Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 02:51 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Why would I do that ? it wouldn't be a diverse school. If I looked for higher percent Caucasian ,its not diversity but racism.
Reverse racism is sweetened with moniker ' diversity 'that's ok.
So then explain to me how a 95%+ white district is diverse? Entities like Niche, which I do not necessarily value, also ding heavily black districts for lack of diversity. It’s rather difficult to find a diverse school which also tests well, which is why these questions continually come up.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 01-12-2021 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 07:22 PM

16 posts, read 15,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Hopkinton last census was <4% Asian. White + ‘white’ Hispanic was 90%+.

Shrewsbury is both cheaper and more diverse.
Which neighborhoods are desirable in Shrewsbury?

Old 01-13-2021, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by av0205 View Post
Which neighborhoods are desirable in Shrewsbury?
Generally speaking, the neighborhoods north of route 9 are more desirable and contain higher quality housing stock. Desirability increases north of Main St/the town center with the neighborhoods between 140 and Spring St. being the ‘peak’ ... the housing stock and pricing in these neighborhoods reflect this. Part of the desirability of this area is also the 290/495 access ... many of the dual income households within have at least one spouse heading to 495/3/95/Nashua rather than Worcester/UMass.

This said, there are plenty of desirable pockets scattered throughout, such as neighborhoods off 140 near Grafton, the neighborhoods off 140 south of the town center, the Gulf St area, etc.

There’s also a changing dynamic in RE due to the larger proportion of Indian buyers. Where as western/American buyers tend prioritize “location, location, location” and will buy an older home to achieve said location, the newer Indian/Asian buyers in town tend to prioritize new builds over the plot or location. As a result, you now see new builds on margin plots pulling top dollar and older ranches in highly desirable neighborhoods effectively selling for the land value. Again, this is a bit of a generalization and no demographic is a monolith or buys like one.

Your budget will dictate which areas to target. Some neighborhoods run $800k+ and others run $400k+ and often these neighborhoods abut. It’s one of the aspects which make Shrewsbury a rather interesting town ... it is both racially and economically diverse, yet still performs very high.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:09 PM

16 posts, read 15,799 times
Thank you everyone for the informative responses. After reading all the responses the focus will be on Shrewsbury RE but since we are in a bit of time crunch to buy the house, and we do see RE in Framingham, we were are thinking about considering it too. Framingham is midway between Worcester and Boston (atleast per Zillow) . Currently, I am not working but will be looking for job opportunities soon. Not sure where the opportunity will land but if it is near Boston, this location will help. Are there any neighborhoods we should avoid? Which neighborhoods are the desirable ones? The rating of the schools in Framingham district is not great but are the schools necessarily bad? I have visited the MASS DOE website but have not had the chance to get into the root issue of the low rating. Any guidance will help. Thanks

Old 01-14-2021, 04:49 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
I have visited the MASS DOE website but have not had the chance to get into the root issue of the low rating. Any guidance will help. Thanks
The southern part of town, especially near the train station is real bad.

Old 01-14-2021, 04:53 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone for the informative responses. After reading all the responses the focus will be on Shrewsbury RE but since we are in a bit of time crunch to buy the house, and we do see RE in Framingham, we were are thinking about considering it too. Framingham is midway between Worcester and Boston (atleast per Zillow) . Currently, I am not working but will be looking for job opportunities soon. Not sure where the opportunity will land but if it is near Boston, this location will help. Are there any neighborhoods we should avoid? Which neighborhoods are the desirable ones? The rating of the schools in Framingham district is not great but are the schools necessarily bad? I have visited the MASS DOE website but have not had the chance to get into the root issue of the low rating. Any guidance will help. Thanks
Generally speaking the area north of 90 is the best but in many cases it is less accessible to the highway itself which will add commute time. The neighborhoods between the roads running north to Sudbury and Wayland are more suburban and quiet whereas those south of the MA Pike are denser and have more businesses. Pre Covid Framingham can be pretty congested but that isn't unlike small parts of Shrewsbury that lead to commuting roads.

Be aware that most of the cheaper places are slab ranches. Framingham is hardly the bargain I thought it would be. I actually like Framingham but ended up ruling it out earlier in 2020.

Old 01-14-2021, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Generally speaking the area north of 90 is the best but in many cases it is less accessible to the highway itself which will add commute time. The neighborhoods between the roads running north to Sudbury and Wayland are more suburban and quiet whereas those south of the MA Pike are denser and have more businesses. Pre Covid Framingham can be pretty congested but that isn't unlike small parts of Shrewsbury that lead to commuting roads.

Be aware that most of the cheaper places are slab ranches. Framingham is hardly the bargain I thought it would be. I actually like Framingham but ended up ruling it out earlier in 2020.
Framingham, Marlborough, Hudson all seem like fairly poor values these days, especially when neighboring communities with better performing schools and higher median incomes are only marginally higher cost.

I suspect the Natick ‘boom’ favorably skews Framingham perception, but IMO it’s a hard sell when you review the Ashland and Hopkinton school/income data vs COL.

Old 01-14-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Framingham, Marlborough, Hudson all seem like fairly poor values these days, especially when neighboring communities with better performing schools and higher median incomes are only marginally higher cost.

I suspect the Natick ‘boom’ favorably skews Framingham perception, but IMO it’s a hard sell when you review the Ashland and Hopkinton school/income data vs COL.
It's the commute. Framingham is already kind of fringy to the job hospots, those two towns would be in most cases even worse.

Old 01-14-2021, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
It's the commute. Framingham is already kind of fringy to the job hospots, those two towns would be in most cases even worse.
Marginally worse, depending on the destination. OPs only known destination is Worcester, so in her case not at all. Hopkinton would be preferable, but depending on her area of expertise and her husbands job security, Shrewsbury likely remains her best target in terms of school quality AND diversity. I wouldn’t rule out Acton either, though the tax burden and commute to Worcester suffers some ... err ... significantly.

Old 01-14-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Marginally worse, depending on the destination. OPs only known destination is Worcester, so in her case not at all
In OP's case, yes. But that's why Framingham isn't as cheap as you think it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts