Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 06:25 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
I feel like I’ve read this exact thread. Many times.
Lol yep. Same thread different year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 08:06 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
And I've likely seen plenty of average kids from "good" families completely fall through the cracks in lousy school districts like BPS. In fact, kids I had known from childhood who opted for a regular Boston high school outside the exam schools or private/Catholic high schools...it was pretty much a given you would never see or hear from them again. From what I hear many are dead, in jail, drug addicts/burnouts or otherwise down and out.
Now this is true. Going to Boston public schools is basically to never be seen form or herd from again to 95% of their middle class peers. Kid I know from Boston Public schools mostly end up living at home at age 29, have a gun charge, have several kids before 26, are in jail, selling hard drugs, on drugs, or work an hourly service job. That’s the vast majority. Most of the kids I was friends with in Boston from Boston did not go to BPS. Although we all knew kids who did-they’re outlook on life was very different. They experience school differently and had more negative feelings towards school in general. School was also less a a part of their focus and lives.

My parents never I side red sending me to BPS but I was entering in 1998. Th igns are different now. Back then they knew too many of their friends kids who had been in serious/dangerous fights.

We had a student at my private school come in the 2nd grade from the now closed Margaret Fuller a school in Jamaica Plain (near Egleston Square) he told me how smallest kids used to stand against a wall and get pelted with bags full of pennies and nickel by various bullies. No grass, no real playground and constant bullying. He came into our private school terribly socially adjusted and full of what 7 year old me found very terrifying, horrific stories of severe bullying.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:36 AM

65 posts, read 58,176 times
Watertown higher than Milton?
Foxborough higher than Belmont?

Cmon now

Old 09-05-2020, 05:42 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassTech View Post
Littleton #2, Bromfield #6, representing Central Mass.

Old 09-07-2020, 06:17 AM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
There is a lot of complicated rationale for why these are bad rankings, but looking at the factors they include, it actually sounds pretty thorough and quite rational, and at least it's based on objective data and averaged over many students. These arguments that the schools are irrelevant and you're really just measuring the income of the parents sound offbase to me. Personally, I'd put more stock in this than in just talking to a few parents/students and getting anecdotal reviews from them. I don't think you want to cut things too fine - a small difference in ranking is probably meaningless, but bigger differences, yes, I think they're telling you something about the odds of your child's "success" in terms of going on the college and getting into a decent school.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:04 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
There is a lot of complicated rationale for why these are bad rankings, but looking at the factors they include, it actually sounds pretty thorough and quite rational, and at least it's based on objective data and averaged over many students. These arguments that the schools are irrelevant and you're really just measuring the income of the parents sound offbase to me. Personally, I'd put more stock in this than in just talking to a few parents/students and getting anecdotal reviews from them. I don't think you want to cut things too fine - a small difference in ranking is probably meaningless, but bigger differences, yes, I think they're telling you something about the odds of your child's "success" in terms of going on the college and getting into a decent school.
There is plenty of data on the doe website, we have schools in Cambridge and Somerville that have higher scores by subgroup than most schools in Belmont and Arlington yet on great school they are ranked much lower due to diversity and the use of average scores across the school.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:27 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
There is plenty of data on the doe website, we have schools in Cambridge and Somerville that have higher scores by subgroup than most schools in Belmont and Arlington.
HIGH SCHOOL.

Old 09-14-2020, 03:41 PM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
There is plenty of data on the doe website, we have schools in Cambridge and Somerville that have higher scores by subgroup than most schools in Belmont and Arlington yet on great school they are ranked much lower due to diversity and the use of average scores across the school.
I was looking at the Boston Magazine high school ratings linked by the O.P. They rank by:
- Avg class size
- Student:teacher ratio
- 10th grade MCAS scores
- SAT scores
- Advanced placement proficient
- Graduation rate
- % attending college
- Educator evaluations

Old 09-17-2020, 04:34 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times
Quote:
I was looking at the Boston Magazine high school ratings linked by the O.P. They rank by:
- Avg class size
- 10th grade MCAS scores
- SAT scores
- Graduation rate
- % attending college
- Educator evaluations
I said by subgroup - when you compare score across the same student groups. Compare non-disadvantaged to non-disadvantaged scores for example.

Old 09-17-2020, 06:31 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
- Avg class size
- 10th grade MCAS scores
- SAT scores
- Graduation rate
- % attending college
- Educator evaluations
“Avg class size” and “student:teacher ratio” seem redundant, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts