-2020, 12:26 PM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’ve had Brick as takeout a couple of times. I guess it’s like Guiness where it doesn’t transport well. After the miracle vaccine, I’ll have to eat one there. If we’re in that part of New Bedford, we always pick Thai.
I've only dined in, so I can't compare. But it is one of those places that heats it in a super hot oven (900 or so degrees, I believe) for a short time. So it's awesome piping hot, fresh out of the oven. But I can see it transporting terribly.

Old 08-10-2020, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 1,481 times
Otto’s Pizza.

Old 08-10-2020, 04:04 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat racine View Post
Otto’s Pizza.
Never been to OTTO but congrats on first post after lurking for almost 11 years!

Old 08-10-2020, 04:13 PM

3,214 posts, read 2,121,919 times
Gran Gusto - Cambridge
Santarpios - East Boston
Pastoral - Fort Point
Guilty pleasure .... La Befana - Allston

Old 08-10-2020, 04:21 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
In my opinion, Otto's reputation benefits from the Portland hype machine. I lived within walking distance of the original Portland location and visited a few times over the few years I was living there. It was pretty good, but hardly worthy of the "OMG BEST PIZZA IN THE WORLD!!!!" accolades heaped upon it by the locals. When I moved to West Somerville, I wasn't far from the Arlington location (5 minute drive), but I rarely went. Again, it was fine (definitely better than average), but there were more/better options in the area. It seems almost everything that comes out of Portland is plugged as "THE BEST EVER!" and I've found that that's rarely the case (with a couple of exceptions). There's zero chance Otto is the best in New England.
As far as franchise pizza goes, OTTO's right up there. I'd take it over Domino's or Papa John's any day. Is it the best? No. Is it terrible? Also no.

Maybe I'm a glutton for a little grease, but I find their Detroit-style to be their best option, though sadly OTTO only makes it with cheese or pepperoni, and it almost feels like a secret menu item because half the time they don't serve it or are out.

Old 08-10-2020, 04:48 PM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
As far as franchise pizza goes, OTTO's right up there. I'd take it over Domino's or Papa John's any day. Is it the best? No. Is it terrible? Also no.

Maybe I'm a glutton for a little grease, but I find their Detroit-style to be their best option, though sadly OTTO only makes it with cheese or pepperoni, and it almost feels like a secret menu item because half the time they don't serve it or are out.
Absolutely! It’s good pizza. I’d take it over any of the big chains, and many local spots as well. But it’s often tossed around in “best in New England” conversations with Santarpio’s, Pepe’s, Regina, Caserta, Providence Coal Fired, Sally’s, etc. I know it’s all subjective but Otto’s is an outlier in that group to me. In Portland, there was a lot of talk about how it’s the “best pizza outside of NYC” - crazy talk. I like it, no qualms about eating there, but the superlatives are a bit much sometimes.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:01 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
One vote for Anzio's Brick Oven in Grafton

Old 08-11-2020, 08:09 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Santarpios- Eastie
The Lynwood Pizzeria- Randolph
Original Reginas-North End
The Town Spa-Stoughton

Some place in Revere I went to years ago. No idea what its called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts