Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 02:10 PM

11,474 posts, read 6,002,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Because he is selfish. He could help but he's more concerned about his political career.
Help who? Helping tenants who will never be able to pay their rent going forward, hurts landlords who will never be able to collect that rent going forward. It made enormous sense to provide a grace period for impacted workers who lost their jobs or income, to not be evicted promptly. This has helped many people who got their old jobs back or got new jobs. For tenants who are simply unfortunate and will not be getting a job any time soon, helping them means screwing landlords.

It is a zero sum game. Somebody is going to be hurt. It just depends on who you want to see helped. I don't think it is fair to perpetually help tenants at the expense of landlords. Do that long enough, and you are going to see a lot of foreclosures when landlords can't service their mortgages or taxes.

It was wise to have a short term eviction moratorium. It is not wise to make it forever.

Blame the people to blame -- the governors and mayors who shut down all the businesses that slammed the various workers and killed their income streams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 04:14 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I did collections long ago (late 90s) I'd argue most (75%) were deadbeats 22% honestly forgot and 3% fraud.

If you tell anyone they don't have to pay a bill until a given period of time *without* repercussions most will go until then.

Some people will pay their bill at the end of the year. Even the biggest shyster huckers poverty pimps I know said to pay your rent.

This reminds me of the refugee process where decades later after the conflict ends or area gets fixed we ask for some to go back. Just like with Hurricane Maria and Katrina people get resettled but there's a general expectation that they'll find work and get by.

Remember 2008? Some were nearly on unemployment for two years. I don't think we need that again. After a few weeks the vacation concept wanes. After six months the skill drain happens and a year I think sanity fades. Two years I can't imagine.

Heck I've had jobs in the part of driving 100 miles a day and 90 minutes each way. But if that paid the bills so be it, was nearly hit head on and still showed up for work each day (physical therapy on weekends - mostly whiplash)

We had some of the same debates under the TANF reforms of the 1990s

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pers...pportunity_Act

Old 11-25-2020, 05:19 PM

17,739 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
The nonsense with expecting handouts has gotten out of control.
Quote:
Didn't you want a $500 EBT card?
Quote:
sure why not, I could use an extra $500. But i didn't get one because I don't qualify. I never expected one. Wanting and expecting are two different things

Why not? Because you don't need it.

Old 11-25-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Blame the people to blame -- the governors and mayors who shut down all the businesses that slammed the various workers and killed their income streams.
I blame the governors and mayors for irresponsibly allowing places to reopen.

Old 11-26-2020, 08:53 AM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Why not? Because you don't need it.
I have a lot of things I don't need.

Happy Turkey Day!

Old 11-26-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Happy Turkey Day!
Thanks. Same to you. Is your aunt still coming over?

Old 11-27-2020, 01:12 PM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Thanks. Same to you. Is your aunt still coming over?
Yes, she did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts