Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 10:35 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,651,571 times

Advertisements

I am curious about and have been exploring Melrose as a possible place to relocate. Could someone tell me what the community is like there? What are some fun things to do there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 06:06 PM

2,948 posts, read 5,196,643 times
Not sure, but it seems pleasant when I drive thru, and I like the small downtown. They may still have a weekly newspaper. Check their library for past issues if you live in the Boston area, and spend an afternoon looking through them for community events, news and photos.

Also, the Globe publishes a North section on Thursdays and Sundays. I'm sure they've written an occasional article on the town.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Not sure, but it seems pleasant when I drive thru, and I like the small downtown. They may still have a weekly newspaper. Check their library for past issues if you live in the Boston area, and spend an afternoon looking through them for community events, news and photos.

Also, the Globe publishes a North section on Thursdays and Sundays. I'm sure they've written an occasional article on the town.
@bostonguy, thanks for the reply.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:46 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,243,463 times
Melrose is popular with younger families and people who are priced out of Cambridge, West Somerville, Belmont, etc.. It has great commuting options to Boston and pleasant downtown. Some older threads were trying to address schools quality and if Melrose is still little "too towny" for outsiders. I am not from there, and all the knowledge I have about Melrose is from various sources that might/might not be accurate. Schools are OK nothing spectacular, and openness to new residents--not sure. I suspect is like any place around here.
Hope it helps you. Try to dig some older stuff, plenty of opinions.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:51 PM

Not sure if you want a house or apartment.

I'm guessing it's mostly white folks, but I could be wrong; I was told this year that adjacent Stoneham is almost still entirely white.

Since Melrose borders Malden and its high Chinese population (and some Indian in recent years), perhaps it's not as "townie" as it may have been years ago. The previous poster mentioned the "townie" term, but I don't know enough about the town.

I drive a cab in Boston and get an occasional young professional or family man frm the airport or financial district to Melrose. As I said, I like most of the town.

There are some older and dumpier style apts. near Main Street, so that may be a bit riffraff for some.
At least it's near the Middlesex Fells Reservation, the zoo and pond in Stonehsm, etc. Square One Mall is near in Saugus, and all the Rt. 1 restaurants and shopping.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Not sure if you want a house or apartment.

I'm guessing it's mostly white folks, but I could be wrong; I was told this year that adjacent Stoneham is almost still entirely white.

Since Melrose borders Malden and its high Chinese population (and some Indian in recent years), perhaps it's not as "townie" as it may have been years ago. The previous poster mentioned the "townie" term, but I don't know enough about the town.

I drive a cab in Boston and get an occasional young professional or family man frm the airport or financial district to Melrose. As I said, I like most of the town.

There are some older and dumpier style apts. near Main Street, so that may be a bit riffraff for some.
At least it's near the Middlesex Fells Reservation, the zoo and pond in Stonehsm, etc. Square One Mall is near in Saugus, and all the Rt. 1 restaurants and shopping.
An apartment will likely be where I would end up at first, renting and then buying a small SFH, if the town I land in proves to be a good fit for me. Riffraff, I don't see too many ruffians when I have visited. I have noticed a number of forlorn people wandering around Main Street especially at the Wyoming Street end, sitting on park benches by themselves and teenage mothers, possibly some people with mental health or substance abuse issues?

Old 06-23-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Riffraff, I don't see too many ruffians when I have visited. I have noticed a number of forlorn people wandering around Main Street especially at the Wyoming Street end, sitting on park benches by themselves and teenage mothers, possibly some people with mental health or substance abuse issues?
I guess "riffraff" (sp?) has different eanings to different people.

I didn't realize it may have "forlorn" and "teenage mothers" in town. I don't drive through often enough, it seems.

I guess I was referring to cheap 1960s-style apts. off Wyoming near the Richfield convenience store. They actually had an armed robbery, I think, a few months ago that made the local tv news. Those apts. seemed to be types with lots of abandoned shopping carts nearby, never a good sign. But I guess that's a very small portion of town, so likely not a big deal.

Ch. 5's Chronicle had a segment last year on local Irish bakeries and services, and profiled a new Melrose bakery where the entire family seems to all pitch in. I plan to drop in.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I guess "riffraff" (sp?) has different eanings to different people.

I didn't realize it may have "forlorn" and "teenage mothers" in town. I don't drive through often enough, it seems.

I guess I was referring to cheap 1960s-style apts. off Wyoming near the Richfield convenience store. They actually had an armed robbery, I think, a few months ago that made the local tv news. Those apts. seemed to be types with lots of abandoned shopping carts nearby, never a good sign. But I guess that's a very small portion of town, so likely not a big deal.

Ch. 5's Chronicle had a segment last year on local Irish bakeries and services, and profiled a new Melrose bakery where the entire family seems to all pitch in. I plan to drop in.
Bostonguy, now that you mention it, I noticed many abandoned shopping carts in the parking lots behind the Main Street shops. I hadn't heard about the armed robbery. I have read about the killing of the skateboard shop owner in Malden. I wouldn't negatively judge either of these towns based on those incidents. Acton has had several armed robberies, a recent assault on a woman at the train station, an infanticide and its fair share of crazies along with the prosperous, ambitious and everyone in between. I also have seen an abandoned shopping cart or two in my time here.

Last edited by 495neighbor; 06-23-2013 at 02:31 PM..

Old 06-23-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
Melrose is popular with younger families and people who are priced out of Cambridge, West Somerville, Belmont, etc.. It has great commuting options to Boston and pleasant downtown. Some older threads were trying to address schools quality and if Melrose is still little "too towny" for outsiders. I am not from there, and all the knowledge I have about Melrose is from various sources that might/might not be accurate. Schools are OK nothing spectacular, and openness to new residents--not sure. I suspect is like any place around here.
Hope it helps you. Try to dig some older stuff, plenty of opinions.
I am fine with a mix of townie and new people. I find when the last townie leaves a town, the town becomes every other town.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:11 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,243,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I am fine with a mix of townie and new people. I find when the last townie leaves a town, the town becomes every other town.
Nothing against as well, unless you need to make friends and then can be tough to break in. If you have kids, it is usually more important that your new community is inclusive and welcoming. That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts