Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 03:12 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Don't you think landowners should be able to cover their costs without rent? If not, they should sell.

Kind of annoying that some see "owning a house" as a fulltime job / source of income.
was this serious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 03:47 PM

875 posts, read 662,987 times
I am happy to defer some rent collection - as long as I can likewise defer payment of taxes, mortgage interest, condo fees etc.

Old 11-24-2020, 04:05 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
was this serious?

lmfao. Scary huh?

smh

Old 11-24-2020, 04:57 PM

23,554 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I'm not profiting. The previous attempted buyers financing collapsed. It's like buying stocks during a correction. Would you rather see things fall further?

I wasn't pointing at you.

Old 11-24-2020, 05:01 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
was this serious?
It’s the manifestation of a grudge. My last landlord never gave back my security deposit, was generally awful with keeping up the property and with communication. I know I just need to file a claim in small courts against her, but I believe I looker her up and she already had tons of lawsuits filed against her, her husband, and their real estate company.

I don’t think she had any other job besides managing her properties. She didn’t contribute anything to the community or the economy. Just an absolute leech. Ugh. I really shouldn’t have commented because now I’m all flustered.

I don’t dislike renting or landlords as a concept. Renting makes sense if you don’t want to be tied down to one place for a long time, and a little extra pocket change for landlords can be a welcome boon. However, I would like there to be a housing surplus so that lazy bums like my old landlord can’t get rich by jamming 7 people into a single, old house and charging luxury prices.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 11-24-2020 at 05:19 PM..

Old 11-24-2020, 05:12 PM

23,554 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
It’s the manifestation of a grudge. My last landlord never gave back my security deposit, was generally awful with keeping up the property and with communication. I know I just need to file a claim in small courts against her, but I believe I looker her up and she already had tons of lawsuits filed against her, her husband, and their real estate company.

I don’t think she had any other job besides managing her properties. She didn’t contribute anything to the community or the economy. Just an absolute leech. Ugh. I really shouldn’t have commented because now I’m all flustered.

But you do realize not all landlords are FT slumlords like this lady? Many if not most in Mass. are small time maybe own a 2 or 3 family to help pay for their own housing, or they moved and are renting out the old space, etc. etc.. In many of those cases, they barely break even (if that). You're not going to get rich by owning a 3 decker or two, and it certainly won't substitute for a FT paycheck.

Quote:
However, I would like there to be a housing surplus so that lazy bums like my old landlord can’t get rich by jamming 7 people into a single, old house and charging luxury prices.

I agree to this, and have zero sympathy for those making a career out of investment properties and gouging renters. Hopefully all the vacancies continue putting a downward pressure on rents in the city. But you also have to admit that if a lot of these properties end up in foreclosure due to unpaid rents, others are going to suffer in the short term as well and that will actually cause a housing crunch rather than a surplus.

Old 11-24-2020, 05:24 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
But you do realize not all landlords are FT slumlords like this lady? Many if not most in Mass. are small time maybe own a 2 or 3 family to help pay for their own housing, or they moved and are renting out the old space, etc. etc.. In many of those cases, they barely break even (if that). You're not going to get rich by owning a 3 decker or two, and it certainly won't substitute for a FT paycheck.
Yes, I absolutely realize this and agree.

Quote:
But you also have to admit that if a lot of these properties end up in foreclosure due to unpaid rents, others are going to suffer in the short term as well and that will actually cause a housing crunch rather than a surplus.
Seems like most solutions result in people suffering in the short term, unfortunately. I really don’t have a good answer.

Old 11-24-2020, 05:42 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Quote:
However, I would like there to be a housing surplus so that lazy bums like my old landlord can’t get rich by jamming 7 people into a single, old house and charging luxury prices.

I definitely share similar sentiments on this point. I'm very much a market based thinker, but I'm sick of seeing (in many cases) otherwise "talentless" people get rich off their dumpy rental units only because of low supply and high demand, much of which came from poor/corrupt city planning. Same goes for many of the "rental agent" shysters who take a 40 hour real estate class so they can charge exorbitant fees to do nothing more than open a door to show a unit to a prospective tenant (and all the bait/switch and other scams that come with some of it).

Not saying all landlords are like this, but shocked at the number of apartments I've seen where owners have seemingly not put a dime into the place and yet are renting them at top dollars because they know some poor schlub who just got a job here and desperately needs a place will stand in line to rent the place. In other words, taking advantage of low supply caused in large part not only by the market but because the city hasn't handled the housing supply situation well, in my view.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 11-24-2020 at 05:59 PM..

Old 11-25-2020, 07:17 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Not saying all landlords are like this, but shocked at the number of apartments I've seen where owners have seemingly not put a dime into the place and yet are renting them at top dollars because they know some poor schlub who just got a job here and desperately needs a place will stand in line to rent the place. In other words, taking advantage of low supply caused in large part not only by the market but because the city hasn't handled the housing supply situation well, in my view.
Even if one is an orthodox 'free market' thinker, it's hard to disagree with this assessment.

Low supply has allowed unethical actors to squat on properties, renting non-code compliant bedrooms at exorbitant rates to the naive and desperate. And while they let their properties atrophy, the increasing land values spare them of any future financial consequence.

It's a problem and one I've been helping a family member navigate. Fortunately, she has legal representation and is likely to exit the contract without financial penalty as well as recouping costs.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:56 AM

875 posts, read 662,987 times
And Boston is the perfect location for these slumlords to prosper - a fresh crop of transient students/young professionals every year.

At the top of this steaming pile is Anwar Faisal
https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/...ndlord-boston/

On the other side of the coin, there are many of us who are good landlords and there are many bad tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts