Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 06:31 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say B.U. is more respected than Tufts. It's larger and more "known", but quantitively the admissions to either school is highly selective ... no way I was slipping in. I know my peers who went to Tufts were also flirting with admission into more 'elite' universities.
Your last sentence is what led to what some called Tufts Syndrome. For years, Tufts was a safety school to the Ivies and in order to protect yield, many highly qualified students were not admitted to the school. Tufts (and other schools that supposedly have this affliction including Hopkins, Tulane, Washington St. Louis) puts extra emphasis on demonstrated interest. If one has the chops to get into an Ivy and apply to some of those schools without visiting, following on social media, et al, one may not get accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 09:24 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,342,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
After Harvard, MIT and BU, I gather Tufts is the fourth most respected school in Boston.
I have never heard of anyone saying BU is more respected than Tufts.

Old 10-09-2020, 09:57 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily say B.U. is more respected than Tufts. It's larger and more "known", but quantitively the admissions to either school is highly selective ... no way I was slipping in. I know my peers who went to Tufts were also flirting with admission into more 'elite' universities.

Totally agree. I went to BU. I didn't apply to Tufts because I figured it was out of reach, academically. People I knew who were applying there also applied to Ivy League schools, or places like Wesleyan.

Old 10-09-2020, 11:12 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I have never heard of anyone saying BU is more respected than Tufts.
Generally yes, but it all depends on the field of study. BU’s reputation has steadily improved, and is a world class institution for many fields which do not exist at Tufts. Also, as you move out of this region, I think the reputation advantage of Tufts fades a bit. You can’t go wrong either way.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:47 PM

12,168 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
I have to agree with you. I only said BU was better because I've gotten yelled at for saying that before lol. I grew up thinking Tufts was 3rd, but recently people have said "BU???'.

Tufts was my #2 for grad school, I got in. But ultimately chose Rutgers because it was a better program. Tufts has long time been my favorite school, favorite location too.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:56 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I have to agree with you. I only said BU was better because I've gotten yelled at for saying that before lol. I grew up thinking Tufts was 3rd, but recently people have said "BU???'.

Tufts was my #2 for grad school, I got in. But ultimately chose Rutgers because it was a better program. Tufts has long time been my favorite school, favorite location too.
If you meant BC, there would be a legitimate argument to be had. Not BU.

I would say the hierarchy for colleges (selectivity and notoriety) in the immediate Boston area is something like:

Harvard
MIT
Tufts
Wellesley
BC
BU
Brandeis
Northeastern

Babson and Bentley for Business would be somewhere in that list, too.

Probably missed a few. But, as it relates to this thread, Tufts is a great school.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:14 AM

5,112 posts, read 2,668,728 times
Say what you want about US News, but they have a fairly popular ranking methodology. According to them these "national" colleges go down like this:

Harvard
MIT
Tufts
BC
BU
Brandeis
NU

Wellesley is #4 in the nation among liberal arts colleges.

It's all highly subjective and all very dependent on program. While MIT is second on this list, I'm sure it is much more desirable and competitive than Harvard in many tech programs.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 10-12-2020 at 09:23 AM..

Old 10-12-2020, 09:16 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
If you meant BC, there would be a legitimate argument to be had. Not BU.

I would say the hierarchy for colleges (selectivity and notoriety) in the immediate Boston area is something like:

Harvard
MIT
Tufts
Wellesley
BC
BU
Brandeis
Northeastern

Babson and Bentley for Business would be somewhere in that list, too.

Probably missed a few. But, as it relates to this thread, Tufts is a great school.
It depends.

Based on the size and scope of its research effort the list is pretty clearly

MIT ≈ Harvard >> BU > Tufts ≈ Northeastern > Brandeis > BC

Of course it will vary considerably by program.

For undergraduate Tufts is more selective than BU, which is more selective than BC. BC is the only big time college football program in New England.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:52 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
If you think you want to go to medical/dental/vet school, Tufts has an early admission program for 2nd semester sophomores. You still have to maintain your GPA but it takes the pressure off.

Old 10-12-2020, 11:15 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
It's all highly subjective and all very dependent on program. While MIT is second on this list, I'm sure it is much more desirable and competitive than Harvard in many tech programs.
And if undergrad mechanical engineering, Northeastern might actually be the better value over MIT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts