Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 10:14 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Accents get disdain from many fronts. Certain Notherners look down upon the southern drawl as if everyone with it is either stupid and/or racist. Certain Southerners get vibes of elitist Northerners. Other parts of the country think everyone from NY and Boston sound the same--like mobsters. All that said, lots of people love the accent, especially those who loved the Kennedy's.
Among the biggest haters are the ones who were raised here and don't have one. Either because they have the opinion it makes one sound dumb more likely because they are jealous.
I'm indifferent about the Boston accent, but hearing that someone who doesn't like it may be jealous is a first for me.

My only gripe about accents (including some words in the Boston one) is butchering words by omitting or adding letters/sounds. There's no R in wash, there is an R in park, there's not two U's in nuclear, and there are two I's in aluminium (it's not calcum, uranum, or titanum, so why did the US/Canada do this to aluminium?).

Everyone has an accent, some just forget they have one because they're surrounded by people with the same accent. Australians don't say they speak with an Australian accent; they say we speak with an American accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 10:24 AM

5,111 posts, read 2,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Everyone has an accent, some just forget they have one because they're surrounded by people with the same accent.

In this context I am talking more about regional accents. In many areas of the country they are going away, with social/occupational class and generational shifts, as variables to the extent this trend is occurring. Nobody butchered the Boston accent better than the Kennedy's, except maybe Martin Sheen.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:26 AM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Only thing that's grating to me is a faked accent, or a faked "non-accent".

Old 12-22-2020, 10:30 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
In this context I am talking more about regional accents. In many areas of the country they are going away, with social/occupational class as a variable to the extent this trend is occurring.
I think even regionally, there's still a lot of subtle ones people might not pick up on. Mountain West ends days of the week with "dee" instead of "day" or adding a T to the end of "across" -- "Wednesdee afternoon I went to the store acrosst the street from the church." It's a subtle enough thing that it slips past most people without even realizing they're hearing an accent, maybe because it doesn't have the drawl or a "howdy y'all" or "ow yoo doin'" of the more obvious accents. California's got their accent, Lousiana's got theres, and even Florida has one.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I think even regionally, there's still a lot of subtle ones people might not pick up on. Mountain West ends days of the week with "dee" instead of "day" or adding a T to the end of "across" -- "Wednesdee afternoon I went to the store acrosst the street from the church." It's a subtle enough thing that it slips past most people without even realizing they're hearing an accent, maybe because it doesn't have the drawl or a "howdy y'all" or "ow yoo doin'" of the more obvious accents. California's got their accent, Lousiana's got theres, and even Florida has one.

Yes, there are subtle differences even in the most sanitized speech. I listen closely to accents and dialects so I notice them more. Most people aren't as interested. But there is also a standard corporate yuppie type presentation as well that seems to be prevalent. And those under 40 or so probably won't notice much of the change that has occurred.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:40 AM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I don't mind a Boston accent on a man but I think it sounds trashy on a woman. I can see where some people might envy a good looking guy from Southie or Dorchester with a Boston accent. An accent is something that you develop only if you grew up in a certain area. You can't fake it or pretend, you can't buy one or borrow one. I think there are some movies that have glamorized Boston bad boys as well (goodwill hunting, departed, gone baby gone). Very good looking guys playing tough guys with Boston accents who would die for the friends they grew up with. Who wouldn't be a little envious of that? The Boston accent stands for loyalty in may ways, it's generational and sadly it's dying out. Some day we won't hear that accent anymore as Boston is overtaken by transplants and more people move out of those neighborhoods.

Personally I love an Australian accent. I would love to be from Australia.

Old 12-30-2020, 02:18 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Apparently the officer who made the news recently sexually assaulted a woman on a detail 15 years ago and faced a 1 year unpaid suspension. Got a promotion afterwards too, makes $253k/yr. Not the type to just lay low and stare at his phone while on OT I guess.

We'll see where the DA's investigation goes.

Old 12-30-2020, 02:29 PM

He had sex with a woman in his car while he was working and she accused him of rape. The woman lived in NH and was married (she was a teacher) . She called the dept the next day accusing him of rape, but then she dropped the charges

Old 12-30-2020, 07:15 PM

Off-duty BPD officer saves child's life from pitbull attack:

https://whdh.com/news/investigation-...ull-in-boston/

Old 12-30-2020, 07:43 PM

It’s nice to see that the hero cop is getting the attention. Hope he didn’t kill the dog but better than dog killing kid. It really makes me angry that people get these kind of dogs and don’t train them properly. People in these neighborhoods who get Pittbulls are up to no good.

Last edited by msRB311; 12-30-2020 at 07:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts