Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 11:26 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
And if undergrad mechanical engineering, Northeastern might actually be the better value over MIT.
MIT is about the same price ($53.7k vs $53.5k) and offers better aide. Not sure why you think this is the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 01:10 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
As someone said earlier Tufts (like many other good schools) is not well known outside its geographical area like Harvard and MIT are and to some extent BU and BC are.

Old 10-12-2020, 01:17 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
As someone said earlier Tufts (like many other good schools) is not well known outside its geographical area like Harvard and MIT are and to some extent BU and BC are.
Tufts is more well known than it's NESCAC counterparts, like Williams, Bowdoin, Hamilton, Colby.

I think the good folks in the Chicago area, for example, certainly recognize the name Tufts, and associate it with a Tier 1 University. If you were to say Bowdoin, with the exception of some small/affluent circles, they will have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 10-12-2020, 01:53 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
MIT is about the same price ($53.7k vs $53.5k) and offers better aide. Not sure why you think this is the case.
The Co-op Program. It's the one reason why my high school biology teacher's two sons chose Northeastern over MIT, which was his own alma mater and the two ended up with very successful careers. If you already carved a path to a successful career in a major that is much in demand, Northeastern's co-op program can pay huge dividends. Many cooperative education placements especially in engineering, business, and the natural sciences pay quite well too so you might even graduate with a profit. MIT certainly has the higher ranking and better prestige but NU with its co-op program should not be overlooked.

Old 10-12-2020, 02:17 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
The Co-op Program. It's the one reason why my high school biology teacher's two sons chose Northeastern over MIT, which was his own alma mater and the two ended up with very successful careers. If you already carved a path to a successful career in a major that is much in demand, Northeastern's co-op program can pay huge dividends. Many cooperative education placements especially in engineering, business, and the natural sciences pay quite well too so you might even graduate with a profit. MIT certainly has the higher ranking and better prestige but NU with its co-op program should not be overlooked.

Yeah, but having that brass rat on your finger is going to open a lot of doors professionally that a Northeastern degree won't. It's an even bigger deal with grad schools.

Old 10-12-2020, 02:29 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Unless you are a complete introvert, that co-op program ain't getting you a leg up over MIT. There is nothing preventing the brilliant minds of MIT from getting three internships in college, other than themselves.

That MIT network is far more powerful, especially long term, than a co-op program.

I know many, many people who chose Umass Amherst over Northeastern. I don't know a soul who chose Umass Amherst over MIT.

Old 10-12-2020, 02:37 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Tufts is more well known than it's NESCAC counterparts, like Williams, Bowdoin, Hamilton, Colby.

I think the good folks in the Chicago area, for example, certainly recognize the name Tufts, and associate it with a Tier 1 University. If you were to say Bowdoin, with the exception of some small/affluent circles, they will have no idea what you're talking about.
Most people know schools because of their sports. My daughter looked at Seton Hall. It's a good school, well known for basketball, but ultimately not much different than where she is now.

Tufts isn't well known by the general public but once kids start researching schools, it becomes very well know. Guidance counselors know it's a good school and will advise kids to research it if it meets their criteria. Most of my son's friends came from around the county: Chicago, San Jose, San Francisco, Denver, New York. All smart kids that all were sold on the school.

Old 10-12-2020, 02:37 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Unless you are a complete introvert, that co-op program ain't getting you a leg up over MIT. There is nothing preventing the brilliant minds of MIT from getting three internships in college, other than themselves.

That MIT network is far more powerful, especially long term, than a co-op program.

I know many, many people who chose Umass Amherst over Northeastern. I don't know a soul who chose Umass Amherst over MIT.
Unless there was a significant savings at NEU (which happens, because the students admitted to MIT tend to get scholarships to NEU), MIT is a much better choice as an undergrad. My experience with the two student populations (which is where we tend to get interns) is similar; there are great NEU students, but on average they are a SD or more from the average MIT student.

https://www.parchment.com/c/college/...ern+University

Old 10-12-2020, 02:48 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Keep in mind that co-op at Northeastern is not required although most students take advantage of it. Of note, to graduate in 4 years and participate in a the co-op program, requires student to be doing something year round. Most industrious students at any school will be working internships in the summer similar to the co-op programs.

As for MIT vs NU - yeah, the above are correct. No NU diploma is going to open more doors than an MIT one.

Old 10-12-2020, 02:59 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:

I had a classmate at Northeastern who rejected Yale because NU gave him a completely free ride, even a small sum of money for books. One of my classmates' siblings got into Harvard but chose to take a full ride to BU instead. Now you might say Harvard and Yale, predominantly liberal arts schools are not the same as MIT the technology and engineering school, but it just shows that there may be reasons for folks to choose the lesser ranking school over the top notch name. No one can ever put down the name MIT just like no one can ever put down the name Harvard but circumstances may have dictated outcomes. I agree that no one can ever put down the name MIT just like no one can ever put down the name Harvard but there may be other circumstances. You can't call someone a fool for getting accepted into such schools but choosing a lower ranked alternative. I mean getting accepted already puts them one step ahead of anyone who did not get accepted.

Last edited by Urban Peasant; 10-12-2020 at 03:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts