Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 07:29 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
In OP's case, yes. But that's why Framingham isn't as cheap as you think it should be.
I get it, but does it not not seem like a poor value compared to, say, Acton? A top 20 district with express rail in Cambridge and tolerable upper 95/128/Waltham access. Particularly if you review job market data which shows the high wage/high skill jobs are largely concentrated in Boston/Cam and upper 95. Or even Ashland or Hopkinton which are top 30-50 districts?

The lower/middle tier towns are being squeezed up in this low inventory/low rate environment. Meanwhile their higher priced peers are remaining *relatively* static.

For OP, the reality is in a theoretical rising rate/declining value RE market Shrewsbury will still be one of the the most desirable Worcester 'burbs, where as Framingham will remain the bottom of tier of metrowest 'burbs. I'm not trying to beat of up on Framingham as the north side of town is very nice, but ain't Natick and it ain't gonna be Natick unless there is an absolutely massive gentrification push.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 07:55 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
tolerable upper 95/128/Waltham access
Only barely and you would have to leave pretty early. North Framingham would be better, and would also be more realistic to work Downtown or Back Bay from there.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:58 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
For OP, the reality is in a theoretical rising rate/declining value RE market Shrewsbury will still be one of the the most desirable Worcester 'burbs, where as Framingham will remain the bottom of tier of metrowest 'burbs.

Most of you aren't old enough to remember the real estate correction at the S&L meltdown around 1990. The gold plated towns held their value pretty well. The blue collar towns that had been bid up in the bubble of the 1980s collapsed. Any distress sale in a gold plated suburb or desirable city neighborhood kept the bank whole. That wasn't the case in most of the metro. That really didn't happen at Dot.Com or the Great Recession. I think it gives many in metro Boston the mistaken belief that the Boston market is recession-proof.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:00 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Only barely and you would have to leave pretty early. North Framingham would be better, and would also be more realistic to work Downtown or Back Bay from there.
The question is if this is enough to offset all the things that make Framingham a worse choice.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:09 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
The question is if this is enough to offset all the things that make Framingham a worse choice.
If you have to go to the office 5 days a week, perhaps. That's why Framingham and Acton's prices are comparable.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Most of you aren't old enough to remember the real estate correction at the S&L meltdown around 1990. The gold plated towns held their value pretty well. The blue collar towns that had been bid up in the bubble of the 1980s collapsed. Any distress sale in a gold plated suburb or desirable city neighborhood kept the bank whole. That wasn't the case in most of the metro. That really didn't happen at Dot.Com or the Great Recession. I think it gives many in metro Boston the mistaken belief that the Boston market is recession-proof.
It definitely did happen in the Great Recession, albeit a smaller scale than the S&L.

I still have a valuations spreadsheet I downloaded circa ‘12 comparing 2008 to 2010.

Framingham: -11.7%
Southborough: -3.7%
Natick: 3.1%
Hopkinton: -5.5%
Marlborough: -7.7%

Shrewsbury came in at -6.6% (worse than I imagined) and Acton at -2.8%. At the time, Acton-Box and Natick were both very hyped school districts. Southborough was still seen the ‘gold plated’ ‘borough.

Buy the district, not the house.

Old 01-15-2021, 10:07 AM

16 posts, read 15,799 times
Quote:
Marginally worse, depending on the destination. OPs only known destination is Worcester, so in her case not at all. Hopkinton would be preferable, but depending on her area of expertise and her husbands job security, Shrewsbury likely remains her best target in terms of school quality AND diversity. I wouldn’t rule out Acton either, though the tax burden and commute to Worcester suffers some ... err ... significantly.
Thank you. My husband and I are both in Pharma industry.

Old 01-15-2021, 10:11 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by av0205 View Post
Thank you. My husband and I are both in Pharma industry.
Worcester is at the periphery of the pharma industry area in MA. It's much more likely you will find a job closer to Boston than in Worcester.
If you are getting a house in Shrewsbury you can get to all the pharma places between Worcester and 95. Which is quite a bit. I wouldn't commute to Cambridge from Shrewsbury though (Cambridge has probably the highest concentration of pharma jobs).

Old 01-15-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Worcester is at the periphery of the pharma industry area in MA. It's much more likely you will find a job closer to Boston than in Worcester.
If you are getting a house in Shrewsbury you can get to all the pharma places between Worcester and 95. Which is quite a bit. I wouldn't commute to Cambridge from Shrewsbury though (Cambridge has probably the highest concentration of pharma jobs).
Agreed. I'd target Acton given OPs expertise. Acton is a much more tolerable Cambridge commute, especially if/when express trains return. Maybe Littleton/Westford too.

Old 01-15-2021, 10:57 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
It definitely did happen in the Great Recession, albeit a smaller scale than the S&L.

I still have a valuations spreadsheet I downloaded circa ‘12 comparing 2008 to 2010.

Framingham: -11.7%
Southborough: -3.7%
Natick: 3.1%
Hopkinton: -5.5%
Marlborough: -7.7%

Shrewsbury came in at -6.6% (worse than I imagined) and Acton at -2.8%. At the time, Acton-Box and Natick were both very hyped school districts. Southborough was still seen the ‘gold plated’ ‘borough.

Buy the district, not the house.

I bought my West Portugal house for 80.56% of the town's 2008 assessed value. I think I overpaid by 5% so a 25% drop. Goes to show how metro Boston defied what was happening elsewhere in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts